· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Tournament events question
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Tournament events question
    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which event goes? What should organizers DROP?
    Mixed Doubles
    1%
     1%  [ 1 ]
    Open Doubles
    7%
     7%  [ 4 ]
    Men's Doubles
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Ladies Doubles
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Mixed Trios
    67%
     67%  [ 36 ]
    Blind Draw Cricket
    11%
     11%  [ 6 ]
    Blind Draw 501
    1%
     1%  [ 1 ]
    Men's Singles 501
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Men's Singles Cricket
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Ladies Singles 501
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Ladies Singles Cricket
    3%
     3%  [ 2 ]
    None -- Keep them all.
    5%
     5%  [ 3 ]
    Total Votes : 53

Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Tournament events question Reply with quote

OK, you've read the poll and probably taken it too, but here is the skinny:

Lot's of folks are talking about up coming tournaments and past ones and the events they do and don't want to see/play.

So I'm curious, if I were running a big multi event tournament which of these stay's and which goes. You choose what goes -- the rest then, of course, stay.

You can choose only one (this poll) but feel free to comment here.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've included the option to keep them all in case you like all events and would play in every one of them.

Erik
    Shoot_Well
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose mixed triples.

Totally selfish reason... the more people in the game .. ie trips , teams, the longer you wait betwen shots, the less I can focus because you get more than two people and it tends to become too "social", the worse I shoot. I'm social between games not during Wink

If there wasn't such a shortage of women around here for the guys to ask for these events I would say no when asked to play.... but since there aren't many of us who will go to tourneys I play.
    BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot_Well wrote:
    I chose mixed triples.

the more people in the game .. ie trips , teams, the longer you wait betwen shots....

Bang on.

UsualChaos
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate trios in league as well as tourneys. Its just a big waste of time.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    GRANITE STATE "A" DIV CHAMPS

MILL CITY DART LEAGUE
    "POLISH PUNISHERS" A DIVISION
    R.I.P. Mikey 2008
    ADartAttack
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Mixed Trios can be a good money maker, depending on where in the tournament you place it. Look at it this way: Granted, there are never going to be enough women. HOWEVER -- if you "recycle" the women (when one team gets knocked out the woman is placed with another team waiting for their board call), then you can actually have more people and more teams playing overall.

But placement in the tournament is where most directors make mistakes. It should never be a last event of any day, nor should it ever fall on the last day of a tournament. A mid-Saturday is best for mixed trips. That is when the most players will be in attendance at the tournament.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're on the right track. The two events that we are dropping (or changing) from the last two years are mixed trios (we're keeping mixed doubles) and blind draw cricket (replaced with men's and ladie's cricket doubles).
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having won the blind draw cricket with Roger Crystal I hate to see it gone! Very Happy hehe
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCommandant wrote:
    Having won the blind draw cricket with Roger Crystal I hate to see it gone! Very Happy hehe

Yeah, yeah... Like I could forget. You beat Patty and I in the finals, remember? Rolling Eyes Confused

The main reason I wanted that event changed was to facilitate people getting their doubles partners to come. When we only had one doubles event that required a partner to be brought, some would say "That's not worth it." and stay home.
    catfish
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed Trips and the dreaded 4-person are the 2 biggest time eaters a tournament can have. Yes the trips can make serious money for the tournament (just ask Music City), but not scheduled at the right time it can all but kill the next event and anything following that.

A tournament director that keeps moving things along instead of waiting for the entire bracket to finish the round before starting the next can make up the difference. The recycling issue has to be watched by the director so as to not slow the brackets but I support it big time. Gets more men to play without having the lady on board. Besides due to bad luck or just getting beat you might on the rare occasion get Marilyn or Stacy or Carolyn when you could not get them to play with you otherwise.

The standard tournament style of play should not have more than 14 events including the draws. Just make sure you have enough boards to handle the group you are trying to attract.

Another big time saver is to schedule the Singles event for one group followed by the doubles for the next group at the same time. Such as ladies singles followed by Mens doubles. Then reversed Mens singles followed by Ladies doubles. Half the ladies are finished when the men start and when the first round of the mens doubles are done there should be plenty of room for the Ladies again. Alternating boards for each group also helps such as Ladies singles on 1,3,5,7,etc. by the last one called the first group just might be done or almost. Then start the Men on 2,4,6,8, etc. No one stepping on each other. Nothing worse than 12 people crammed on 3 boards with the next 8 wide open.

Have run events like this many times and the only time I ran behind was a 1 hour 45 minute power outage at the hotel.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you run any round robin events Catfish? They are the staple up here and I will be lynched if I get away from them. In fact, the perception around here is that the round robins are exactly the reason people will travel to come to our Oregon Open. Not sure if I agree, but that's probably just the Southern Californian in me coming out... Wink
    Punkin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted out the Trips . . . even though I really enjoy playing it. Our Trips is a money maker for our Houston Tournaments, but I would give it up to have both Mixed Doubles back (selfish me Twisted Evil ). We do hold the Trips mid-afternoon Saturday so timing is not the issue for us, we run a great tournament even if I do say so myself Cool (I am on the tournament committee). We dropped Mixed Cricket on Sunday so that the out-of-towners could be assured of making their flights, we were not getting finished until 6 PM and people complained about missing their flights.

We conducted a casual survey and we were surprised Shocked to learn that we were one of the few tournaments that had two Mixed Doubles events AND a Mixed Trips. I suggested that we have the two Mixed events but hold one on Saturday in place of the Trips (our other is on Friday night). I was vetoed. I hate when that happens. Rolling Eyes
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me personally, I like singles and doubles only.. trips and more are just too long between shots, I like fast games... steady shooting....
    Steven Ringer Wilcox, #1 WDF RANKED YOUTH IN NORTH AMERICA...WAY TO GO STEVEN
    jester
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no mixed triples
    no mixed doubles
    all singles and open doubles for both 501 and cricket with a blind draw friday night and saturday night.
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about all the "personal" feelings; too long between shots, etc. Let's look at the OVERALL picture...

There are invariably around twice as many men as there are women. This means that a mixed triples will be including nearly ALL the players at the tournament. That means more money coming in, and as has been said, it can be a good moneymaker. That, of course, helps the tournament.

With more men than women, mixed doubles usually sees half the guys sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Not good business when they could be PLAYING (and PAYING).

It is one of the best chances women have to make money, and decent money at that. We don't want to upset the women now, do we? The more we can get, the better it is for all of us.

Women will usually be far more willing to jump in and play a mixed triples than a mixed doubles, knowing that they would be depriving TWO players of an opportunity to play. Plus, weaker players will often feel more comfortable knowing that there are two players to perhaps carry them through a few rounds.

The one thing that doesn't work well is scheduling a mixed doubles and mixed triples at the same tournament. Apart from the first point I mentioned above (even with two mixed doubles, a lot of guys end up not playing), it can also lead to bad feelings. You have two mixed doubles teams, and then you have to turn around to one of your women and tell them that you are shooting with your partner's partner!

I've even had to do that with Stacy Bromberg (not that she had any problems getting fixed up. The problem is that when somebody wants to fix up with you for a touurnament, it is usually accepted that it is for the WHOLE weekend.

So, whatever you may feel personally, look at just how valuable it is to a tournament. You want as many players playing as possible.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    www.adodarts.com/browniesblog/index.php
    dsm1mtm
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the mixed doubles and mixed triples should be the first to go.
    Punkin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone dissing on the mixed events? Don't you like us girls? Shocked

I do agree with what Chunky said . . . albeit it what I said earlier.

Don't be a hater . . . as Miss Sunshine says frequently! Very Happy
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punkin wrote:
    Why is everyone dissing on the mixed events?

At the risk of upsetting a few people, it's that the wants and needs of the individual are seemingly more important than the needs of the tournament. While tournaments are not necessarily designed to make a huge profit for the hosting association, it is really not good if they lose money.

Just as a small addition, I do respect what Catfish said earlier about the time mixed events and 4-person teams can take. One of the the things to take into consideration (and I realize this could be developed into a new thread, and in fact, I probably will start one when I get back in a couple of weeks) is SCHEDULING.

So many tournaments seem to have a bunch of events thrown in together, with no thought of how long an event is likely to take. The first thing one should do when thinking of running a tournament is to figure out how many boards there will be, and how long it is likely to take an event to complete.

You have to take into account each round, as two T4 matches take the same time to finish as the T64 round played on 32 boards, even though only two boards are being used. For men's singles/doubles, good, basic rule of thumb is to allow approximately 20 minutes per round. So, 20 minutes for the final, another 20 for T4, 20 for T8, 20 for T16, 20 for T32, and 20 for T64 (assuming you are expecting something in the region of 50-80 players for the singles. That gives you 2 hours - using 32 boards for the first round. If you have less boards, then you take that into account. If you timing a mixed triples, allow 25 minutes per match.

Proper timing will help things run a lot smoother; maybe not perfect, but you shouldn't be far out. Anyway, sorry for digressing, and I will elaborate in the near future, but I just thought it needed to be said .

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My basic philosophy for what events to include is pretty simple. Each day of the weekend should feature doubles events for each sex and singles events for each sex. That means everyone gets to play both singles and doubles of the two major games (501 and cricket). It also means that if they ask someone to attend to play doubles with, that they will be able to play together twice.

Next, I don't like having any event late on Sunday to allow people time to travel and give us a chance to break things down.

So, as far as I'm concerned, that leaves Friday night and either early morning Saturday or later on Saturday to run two other types of events. Blind draw has become quite a big attraction for Friday night so that's what our proposed format has there, and we chose (for this year anyway) to have mixed doubles as our other event (maybe we'll do trios next time). We also chose to put it as the first event on Saturday.

Because it's the tradition up here (and, I'm told it will probably remain that way) to run round robin events, we HAVE to limit the number of events we run. If the area here really cared about bringing in a lot more entries, they'd run more events and make them knockouts. However, for this area that simply won't work right now since people have become used to getting a lot of darts for their money.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder if we are to look at this from a business perspective then the Mixed Trio's would have to be the first thing to dump. Clearly it's the least popular so far.

I'd give this poll a few weeks (or longer) to get a decent sampling but right now you are getting polling data potentially from all over the world.

Is that a good thing? I am not certain, but one thing for certain is that mixed trio's is getting hammered.

Myself? I don't like trios or quads becuase they are too slow. I want to play in singles events and doubles when there are no singles. But I'm not what matters, what matters is what the darters want (the customer) and it is looking like a strong possibility that the time could be better spent on other events.

Erik
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigB wrote:
    It also means that if they ask someone to attend to play doubles with, that they will be able to play together twice.

Excellent point. I've never understood why some tournaments have just one doubles.

Quote:
    Next, I don't like having any event late on Sunday to allow people time to travel and give us a chance to break things down.

Very wise. There was one tournament a few years ago where the last event was the 501 singles. I won it - AT 11.30pm!!!

Quote:
    Because it's the tradition up here (and, I'm told it will probably remain that way) to run round robin events, we HAVE to limit the number of events we run. If the area here really cared about bringing in a lot more entries, they'd run more events and make them knockouts. However, for this area that simply won't work right now since people have become used to getting a lot of darts for their money.

That's something a lot of people forget; some areas do have "traditions", but a lot of it is just that certain things seem to work well in certain areas. Round-robins are popular in your area, and work well, just the same as the players in Iowa and Minnesota enjoy double-elimination events. Whatever works where you are, DO IT. Besides, there's nothing wrong with a little variety.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCommandant wrote:
    I have to wonder if we are to look at this from a business perspective then the Mixed Trio's would have to be the first thing to dump. Clearly it's the least popular so far.

Remember that business also includes the amount of players who are able to play an event, and also the money you take in.

Quote:
    I'd give this poll a few weeks (or longer) to get a decent sampling but right now you are getting polling data potentially from all over the world.

To be honest, I don't think that views from around the world are necessarily that relevant here. You have to remember that tournaments in the US are pretty much unique. Nowhere else do they run the kind of tournaments we do (certainly not on a regular basis), but then again, they don't have to. Things like simple geography, travel expense and time, and even vacation time, play more of a role here than anywhere else.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Steve, but if Trios gets 68% of the vote (the site is predominantly US) then it ought to be the first to be considered for the axe.

It's easy enough to run a Blind Draw on Friday to get folks into the weekend, a Men's Doubles and Ladies Singles Saturday morning, switching to Ladies Doubles and Men's Singles in the afternoon and following with a Mixed Doubles or Blind Draw Saturday for those interested. Then have Sunday for the remaining points events and doubles not run on Saturday.

What gets me the most on tournament weekends is the lack of time to relax, enjoy the weekend and catch a bite to eat! Most tournaments these days try to run 11-13 events total and if you are playing well and entering them all you never sit down. At least that's been my experience.

Now, a weekend where I can play the events I'm interested in, eat a decent meal, enjoy myself visiting friends from out of town and which the tournaments organizers don't lose money but still run events for everyone is what I feel is best Smile

This is why I am in favor of the 100% payout for events that aren't going to matter one way or another. Or a certain payout with the 'or 100%' caveat to entice people.

What worries me is when organizers try to hard to sanction big payouts and lose money on events like the Trios. For one thing, the sanctioning only means you are going to pay out what's written on the paper and that's it (so it guarantees you lose if turnout is low) and it does nothing else -- no points for standings etc.

Why have the big payout? To attract more people of course. A $10k event is likely to attract more folks then a $1400k event for certain just as a $20k event will but as seen at the LVDC there are limits -- after all, a $240,000 event couldn't even get as many entrants as a $20,000 event in the same town. So there are limits to the effect of having a big tournament.

My ideal BIG payout event would be less events with higher payouts -- but then looking at the poll on the front page, that is the popular choice also.

Erik
    GeorgeCostanza
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ged rid of all mixed events PERIOD. Bring back 2 DOUBLES ( 501 & Cricket ) Steve , if you are worried about ladies sitting, they can have 2 doubles too. If they don't get the #'s, don't guarentee their money. Years ago many a person traveling across the US for these tournaments would make sure there was 2 singles/2 doubles to warrant an airfare cost associated with getting there !
    TrainerR77
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeCostanza wrote:
    Ged rid of all mixed events PERIOD. Bring back 2 DOUBLES ( 501 & Cricket ) Steve , if you are worried about ladies sitting, they can have 2 doubles too. If they don't get the #'s, don't guarentee their money. Years ago many a person traveling across the US for these tournaments would make sure there was 2 singles/2 doubles to warrant an airfare cost associated with getting there !

How gracious of you to allow us to have 2 doubles too....Pretty sure I have not been to a tournament where the men have 2 doubles and the Ladies only one...anyways, before I get too riled up I will move on...

Having never ran a large tournament it is hard for me to truly analyze this. Because as Steve says, it is good business sense to have Trips bc more people are involved. Plus it involves those who are not confident enough to play in singles/doubles....

Also, this poll is somewhat biased to the, how do I say this, the more "hardcore" dart player. Because the casual, one or two tourneys a year (the ones that I have been told fund the tournaments bc of sheer numbers), player is not on SEWA. So really, Erik, you say that 68% say Trips but you have to look what sample size of "tournament goers" you actually have here...not just sample size of people on SEWA. I didnt see what the actual number of voters were, but can you really say that it has significant value when you apply it to ALL players who attend tournaments?? No it just represents those players who attend tournaments AND our members here. Which of course will probably have different views.

RIP Mikey....I will truly miss you.

Wink Rhonda
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Page 1 of 4

Jump to: