· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Are posts too trivial?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Are posts too trivial?
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Site Information and Questions
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are posts too trivial?
    Yes. Too much nonsense not enough content
    12%
     12%  [ 5 ]
    No. It's a forum, the mainpage is for serious articles.
    35%
     35%  [ 14 ]
    Maybe. Some users spend too much time writing nothing.
    37%
     37%  [ 15 ]
    Doesn't matter either way
    15%
     15%  [ 6 ]
    Can you say soap opera?
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 40

Charis
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, digger, would you mind telling us more precisely or detailed, where we did stray away?

I think, we , who feel everything is fine, would perhaps be able better to understand the criticism.

I still think it´s a great Forum and a very lively place and really much better than our German Forums and much more a Dart Forum than those German Forums are.

I still can´t see, there´s too less Dart stuff in it, I know I sometimes post silly comments, I throw around a lot of tomatoes and monkeys, but for me those humorous posts are in some way necessary as well.

You´ll find in all jobs or activities dedicated people, who laugh about themselves or make jokes about themselves.
    The best jokes about certain jobs or hobbys usually come from insiders,
    most jokes about musicians come from musicians.
    For me taking something serious just includes to be able to laugh about it or about me and my failures, and from what I see and read on the site, a lot of members feel the same.

So, digger, please explain, what you mean.
    I am sure, nobody here wants to loose such members as you are.
    digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, I still think it's a great site and I don't really see anything that needs to be changed, but personally, I stopped coming because many of the posts were either things we've already addressed, or I couldn't participate in the discussions because they were to area/geographically-specific.

The only forum I really actually posted in (as a member, not an admin) was the Tools of the Trade fourm. Also, and this is strictly personal, but I felt left out in many ways, but not through anything that was said or done here, but my home dart life.

I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, but everytime I came here, people were talking about how much fun they had playing at their local pub, in their league, or just with friends.

I have none of that here. Not anymore, anyway. My dart league fell apart due to petty squabbles and immature behaviour by my captains (you know how childish darters can be some times) and I just got tired of having something I loved turned into just another day at work.

Another reason I felt bad is because I was the sole steel player in a community of soft-tippers who never even bothered to try plaing steel. It was depressing for me to watch others have fun while all I could do was keep score and take care of the books.

I don't think it's because I was burned out, but almost the opposite. After not being able to do what you love the most, you start giving up on things little by little because it hurts too much to keep holding on to them.

what does all this have to do with the site? Nothing actually. I still love it here. However, I'll continue to lie low until I feel it's time to fully come back. I still visit every day, I just don't know how to contribute, take part, and most importantly, just have fun if I'm not actually playing darts in real life.

All in all, it's my objective opinion that for a person like me, it's hard to find a niche among so many forums. I have a place here as an admin and I relally like helping people, but there are times that I'd like to come here and enjoymyself, however, like I said, the only thing I'd be able to talk about are my practice sessions and my darts supplies.

If anything, and as I said earlier, I think the best thing for the forums to do is to stay a bit more focused on darts. We've grown quite a bit and I think we need to review what direction we're going and what we need to do in the future.

We've reached a great place in the history of SEWA, but what's next?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, I can understand, what you mean.

You see, for me being from Germany, it´s not always so easy as well.
    A lot of things are really area or geographically-specific and I have no part in them.

And I play more or less only with myself most of the time, because here where I live it´s either soft tipps in pubs, I as a woman wouldn´t like to go alone or nothing.

What makes it easier for me so is that I am nearer the "homeland" of darts, that I happen to know Bob Anderson and his wife and John Part and a few more British darters, that it is easy and not very expensive for me to reach all those British tournaments, you only can see, if you are lucky, on television.
    And its easier, because Germany is a much smaller country as the USA, and the German darts scene is very small and easy to grasp, if you´ve been at some tournaments or events you more or less know everybody, who´s worth knowing Wink .

And of course, I am still a beginner and still very often have silly questions to ask, that probably have been asked by a lot of other members before Confused .

But I am glad, we didn´t drive you away completely and I wish you, that you´ll find more opportunities to have fun with darts soon.
    I am looking forward to be able to share this with you again.
    dartflight
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW?

Just because something has been hashed over a few times, doesn't mean it is old news. Every day there is a new player, every day someone reads further into past forums, every day someone has a little extra time to spend on the web.

What was turned out to be a legitimate question at the beginning of the thread, has turned some out to believe that once a topic is discussed, it can never be relived? Isn't that alienating the novice or new members? How many members have joined since "YOU" joined? Did you not learn from things that had already been posted?

Why do we cover history? Hasn't it already happened? For those who only believe that new items should be covered, I applaud you. However, by covering a vast area of topics, darters have kept in contact about numerous things...and yes, outside of the normal darts.

If you only want to read new posts then only read new posts on things you don't already know. Or, better yet, contribute to "NEW" posts! But, from the sounds of a few, you already know everything there is to know about darts.

In the early 1900's a man once said, "EVERYTHING that can be invented has already been invented"! What a great attitude to have. If I am not mistaken, he was wrong!

Last time I checked, I didn't see anyone walking on water around here. Oh yeah, by the way, I am ticked off![/b]

Darts.....It's not rocket science.....OR.....is it?
    Charis

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dartflight, I think you are both right Wink.

I can understand that digger feels no longer interested in discussing the same topics with every new member just now.
    Especially in "Tools of the Trade " I think, the same topics will be repeated very often. It´s not that a dart provides one with many different questions.
    So I think some long time members might feel no longer interested to dicuss for example the length of the barrel for the twohundredth time.

I myself tend more to your side so, I think though the questions might be similar I either can ignore them or try to help to answer them or I even often find out that similar questions end up in totally new discussions, because every new member adds new ideas and has his/her own view.

But I think digger only withdraw to take a "creative" break, I don´t think he believes he knows everything already.

He´ll find an answer to the question "What´s next" and will come back.
    Rags
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thought crossed my mind when Digger mentioned the publishing biz, which I am also experienced with - only I am in the advertising/graphics end of it. I am also a writer BTW (bi-monthly mag column on Internet Marketing), so trust me I know how the world of "editing" works LOL.

Consider the way individuals enjoy reading for a moment. That could very well be the root of this topic in terms of members that enjoy the straight forward dart talk and those who dont mind a little flexibility within the posts. Everyone will be a little different, we all enjoy reading in different ways.

So looking at it from that point of view, you would also have to consider that we as a whole are the "publishers" and really have no structure or editor and specific guidelines to guide the publishing machine we call SEWA, in comparison to a published magazine or web site if you will.

With a melting pool of contributors - or "writers" - no reader will ever have their perfect publication when they visit here.

Next consider the way individuals write in defferent ways. Some members have the vocabulary and ability to post some very well expressed articles and posts. Some members may simply speak their mind in a few words or a comment.

Just some brain waves to splash into the discussion here...
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on this, like I said in an earlier post is this. There are new members everyday. They don't know anything about searching the archives. So it only stands to reason that questions will be asked over and over again.
    I see nothing wrong with this at all. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this forum for dart players of all skill levels to discuss stratigies and ask questions, and remember the golden rule," there are no dumb queations ".

With that said, we as a team should seek out the newbie's who ask the same question and either guide them to the exsisting thread that has the answer they seek or help them with your own answer, even if its the answer you have given countless times before.

This is a team forum, at least that is what I am led to believe. We shouldn't even be having this type of discussion. Can you imagine if this was out in the open forum, how many possible members we would have chased away or frightened into not posting.

I am not saying anyone is wrong, everyone is entitled to their oppinion. I am just saying, as a team we should be glad to help out anyone with a question or what ever no matter how many times it has come up. I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers with my take on this, it's just how I feel. Cool Cool
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Rags
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    There are new members everyday. They don't know anything about searching the archives. So it only stands to reason that questions will be asked over and over again.

Very true, and just one of several reasons that Eriks Trivia Contests - as evil as they may be - are so beneficial to the site. Try to win one of those contests and before ya know it, you can navigate the web site backwards and forewards.
    digger331

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dartflight wrote:
    WOW?

Last time I checked, I didn't see anyone walking on water around here. Oh yeah, by the way, I am ticked off![/b]

why are you being so hateful?

I only expressed my opinion and if it differs from yours, so what? This wasn't aired in the open forum, this is just something I wanted to say between the group of mods and admins.

I didn't say it wasn't a good site, I only said that would rather see us sticking more to darts-related material, even if we happen to cover it again. I think the best thing about SEWA is that we help so many novice darters and I would never want to lose that. However, and this is why I qualified my comment with the word "personal", is that sometimes it does get old.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way either. Take a look at the pool results. At this time, 15 members have checked the "Maybe. Some users spend too much time writing nothing" selection. What does this tell us?

Also, I'm not a self-proclaimed dart god and anyone here knows I have never claimed to be the grand wizard of darts. To claim that I think otherwise is very hurtful and borders on a personal attack, in my opinion. I really do think you read my post through biased eyes. You've read into it what you wanted to and had no real desire to see my side of it.

If you're going to be angry for someone stating their personal opinion, go ahead and do so - you're only hurting yourself.
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be a voice of reason. First off, to know digger is to know someone who has been an important part of the growth of the site. I have been here as long as digger, and many times I just wont read things I know I have read before, mostly because I dont think I can offer anything new, or add something I already said once before. The good thing is, now there are many others who will chime in and offer advice and such. Thats what makes the site good. It has constant growth and regeneration. Its a choice for anyone to add their thoughts.

As far as the fluff comments, the humor or the chat like posts, they dont hurt anything. They will always be there, you just have to read past them. Its the internet, not a magazine or newspaper. All content is opinion, un abridged at that.

Give diggers situation, as a editor, close to written content, add a lack of the sport he loves in his area, you might see why this might be fustrating. You dont have to agree, but you may feel for the situation. My 2 cents.
    Charis

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, Dartoid, you are probably the only person, who feels offended by yourself.

We all estimate you as our court-jester Laughing.

Skizrock, I agree with you, that there is a lot of frustration in diggers situation.
    But we shouldn´t personalize the topic and he can say, what he thinks as all others do.

And I think it´s necessary from time to time to check where we are and what we want, because one tends to get too content.
    dartflight
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGAIN! WOW!

I never alluded to any one individual.....HOWEVER, posts that have appeared since my last one all mention one person?????

First, I said, "from the sounds of a few, you already know everything there is to know about darts." end quote! This was in reference to "those" who only want new material to read/post.

Second, as far as a "personal attack", "if the shoe fits....". I have no problems with what I posted. I was stating my opinion also. However, this seemed to ruffle feathers.

Charis, I also understand that one may not want to discuss a situation of/about darts over and over again. What makes this site unique is that the older/seasoned players have the opportunity to sit back and see the fruits of their labor (Digger, this includes you!) come to fruition. Veterans of the darting world can get bored with answering the same things over and over again. It's like that 1st grade student who graduates college and says their favorite teacher who inspired them the most, was their 1st grade teacher. Who, after 30 years taught the same thing year after year after year. 2+2 equals 4 EVERYTIME, EVERY YEAR! It doesn't mean they stop participating in "education". The same questions are always going to be there, for someone to ask and for someone to answer.

Digger said "Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way either. Take a look at the pool results. At this time, 15 members have checked the "Maybe. Some users spend too much time writing nothing" selection. What does this tell us?

What this tells me (for what it is worth) is there are trivial posts to some people-some of the time! And for some, just to pump their own posts amounts. Nothing more nothing less! I checked maybe also! Nothing is totally right and nothing totally wrong (except 2+2=5, which ever way you want to go with it).

Third. Where did the term hateful come into play? Because it was my opinion of previous posts? Wouldn't "hateful" apply to all posts then, as these are opinions also?

Fourth, (only because this is all the further my college education taught me to count! LOL!) There is no right or wrong post here. These are more a discussion of opinions and only that. There is not, nor should there ever be any personal ill-feelings portrayed here.

Digger, one day will meet in person, play best of 11-13-25 or what ever and the winner gets to boost their ego....for whatever it counts (you'll probably lose and have to buy me a few rounds!) For the time and discussion of this thread, we will just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. Again, there are no personal conflicts from my side, just my personal observations, as well as yours.

digger331

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    Digger, one day will meet in person, play best of 11-13-25 or what ever and the winner gets to boost their ego

yeah, I'd like that. While I don't like losing, at this point it's a lot better than only having practice time as a way of keeping darts alive. Consider yourself lucky that you have others close by who share your darting interests. Just keep in mind there are those like myself who would love nothing more than to lose a game of darts because it would mean they would also have people to play against.

I'm not asking for any pity, and it makes no difference if you agree with me or not, I just want my side of issue understood.
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Digger. By the way, where are you that you don't have practice partners?

Don't forget to send your pic to my PM for us to add to the sewa photo album (that's dating my age....album!) LMAO!

I thought you lived in Texas? What part?

digger331

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm located about 80 miles west of San Antonio, deep in the middle of soft-tip country. while there are many darts venues in SA, the majority of them occur during the week. The majority of events for my area take place in Austin, which is a major steel community (but peculiarly, no dart shops Question ) with many tournies and pubs leagues, some of the best in the state call it home. Unfortunately, again, Austin is a good 3-hr drive away, and far too distant for my car to travel (I'm lucky if it makes it across town).

I've often tried to talk one of my soft-dart buds into going to a tourney in SA, but they're too intimidated by "real" darters, even tho their PPD avg. is between 14 to 19. It's a major point of contention and frustration for me, but it's something I can't change.

My only alternative is to play soft-tip. while I don't have anything against soft-tip, the way I see it the real game isn't on the board, but in your head, and I'll be d*mned if I'm going to let a machine interfere with my game. I have nothing against electronic scoreboards, but that's about as far as it goes.

Anyway, I'm just disappointed no one in my area shares my passion for steel-tip. When I come to SEWA, it feels like I'm a kid looking thru a candy store window. So many good things, so many thngs to enjoy, but the glass is too thick.

While Chris (Helms) has offered to help me out, the league is no longer ADO sanctioned (nor is it ADA sanctioned) due to the lack of committment in behalf of my captains.

No one can say I didn't do enough to get things going. I spent many days and nights doing my best for people who, in the long run, didn't appreciate it. I'm not bitter, but I am disappointed.
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...that explains alot!

I was in SA about 2 yrs ago and played at a couple of venues on the SW side, around Lackland AFB. I was visiting my oldest daughter there. Spent 9-10 days doing nothing but playing darts and...well....partaking in the breaking of the bread at the local Steers and Beers.

If I get back down that way this year, I'll let you know. I think I am on a mission to play darts against a member of sewa from every state!

As long as someone doesn't "steel" my idea!

Thanks for the info, it may open up some different avenues for you?

digger331

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dartflight wrote:
    I was in SA about 2 yrs ago and played at a couple of venues on the SW side, around Lackland AFB.

sounds like the " 'Clipper", on the main Loop and two blocks from Hwy90 - many of my steel friends play there every Thursday. Not very impressive on the outside, looks like a gray box - but it's nice and cozy on the inside with two well-placed boards (hope they've replaced them by now).

Every time I'm there - (which isn't often - it's been almost a year since I was there last), I try to talk them into getting Eclipse's, but no luck - for all I know they're still stuck using the Ravens they got from a tourney 5 years ago. However, they're a good crowd and I miss them all very much - good times...
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of trivial (no offense Paul), but shouldn't Dartoids ummmm, 'movies', for want of a better word, really be in the Darts Humor forum? Twisted Evil
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger,
    You need to come to Mass, you would have a dartgasm. No matter where you go, you will find a game on most nights. If you ever get out this way, look me up and I will take you out for a night or weekend of darts.

dartflight, I will volunteer to be the person you play in Mass if you ever get this way. I am always open to a challenge. Cool Cool Cool
    Presently not playing
    dartflight
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:

dartflight, I will volunteer to be the person you play in Mass if you ever get this way. I am always open to a challenge. Cool Cool Cool

Sounds like a challenge to me! I should be that way in August is it? Dwalsh and I are playing doubles. If I play you in Conn. and you are from Mass., does that still count as Mass.?

Either way........YOU'RE ON!

Skizrock

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, he stole your partner! All the way from Kalamazoo.......dartflight your good! Very Happy
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that doesn't say much for me, I guess my partner has out grown me. Cool Cool Cool

dartflight, your on. What tournament are you going to in Ct.?
    Presently not playing
    jester
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting a little off topic here. Wink
    dartflight
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:
    wow, that doesn't say much for me, I guess my partner has out grown me. Cool Cool Cool

dartflight, your on. What tournament are you going to in Ct.?

ooops! maybe I wasn't suppose to say anthing? I thought we were shoothing in USA Dart Classic? Maybe I was mistaken about which tournament? Heck...I'm from Kalamazoo, Michigan, What do I know? LOL!

Chitown599

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right jester, this is going off topic. I will stop it now, sorry. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
    Presently not playing
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Site Information and Questions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Page 2 of 3

Jump to: