· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Chris Mason Interview
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Chris Mason Interview
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveboygreen wrote:
    One of the main reasons in me leaving the P.D.P.A was because of how the 'lesser' players are treated, the way I look at it is everybody pays the same to play the tournaments and also pay the same membership so should all be treated equally.

Absolutely, and naturally, we Americans were also considered 'lesser' players.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    www.adodarts.com/browniesblog/index.php
    Charis
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading all this , would that mean now that the unevenly distributed payout at the PDC tournaments is deliberate?

That only the top ones are wanted and promoted?

That would explain at least some points I kept wondering about, including the fact that the PDPA seems to have no influence at all or doesn´t seem to be really interested in the welfare of the members.

But why then try to expand to US or Germany or the Netherlands?
    All are huge markets, but I think nowhere you can gain much, if you don´t try to include and encourage native players.
    It might be quite interesting in the beginning to see native players compete with PDC tops, but I doubt there´ll be any lasting effect, if those tops will win all the time.
    Native sponsors will not be interested nor television stations nor the spectators, even native players will stop to find it exciting.

And what do you think would be an alternative for a professional player?
    WDF doesn´t seem to work either.
    OC
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, since Chris's rank at 18th in the order of merit is based on two years of prize money. What sort of winnings has he had this year? If you play a lot of tournaments and don't do well...then you've spent a lot of money and little to show for it. Just wondering if that might be part of the problem.
    OC
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, did not take long to find the answer to my question, about 2007 earnings. The PDPA website has a superb spreadsheet with details for every event and player up through Hayling Isle. If you have any questions about prize money and who earned what and when, its all there.

I've often wondered if there is anything similar for player earnings in the BDO. When a PDC player talks about "going back" to the BDO, just what are they going back to in terms of earnings from darts (prizemoney)?
    RogerCarter
    General Carter
    General Carter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you know as well as I do, players talk a lot of smack and in the end it is all flushed down the toilet. I don't feel the PDPA is a "proper" union group. It is, however, to represent dart players. But to what extent? If the top 16 werer the only ones remaining after the 17 thru whatever said stuff it, then the "potential" earner would lose a considerable amount of income. Television does not want to have only 8 to 16 players and see it grow stagnate. I wouldn't think so anyway.
    I know we think somewhat alike, we also blow smoke out our backsides sometimes. But both of us DO want to see darts get better. And I would think we could do this right here in America. We do not need any outside organization to do this for us.
    How can we figure out a way to promote to potential sponsors and let the outside organizations "join" us after we get things moving? Is this possible? Has it been tried? Is there a paper trail of potential sponsors telling us "no"? Am I retarded? (no answer necessary)
    There has to be a way for us, the players, to make darts grow in america for the professional "wannabe".
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerCarter wrote:
    It is, however, to represent dart players. But to what extent?

Exactly.

Quote:
    If the top 16 werer the only ones remaining after the 17 thru whatever said stuff it, then the "potential" earner would lose a considerable amount of income.

How do you know that's not what the PDC, or at least BH, wants? It happened 15 years ago...

Quote:
    But both of us DO want to see darts get better. And I would think we could do this right here in America. We do not need any outside organization to do this for us.

The problem, as has been often stated, is TV. We need it, but we need money to get it.

Quote:
    There has to be a way for us, the players, to make darts grow in america for the professional "wannabe".

I agree, but without the funds, what do we do? What we need is an actual "American", or at least North American tournament on TV. No Brits, and no Dutch. The thing that turns American sports viewers off more than anything is seeing Americans lose.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveboygreen wrote:
    Thats a bit wrong, since when were american players ever excluded from U.K televised comps? We don't get the arse when non U.K players win events.

I think you're taking that a little out of context. I'm not talking about anything related to the PDC or anyone else, but something purely domestic, perhaps even within the ADO. We have our own National Championships (from which foreigners are excluded), and it is exactly that type of event I am talking about for TV. Once the American public can watch American "winners", and start relating to them, we will be well on the way.

Anyway, don't talk to me about anyone being excluded from tournaments. Have you forgotten about the World Series of Darts???

Steve

PS You seem to be getting the arse now...

www.browniedarts.com
    Tom
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think inevitably sponsership is the main key in a good player making good money. Everyone knows Chris is an incredibly talented player, who is in the top 20 of the world but not making a penny from sponsers. Now we have a local player from around here who is making £20'000 plus from sponsers a year. I'd be VERY surprised if that didn't cover every tournament entry and travel costs for the year. Now you consider Chris, who has to travel to America two or three times a year, Holland, amonst many other places. Finacially, wether he wins alot or not, that is going to cost a hell of a lot of money.

I personally think you would have to be incredibly lucky to make a living out of the sport (with current money) without any sponsership.
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charis wrote:
    After reading all this , would that mean now that the unevenly distributed payout at the PDC tournaments is deliberate?

Not as such. Payouts in the UK have traditionally been a little top-heavy, but even less thought seems to go into them these days. However you want to structure a payout, I think that there should be reasonable balance and consistency.

Quote:
    That only the top ones are wanted and promoted?

In a way, yes. Not just as far as the payouts, either. It's just that they should realize that there are more than 8-10 world-class players out there.

Quote:
    But why then try to expand to US or Germany or the Netherlands?
    All are huge markets, but I think nowhere you can gain much, if you don´t try to include and encourage native players.

Exactly. The way I see it, events like the WSoD and US Open were more a means of tapping the US market, and getting more money and coverage for the top few players, than actively trying to help the American game.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    RogerCarter
    General Carter
    General Carter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find you very correct Steve. But at the US Open, Phil was complaining about participating in the Challenge match Saturday night and that he was here to participate in an event that "only paid 12,500 pound". What kind of a champion is that? I would call it greed.
    He could have stayed home for all I care and we would have seen someone else walk away with that money. I, for one, could have survived for a year on that. Maybe he should have just donated it to a charity, that would have been a bit more respectable.

Sponsorship is the only way that we are going to be able to tap into the UK market. Someone needs to be able to fly overseas often enough to make it into the rankings, not just qualify for one or two events. Same goes for Mace, he needs to be able to afford to be the best. Its hard enough with a smaller sponsor, not to mention not having one at all. I paid my own way over for the qualifiers in the UK and it hurt me pretty bad. Won't go there again.
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerCarter wrote:
    Phil was complaining about participating in the Challenge match Saturday night and that he was here to participate in an event that "only paid 12,500 pound". What kind of a champion is that? I would call it greed.

I agree. That we would ever be in such a position...

Quote:
    He could have stayed home for all I care and we would have seen someone else walk away with that money. I, for one, could have survived for a year on that. Maybe he should have just donated it to a charity, that would have been a bit more respectable.

Yep, that's well over twice what I made the whole of last year!

Quote:
    I paid my own way over for the qualifiers in the UK and it hurt me pretty bad. Won't go there again.

Why do you think I quit doing it?

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    Vortek9
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of comments:

Roger, the booing towards you was out of order plain and simple especially as you won fair and square.

Chunky, the money in the game is not a problem, its the man at the top that's a problem. Follow his path backwards in Boxing and Snooker and to some extent in Soccer. He is a business man plain and simple which is fair enough but does what he likes when he likes and changes things to suit himself and not for the benefit of the players.

The PDPA is weak because the man at the top of that helm is weak. The board is one member shy of being complete (should have 6 members and there is only 5). On that board 3 of those members were not voted on and 2 of them are not members of the PDPA.
    The chairman at the front of this ship and who is supposed to represent the players only represents himself. He is not the right person for the job and the sooner the members sort out this problem the sooner they can move forward and have a proper representative body.
    RogerCarter
    General Carter
    General Carter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to figure out what you were talking about Vortek. I forgot that I had mentioned it in this thread. Let me first let it be known that when I said "Kirk had a great crowd behind him', and then when I said "When THEY booed me...", I did not mean Kirks following. The actual boos came from another part of the room. I know no one likes to see their home countyman beaten and the boos didn't bother me one bit. The heat bothered me, but not the boos.
    I have played in several international events and have come across worse things than that. Especially from the players I was playing against. What you do is get over it and keep on trucking.
    Now, what were we talking about?
    Skydiverjj
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerCarter wrote:

I have played in several international events and have come across worse things than that. Especially from the players I was playing against. What you do is get over it and keep on trucking.
    Now, what were we talking about?

Kindly enlighten me as to what you recieved from the players you were up against? I would find it highly upsetting and strangely humorous that the Brits would be unsportsmanlike.......Just not what I would expect.

Call me Darth Balls.

Those who dance are often considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
    habanerojooz
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerCarter wrote:
    .... We do not need any outside organization to do this for us. How can we figure out a way to promote to potential sponsors and let the outside organizations "join" us after we get things moving? Is this possible? Has it been tried?

Back in the early 90's there was a movement to get things going here, it was called....North American Professional Darters Association (NAPDA). It didn't last long, but it was formed and several prominent players at that time joined it. I'm sure Steve remembers this and may have insight as to why it failed. You probably remember it too.

RogerCarter wrote:
    Am I retarded? (no answer necessary)

Shocked Laughing Just busting your chops. No you're not retarded. I like your passion for this subject. I want to see this all come together. Thank you for carrying the torch and trying to get this going.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

habanerojooz wrote:
    Back in the early 90's there was a movement to get things going here, it was called....North American Professional Darters Association (NAPDA). It didn't last long, but it was formed and several prominent players at that time joined it. I'm sure Steve remembers this and may have insight as to why it failed. You probably remember it too.

Although I was aware of them back then, I never delved into what they were all about, but I'd venture to guess that they simply formed at the wrong time. Darts was headed into a tail-spin in the early 90's and I bet even the best formed professional dart association would have had major issues getting off the ground at that time.

That said, darts is making a huge comeback right now so the timing is ripe for new ideas.

Of course, what's really sad is that we watched (taking it as a joke) the Rock, Paper, Scissors Championship on ESPN last Saturday. It would have been comedic if it wasn't for the fact that they had prime-time TV, could offer $50,000(!) for First Place, complete with a large, energetic crowd and a boxing ring on a stage complete with a referee! Quite often we get the finals on board 19 with the "spectators" warming up for the event that follows, all for the chance to get a few hundred dollars for winning...
    RogerCarter
    General Carter
    General Carter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    Kindly enlighten me as to what you recieved from the players you were up against? I would find it highly upsetting and strangely humorous that the Brits would be unsportsmanlike.......Just not what I would expect.

Ahhh, who said I was talking about the Brits. I have gotten more stick from US players than I have from the Brits. Due to the fact that I play them more often though.

Some are getting the old comments of:
    "Your Welcome"
    "Your not going to go much farther shooting like that"
    "I can't believe you beat me, I am a much better player than you"
    "Man, I didn't deserve that" (Been watching too much Color of Money)
    "You have never played like that before"
    "You were lucky to even be in the game"

And such like that. From the Brits its usually just some of these:
    "Thats the way a professional does it" (Classic Bristow)
    "You should have taken up bowling"
    "Darts is a game of class, you have none"
    "If you play that way, you should win this. Don't see it though"

I've heard it all. And never did I take any of it to heart after the match was over. I may have used it to get aggressive and win a match, but now days, I just laugh at most of them. I am not as good as I used to be and when someone makes a comment after I just "got lucky and beat them" then I kind of laugh at them. Most of the time I will go out of my way to ask them to score my next match, usually with a comment of "Maybe you can learn something." I dont' care how good they are. It makes it fun.
    ec1492
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to change the subject, but by the looks of Stuart Pyke's website Chris just landed a sponsor - good for Chris I really enjoy watching him play & hope this leads to a resurgence in his game.
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerCarter wrote:
    Ahhh, who said I was talking about the Brits. I have gotten more stick from US players than I have from the Brits. Due to the fact that I play them more often though.

I'll back you up on that one, Roger... Don't get me wrong, most American players are wonderful people, and are no problem at all, but I've noticed far more jealousy and resentment over here than in the UK.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    diddle
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Mace has found a new sponsor.

Check out SOD's

Andy and Chris have both posted about it.

He seems chuffed.

Phil Taylor
    RogerCarter
    General Carter
    General Carter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunky wrote:
    RogerCarter wrote:

I'll back you up on that one, Roger... Don't get me wrong, most American players are wonderful people, and are no problem at all, but I've noticed far more jealousy and resentment over here than in the UK.

Steve

Here, Here. How many times have we played each other and tried like hell to beat the crap out of one another? Quite a lot. BUT, we at least had respect for one another, even if we were trying to "one-up" the other one. Laughing
    No place for jealousy when most times a person will lose more than they win. Especially with the format we have in America, but thats another story. You are only better than your opponent in the game, not in life. Shocked
    Agent5432
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerCarter wrote:
    chunky wrote:
    RogerCarter wrote:

Steve

Here, Here. How many times have we played each other and tried like hell to beat the crap out of one another? Quite a lot. BUT, we at least had respect for one another, even if we were trying to "one-up" the other one. Laughing
    "One Up"? is that what your calling it. I've seen it first hand. I don't know what I'd call it because once one of you guys, and it does go both ways, you put the spurs to the one at the dis-advantage. I highly recommend watching Roger and Steve play each other . . . very entertaining as it is no holds barred . . . or whatever the saying is.
    abdulshaz
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell me more … I would love to explore.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Page 2 of 3

Jump to: