· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - How many events a year?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

How many events a year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many tournaments?
    1-3
    23%
     23%  [ 3 ]
    4-6
    38%
     38%  [ 5 ]
    7-9
    15%
     15%  [ 2 ]
    1 every month!
    23%
     23%  [ 3 ]
    Total Votes : 13

Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: How many events a year? Reply with quote

OK, so you are not rich, like to compete and play in dart tournaments. How many larger sized events a year would you go to if they were within 250 miles of your hometown?

What factors are at play here?
    Ramses
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd drive 250 miles for one, but probably not more than that. Again, you can look to my other posts...if my skill were better I'd probably say I'd attend more. Who wants to go all that way to lose? I can lose little tourneys that are held at least two to three days per week here!

Hunter
    triploader
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramses wrote:
    I'd drive 250 miles for one, but probably not more than that. Again, you can look to my other posts...if my skill were better I'd probably say I'd attend more. Who wants to go all that way to lose? I can lose little tourneys that are held at least two to three days per week here!

Hunter

im with you on this one. i would love to do more but on top of the fact my skill isnt quite there i also dont have the finances to uproot all over the country.

Doug
    wsuxjer
    SEWA Admin
    SEWA Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play in one every month, but paying for travel and hotels might get to be too much. I put 7-9 though.
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

triploader wrote:
    Ramses wrote:

Hunter

im with you on this one. i would love to do more but on top of the fact my skill isnt quite there i also dont have the finances to uproot all over the country.

Doug

Same here. If there were divisional play I might try more.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever get back to playing like I know I can, then I'd play two a month if I could.

Maybe after I get my dart pub built downstairs I'll be playing more and can get back to the level I want to be at...
    DoubleTrouble
    WSOD QUALIFIER
    WSOD QUALIFIER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I'll play around 15 tournaments in the 300-500mile range. I usually dont go further then this because I dont like to fly. Last year driving from Michigan to CT sucked and isnt something Id like to do more then once or twice a year.

If I had enough tournies between 150-250 miles I'd probably make about 30 a year depending on burnout.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTrouble wrote:
    This year I'll play around 15 tournaments in the 300-500mile range. I usually dont go further then this because I dont like to fly. Last year driving from Michigan to CT sucked and isnt something Id like to do more then once or twice a year.

If I had enough tournies between 150-250 miles I'd probably make about 30 a year depending on burnout.

I wish!!!! There is only TWO ADO sanctioned tournaments a year within that range of me...imagine how hard it is to earn those points! hehe

I have to fly everywhere but Portland because unless I want to drive 11 to 16 hours, I'm just not close enough.

I hope to change that a bit though, but need help.
    Erik
    ECM
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real factor is money. If I won enough to justify it, I'd keep going, at least two a month forever. Or until my arm falls off.
    DoubleTrouble
    WSOD QUALIFIER
    WSOD QUALIFIER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not all of the tournaments I will go to are ADO sanctioned. There is around five in the 6K-10K range that I'll go to without points.

It takes alot of work but you can get more tournaments going in your area. Two years ago my hometown had one 5K tournament and now we are up to two 10K tournaments this year. Next year there are plans to add an additional 5K shoot in the summer months as well. The turnouts havent been super great but luckily enough the tournaments at 10K have been able to break even.

One way to really increase out of town turnout is having an interleague challenge match on Sunday of the tournament. Events will be held friday and saturday. Try to get the largest leagues within traveling distance to participate. Our league's all-star team usually runs around 25 people or so. With five different leagues competing plus local and pros its pretty easy to sustain a 10K payout.

If you are struggling to get local players to show up, divisional singles and doubles are a good way to go. Try to work the event schedule so that the lower divisional events dont coincide with the regular events. The idea is to get people out, get em hooked, and get them entering the regular events as well.

An example schedule would be:

Friday Night
    6pm Pro Singles
    7pm Amatuer Open Singles
    9pm Draw Doubles

Saturday
    10:00am Amatuer Doubles
    10:30am Womens Doubles
    11:30am Mens Doubles
    1:30pm Mixed Triples
    3:00pm Womens Singles
    4:00pm Mens Singles
    6:00pm Mixed Doubles
    8:00pm Blind Draw

This schedule is designed to get more local shooters to the venue early and hopefully retain a percentage into the blind draw on Friday and the mens doubles on Saturday. You will find that with the higher percentage of local players cashing they will be more apt to enter the open events as well.

Money is not a huge concern with the local players as they wont have travel expenses etc. Try to keep the entry fee on these events low. People have a hard time putting up 15dollars an event because they have never done it before. Something a bit higher then a local blind draw seems to have the best result.

Keep in mind your amatuers are pretty new. Some nice plaques or shirts for the winners will go a long way. Be creative maybe a bragging rights title will be good for your tournament. A plaque kept onsite at the tournament with the name of each years winner added can also go a long way to getting folks off the couch.

Just some ideas...
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: