· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Are posts too trivial?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Are posts too trivial?
    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Site Information and Questions
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are posts too trivial?
    Yes. Too much nonsense not enough content
    12%
     12%  [ 5 ]
    No. It's a forum, the mainpage is for serious articles.
    35%
     35%  [ 14 ]
    Maybe. Some users spend too much time writing nothing.
    37%
     37%  [ 15 ]
    Doesn't matter either way
    15%
     15%  [ 6 ]
    Can you say soap opera?
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 40

Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Are posts too trivial? Reply with quote

Recently I was approached about the posting content on SEWA and told that there is a consensus that posts are getting too trivial here. That the real dart conent is lacking and the silly non-dart related posts are taking over the forum.

So, what do you think? Is there too much nonsense on the site? Do we need to change the course a bit and steer it back to darts?

What can we do to keep the site entertaining, about darts and provide the kind of site that attracts the serious competitor and the player that just wants to have fun?

Erik
    IDart4Wins
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that the site is doing a great job Erik.

I believe that if we try to become too serious, and get too strict on what is posted it will cause a decrease in membership.

You have already done a wonderful job in seperateing the different catagories of threads like;

Straight Shooting- For the ultra serious members and visitors who want straight dart content and serious answers and oppinions only.

Non Dart Stuff - To discuss just about anything, without clogging up other sections and threads.

and

General Dart Talk - A place to discuss darts, be serious or crack jokes and fun with each other

I Honestly don't see how this site could possibly please any wider cross section of members or people in general.

This machine is hummimng along, picking up speed and running great, so like the old saying goes...."If It Aint Broke, Don't Fix It!" Shocked

That's my oppinion for what it's worth, anyway.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Edit,

I wanted to add just one more thought.

If the problem seems to be more of repetitive questions and posts, we members who have been here a while should realize that the newer members don't know that these topics have been discussed before, and in a lot of cases, are'nt familiar enough with the site tools to perform a thorough search. It never bother's me at all to help out new members or to answer their questions, even if I have answered the same question 100 times before, because I probably asked it for the 535th time myself when I joined Rolling Eyes l.o.l.

Last edited by IDart4Wins on Sun May 13, 2007 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Drac0
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, where does this 'consensus' come from?

Yes, there are some trivial posts, but the vast majority of them are where they should be, in the non-darts section. Most of the sections have relevant content posted, and a lot of informative and entertaining posts.

Can't see much that needs changing myself.
    Charis
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "No" Wink .

Erik, I looked up the contents of "General Dart Talk", "Tools of the Trade",
    "Tournaments and Competition" and "Practice, Strategy and Technique".

Under the 52 posts every Forum just now shows of there`s always only one, you could say is just for fun.

Well, it was two in "Tournaments", because of the Black and Purple match, but though the posts to Black and Purple are funny and not serious, the topic was started with the thought to rise some money either for Youth Darts or for Lupus.

I think, most of the posters here are addicted darters, who take darts serious and you can find a lot of helpful, completely serious discussions or tips.
    Sometimes having some fun together will neither hurt other, more serious minds nor SEWA.
    And, as we all have learned here too, being able to laugh helps to relax, which will even help our darts.
    UsualChaos
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think overall the site is good. Sometimes there seems to be to much non-dart related posts. But then other times theres too much darts talk and it gets boring. The site has many seperated topics for the serious darter as well as the weekend warriors. So I think the site has something for all darters.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    GRANITE STATE "A" DIV CHAMPS

MILL CITY DART LEAGUE
    "POLISH PUNISHERS" A DIVISION
    R.I.P. Mikey 2008
    Monty
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "maybe."

I think the site is great, the content fantastic, and the moderators doing a great job (especially keeping the inappropriate content off the site).

I think there are some threads that start out serious and someone will throw a funny comment in, which of course leads to a bunch of replies- this I also think is fine.

But I do think that there are some users who never post anything of substance- simply always a one line "good job dude" or "hope you get that problem fixed" comment.

Occasionally, this is fine, but if that's all you ever post, you really don't have much to contribute. It does take time to wade through all that, eats up space on the server, and takes server horsepower and bandwidth to have other users read it.

Edit
    So I guess what I'm saying is that everyone should be considerate. Think before you click "submit" and ask yourself, is what you're posting worth posting? An Internet forum is like a public meeting place or a seminar- if you were in those places, would you chime in with a comment or just sit by and take it all in?

The same "rules of thumb" apply here!

What burns apart from witches? ... More witches!

Last edited by Monty on Sun May 13, 2007 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dartflight
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are posts too trivial? Reply with quote

TheCommandant wrote:
    Recently I was approached about the posting content on SEWA and told that there is a consensus that posts are getting too trivial here. That the real dart conent is lacking and the silly non-dart related posts are taking over the forum.
    Erik

I couldn't disagree more. Yes, there are going to be posts that lack dart content (there are forums for those). Yes, there are silly non-dart related posts (there are forums for those). Erik, I still see the same number of people being active on the site, with an occassional interjection from maybe a newbie. I don't seriously see anything detracting from the overall motivation of the site. Which, in my opinion, was to bring worldwide darters together!

TheCommandant wrote:
    So, what do you think? Is there too much nonsense on the site? Do we need to change the course a bit and steer it back to darts?

What can we do to keep the site entertaining, about darts and provide the kind of site that attracts the serious competitor and the player that just wants to have fun?

Erik

I DO occassionally like to see Agent's "YouTubing" posts. They are mostly non-dart related. I do think some of Tae's bar monkey stories are funny! Talk about being off the mark, what about Dartoid? I enjoy reading his articles, however, what planet does he live on?

"What do you do to attract the serious competitor and the player that just wants to have fun"? Erik...it's called www.sewa-darts.com! This is where darters go to talk about darts or whatever is on their minds. You and others have done a tremendous job. If you try to corral it too much, you'll only hurt it. If you try to steer it to one or two opinions of what it should be......that can hurt even worse. It is what it is.....a dart website!

I think you'll find that the majority of posters will agree. "This is THE site for the serious and non-serious dart player....thoughout the world! Let the moderators do their jobs. They have been 99.9% correct in what they have done thus far. (Excuse the pun) Don't read too much into a couple of opinions either way. What are the majority of the people saying?....quite a bit from the amount of views and posts!

Keep up the good work.

Darts.....It's not rocket science.....OR.....is it?
    Skizrock
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with dartflight on this one. He said what I would say. Too a tee. As some one who has been here along time I find that some of the same questions get asked, sometimes in a differant way, other times verbatim. I will defer if on some of that content and let others run with it, or if I think something said in the past might be relevant, I will try to find some of the older content. But I dont always have the time to dig, so I am more apapt to let it go unless Im very motivated. I think all is good.
    OnAndGone
    Site Assistant & Admin
    Site Assistant & Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing there is a majority consensus that the site is losing its focus and/or the posting content is becoming trivial.

I have been here a while, and have seen the site grow and get better month in and month out. It is my opinion we have the best mix of new players, talent on the rise, and proven professionals along with the most dedicated and fair moderating staff on the web. That adds up to the premier darting site available.

I agree, as previously posted, that there are some people that contribute nothing of substance with most of their posts. I find it tiresome at times, but not in violation of anything. I just ignore them.

I, personally, don’t spend a lot of time in the non-darts section, other than checking out the content, as a moderator. That section does not hold a lot of interest for me. And I can see where someone may not appreciate it. But then again, they can ignore it as well.

My feeling is that this consensus may be driven by individual desires, personal experiences here at SEWA or some other motivation that I just can’t understand.

I don’t believe we can continue to be the best there is, and try to manage posts by assigning them a content value. If there are issues to be addressed say, individuals that are really detrimental to the workings and image of SEWA, then lets use the system we have. Lets utilize the system that works.

Let the complainants approach a moderator/admin and voice their case. Then, we, the moderating staff can discuss the situation, determine the best solution as it applies to SEWA, act on it, and move on. As history has shown us, this action could be an announcement on how we expect people to act when a member of SEWA, the creation/addition of new forum topics, and even action toward an individual member.

I don’t see value in making changes based on what is presented in this poll.

Just my opinion of course.
    barjo
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's some off-topic commentary here and there. There's enough strictly darts material for anyone's interest. I understand the issue about asking the same question the 1000th time, but who as the time to pore through archives? If you limit what's posted you'll end up just like one of any political forums - an inner circle talking to themselves. And that will just keep people away. I think the site is great as is. My 2 cents...
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find everything fine, like mike said, the moderating is great, anything NOt good for sewa is usually yanked within a few minutes.... staff are great, the topics, well, If it was 100% serious Every time. well, like said earlier it would get boring to a point, a bit of humor is needed in everyithing, it is kept in moderation, and when its going off topic, someone gets it back in focus....

Change...NO WAY, its a great site.. and well. to prove it look at the Sewa Tatoo post...LOL Cool
    Steven Ringer Wilcox, #1 WDF RANKED YOUTH IN NORTH AMERICA...WAY TO GO STEVEN
    dartflight
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Rocky, in keeping with the topic of discussion.......somewhat, wouldn't the speed of dark be the opposite of light? (Non-dart related),
    unless you turn off the soft tip board in mid flight....then it's time for a flight light! LMAO! (Steel tippers just use their uncanny ability to hit whatever they're throwing for......)

Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great posts!

I appreciate the honesty, candor and open willingness to discuss this topic.

I think it's a good idea from time to time to ask this question just to help keep the focus, well, in focus so to speak.

Personally, I love the site Smile --of course I do!-- but I get a TON of PM's and once in a while one leads me to take a closer look at the site and what we are doing and I just want to be certain that it doesn't take a turn in the wrong direction Smile

Cheers
    Erik
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the moderating in here Erik keeps it in line very well, makes it enjoyable for everyone, Keep up the great work!
    Monty
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thought to add... this is a game we are discussing here! While there is a serious side to everything, in general, it should be fun

What burns apart from witches? ... More witches!
    Charis

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is really "trivial"?

Wouldn´t it be very difficult find that out? Or who wants to decide it?

Most of us probably have posted stupid or meaningless comments from time to time.
    But if you talk to somebody the answers you´ll get are not always valuable or profound as well. Will you never talk to a person again only because you once got a stupid answer Wink ?
    Jo
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an English perspective, I think this site has the balance just right.

It’s well moderated, the members are respectful and enthusiastic, and there’s enough topics to suit all. Serious, and not so.

There’s a constant flow of posting, which if you took out all the sillier things would mean that the forum could stagnate sometimes.

When there is a serious topic, it seems to be kept to that subject for the majority of the discussion. It may get to a stage where all the debating has been done, and then there is room for a humorous post. But, generally, you don’t see anyone jumping straight in with the humour. The topic is covered thoroughly first.

Honestly, compared with English forums, this one is such a pleasure to be involved with. The separate forums for the Non-Dart, and more serious subjects, I think works well. Even if a serious thread gets a humorous post added to it, it doesn’t take over the thread. It’s usually open to continue with the original topic, if there is more to add. Sometimes the silly posts bring the thread back to life, when it's flagging a bit, and you get a second wind of serious posts.

I don’t think that people who want serious discussion should take issue with people that like to lighten things with humour. Conversely, I don’t think that the more light-hearted should take issue with people who want to talk seriously. There’s room for both.

And that’s what makes this site great. Smile
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Anne, you bring up a good point. What do the sponsors want?

Sales and exposure from a source that does not embarrass them.

That ought to sum it up.

I've had at least one sponsor report a 300% increase in sales after he began to advertise on SEWA Shocked So I believe the site does rather well in terms of providing them a platform to present their products and build clientel.

After all, how many of you had heard of Dart-Stop or Circumluminator before coming here?

Typically, the forums don't matter to the sponsor though, becuase they are just that: forums. What matters is the flow of people on and off the site and how the advertising is presented to them. Furthermore, what matters is that those conducting reviews are honest and straightforward in such a way that those reading them believe them.

I think all of you know that I use the products I say I like -- so there is no question you believe me when I review something and say I like it -- you know I do.

That's what sponsors want Smile

Jay on the other hand may feel threatened. After all, he is in the business of selling a magazine and in some ways SEWA can be seen as competition. After all, there are articles here and the site is always fresh. There are also pictures and links. And while I doubt SEWA will ever compete with Bulls-Eye or Dartworld Magazines, I don't think we're the sort of site they really want to see become too successful. And SEWA is doing just that.

Now add the MMDL connection into the mix and I think you see why Jay might not feel to comfy with SEWA.

But that's ok Smile Unicorn, NODOR, Dart-Stop and others rather like the site Very Happy

And as long as the majority of the users here like the site then I see no reason to change anything. I just wanted to re-evaluate things a bit to see where we are, and where we are going.

Cheers
    Erik
    Rags
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion this forum has a true sense of community. Dart players from around the world gather to talk about darts here regularly, and I feel like the growth in membership and participation speaks volumes. With that sense of community comes personalities, and for the most part even when two members disagree on a subject, they simply agree to disagree.

It is the expression - and freedom of expression - within those personalities that gives us that sense of community. And with that comes mutual respect, pay it forward stories, humorous occasions and bonds formed between players that often have never even met.

Much like attending a dart event, personalities arrive and share their thoughts, mingle, and make the occasional comment be it on the straight and serious side or something whimsical that flows with the topic and adds a giggle or fun side to a thread.

With the forums broken into sections specifically I think theres plenty of room, and the site gives users tools to both read and post in the forums as they see fit, or in a way that suits their interests.

Just my humble opinion. Of course I am guilty of tagging threads with silly pics so in reality I am likely part of the problem Embarassed
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid people who are too serious - life's too short to let them drag you down all the time. I would probably stop coming here everyday if it became ONLY serious dart-related posts only.

Keep posting those pics Rags! They're one of the best things going here. Wink

Last edited by CraigB on Mon May 14, 2007 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it's hard to fix something that's not broken. I see nothing wrong with the status quo. This is by far the best forum around, and it's that way for a reason. Not only does Erik give us the equipment to reach out to everyone but all involved have made this site the best. That goes for the very top moderator to the regular Joe or Sally that signs up. We all contribute in our own way and if I'm not mistaken, there are no trivial posts. To say that is like saying there are dumb questions, we all know that's not true.

Sure there might be some posts that aren't very exciting to read but that does not make it trivial. I say leave well enough alone and lets get back to darts talk or whatever you want to discuss, just keep it in the right thread. Again, there will probably be posts put in the wrong thread from time to time, but you know what, that's ok. It's all a learning curve. And who best to learn from but team SEWA. Cool Cool Cool
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    dartflight
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is funny about the responses to this issue are the profound "Don't change a thing" attitude from everyone. That speaks volumes!

Erik, moderators and members...keep up the excellent work and chat. I know of NO OTHER community that gets the opportunity to "chat" like this, and then get to share in their passion with each other, ALL OVER THE WORLD! Whether it is in leagues, tournaments or practice, darters are by and far the closest knit group of people I have come across. Where else can you travel across the country, world and have more than one individual or family offer to put you up for the nite/weekend, after the first time you meet?

Darters....."Where every game begins and ends with a handshake"! When I left the BASS trail 7 yrs ago and picked up darts, I thought I might have made a mistake. Whether I win or not, with darters, I ALWAYS WIN.

Thanks to everyone for being a part of the largest family in the WORLD!

digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I'll be odd man out and speak my thoughts.

I think the site is really great, lots of great people...

but...

the reason I've stopped coming as often is exactly what Erik was referring to in his first post. I think too many members use the forum as a gabfest and we've strayed away from the original idea.

The extra forums that were added helped bring in extra members and have added greatly to the overall community, but at the same time it took away from the central concepts of a darts forum.

As I said, I think the forum is a great place, but as also mentioned by others, we are no longer bringing in credible sponsors or darts personalities as we used to in the past.

As for the modding, there was also a tendency to over-moderate topics, but sometimes necessarily so to keep members in line. I think regular members too often perceived it as the mods going on a power trip, and they could've been right.

Overall, we still have a great site here, we just need to re-focus, or actually just get back on track to talking more about darts and what's going on in the darting communities around the world.
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Anne

Quote:
    Jay on the other hand may feel threatened. After all, he is in the business of selling a magazine and in some ways SEWA can be seen as competition. After all, there are articles here and the site is always fresh. There are also pictures and links.

I just wanted to address this issue, as I am involved in the publishing business and understand BEN's rationale.

Unfortunately, print publications are at the mercy of their sponsors and advertisers. They don't want anything that'll rock the boat, especially if it means controversy, especially if it's true.

I didn't re-new my BEN & DartWorld subscriptions for just this reason. They're filled with quality content, but they're (IMO) ethically compromised. By this I mean that while they're great people and put out great magazine's and websites, they're not going to do anything to hurt their bottom line and when something like that happens, the first casualty is the truth. I can't, won't, will not accept it nor condone it.

No, I'm not being high and mighty, but I'm only adhering to my jpournalistic ethics. If you can't print the truth - for whatever reason - what good does it do?

and yeah, I'm taking this seriously. It might be just a game, but it's more to me than that. It's about holding yourself to higher standards, it's about expecting others to do the same.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Site Information and Questions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Page 1 of 3

Jump to: