· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - An appeal to lady dart players.
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

An appeal to lady dart players.
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: An appeal to lady dart players. Reply with quote

Dear Ladies,

So here we are heading towards the ADO Region 1-2 Playoffs and some of you may be asking why you should bother playing, or perhaps what the ADO is in the first place, right?

That’s OK, I once also asked those questions!

For some darts is a fun night out at the pub -- perhaps most even -- and a chance to cut loose a little and have fun, and that's great. For some however, they've discovered something more, a competitive spirit deep down inside, or the desire to see who far they can push themselves or a myriad of any other reasons besides. Either way, for those who have some competitive spirit and are interested in seeing just how far they can go, the ADO Regional Playoffs are the ticket!

The ADO, American Darts Organization, is the National body that sanctions tournaments (making them official) and holds playoffs, which culminate in crowning someone the National Champion. Like any other sport Darts has certain levels of achievement and the most prestigious in the USA are gained by earning points playing in ADO Sanctioned tournaments and Regional Playoffs and by playing in the National Playoffs.

Some of the National events also lead to International competition like the WINMAU World Masters for example, or the US Team that has gone to Australia to play darts even! The point is, however, that if no one competes then of course no one goes; there is no team and no recognition (or finding out just how far you can push yourself).

Here locally we have the ADO Association Playoffs that we call 'Qualifiers'. These are matches that determine who will earn the $110 required to play in the ADO Regional Playoffs. The winner of which earns a trip to the National Playoffs paid for by the ADO.

Last year Iona Parker won the ADO Regional 1-2 Ladies Cricket Playoffs for the second year running and was flown to Las Vegas to play in the Nationals!

This year there won't be anyone flying to Vegas for free if we don't have ladies trying out to see if they have the stuff!

It has been my goal to ensure that at least once a year the Ladies have a chance to play off for this honor and reward and so far I've managed to succeed, but Ladies this year I need your help more then ever!

There are 4 Regional Playoffs every year, but no other area has held a ladies regional in a long time, so it's up to us here in the Tri-Cities to make this happen every year. In fact, we could even begin to hold them every quarter with enough interest.

I ask each of you to consider playing in at least one qualifier (which gets you into a 2nd for free) to support competitive ladies darts.

Erik K. McVay
    President, SEWADL

Next Qualifiers for Region 1-2 (OR, WA & N. ID):
    $27.50ea
    Today at Noon at the Parkade.
    Next Sunday at Noon at the Parkade (I need someone to volunteer to run this one)
    More to be announced.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...no responses to my email or this post Sad I really hoped I could get some ladies interested in keeping ladies darts going...or getting it going anyway.

Erik
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLEEPYKRAMER wrote:
    Well I would have, but I am a little far away Sad Sad Sad

What do you do in your area to make this happen?

Erik
    ChristinaO
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know......... Embarassed

I've talked to several of the women from Portland, none are even remotely interested.......very frustrating. I haven't had any luck getting any of our women to even play in a qualifer, I'm sure I'm not getting any of them to travel....

Mad

Working on a sponsor for me....
    ChristinaO
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    We have only sent someone to a national playoff once in the last 5 years that I have been playing here.....and that was me. The women here are the same...over and over again....no one has done anything to generate fresh blood into the mix and these old girls are tired. The league ADO reps hardly do anything to generate any participation. And we currently have at least 7 leagues in the SoCal region.

I'm fairly new to our league, this is the third year I've been an member, and the first year I'm on the Board. Your issues sound like the same thing I'm seeing here......to be honest I'm not sure how to go about changing the situation.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLEEPYKRAMER wrote:
    And I just realized.......I really do TALK too much !!

Sorry for the long post !!

No ya don't! Keep at it!

I've been pretty busy of late and not had much time to get to doing much, but Christina is a fatastic promoter and with her, kyjosa, loveit, LM and others working to try to get more ladies involved, I think we can do it.

Cheers
    Erik
    BigRig
    Private

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Ladies Playoffs Reply with quote

The first obstacle we seem to have to overcome here, Region6-2, is the $110 dollar thing. For the last couple of years our ADO Rep, has been running singles tourneys on Monday nights. Cost is $10, 5 of which goes back to the player, the other 5 goes to the payoff at end of tourney. The money is then kept track of, and can be used for any ADO, event playoff or any tourney, reason being, to keep some coming that would not normally go to playoff. This has worked fairly well, it seems to generate enough for one playoff a year, its not a huge payout for the winner, but, practice is the main point of it all. But, yes its a constant battle, and somedays the light at the end of the tunnel, is a train. Thanks Big Rig
    Avalon
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance here...... but in europe, you pay for yourself to go to a tournament, you can get ranking points and qualify for the lakeside finals or the playoffs, or you win a WDF tournament and go to the winmau masters,....... and you pay for yourself to go ( unless you find a sponsor ) to these too.

Countries hold their own national championships where ANYONE can enter, you just pay the entrance fee, normally between 15 to 20 euros, and from that you can win a place at the above or get selected for your country for the worldcup or something similar........

why is yours so complicated with all this $110 for each player, why dont you just hold once a year a USA national championship where anyone from the USA can enter for a $20 entrance fee.

Another thing I find somewhat bewildering....... a player can qualify for the nationals through playing cricket, this can lead them to qualifying to represent USA, or place at the winmau etc........ where they will not play cricket, but 501. Thats much the same as holding qualifiers for runners where they run a marathon so they can represent america in the sprint, very strange system you have.

I think you could also make more of the ADO ranking system. I see there are over 800 women in the ranking....... besides keeping a ranking list with points why dont you keep one with averages and use that one for selection either for the nationals or for national team selection. That way it doesnt matter which high class ladies you have in one particular area, or how many, the best overall players would be heading the averages list. England operate this type of system with their county averages, the english team is selected mainly by the individual players averages.

okay my thoughts are over for now...... Very Happy
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avalon wrote:

why is yours so complicated with all this $110 for each player, why dont you just hold once a year a USA national championship where anyone from the USA can enter for a $20 entrance fee.

I suspect becuase it's over 3000 miles from coast to coast....consider this: If I were to drive from Seattle to Florida and then travel the same distance in Europe I'd have to practically drive across Europe and back again.

The thing is, this country is so big that many contestants have to fly to the nationals and very few can drive (trains are out). It's costly so even less would enter if they had to pay their own way. And sponsorship is out of the question in most cases.

You live in darting heaven, we live in the desert in comparrison.

Erik
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avalon wrote:

Another thing I find somewhat bewildering....... a player can qualify for the nationals through playing cricket, this can lead them to qualifying to represent USA, or place at the winmau etc........ where they will not play cricket, but 501. Thats much the same as holding qualifiers for runners where they run a marathon so they can represent america in the sprint, very strange system you have.

Not so at all.

They play Cricket to compete in the Cricket Nationals which ends there.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avalon wrote:

I think you could also make more of the ADO ranking system. I see there are over 800 women in the ranking....... besides keeping a ranking list with points why dont you keep one with averages and use that one for selection either for the nationals or for national team selection. That way it doesnt matter which high class ladies you have in one particular area, or how many, the best overall players would be heading the averages list. England operate this type of system with their county averages, the english team is selected mainly by the individual players averages.

The problem is that here in the USA it's tough enough to find someone to chalk/score your match in a tournament. Much less keep track of your darts to calc an ave. Those that do know do it automatically and then it's not a very good result.

For example in the Mid-Columbia Open I lost my last match without ever throwing more then 18 darts and always at a one dart out. My oponent took them out in 15-17 each leg. So it's easy to figure out what the ave was. The finalists averaged 18 darts a leg (some less none more) so again easy to figure...but no one tracks that here.

You see, we have a hard enough time convincing people that it's ok to be serious and competitive much less try to keep track of averages.

It's just one more hurdle we have to cross.
    Erik
    Avalon
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    I suspect becuase it's over 3000 miles from coast to coast....consider this: If I were to drive from Seattle to Florida and then travel the same distance in Europe I'd have to practically drive across Europe and back again.

you are right......... BUT....always a but from me....... I have checked flight costs before posting this and the flights per mile in the USA are unbelievably cheaper than in europe, with more direct flights between cities than in europe.

Prime example. my wife travelled to Finland yesterday for a tournament, 12 hours travelling at a cost of over $500...... LA to new york a much greater distance, but much shorter travelling time and much cheaper. Same goes from Dallas to LA or NY.... if we could have your travelling times, your expenses, with our distances in europe then we would have it perfect. She could have travelled more direct....... hour drive, 2 flights, taxi....... half the time......... but twice the cost
    Avalon
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    The problem is that here in the USA it's tough enough to find someone to chalk/score your match in a tournament. Much less keep track of your darts to calc an ave. Those that do know do it automatically and then it's not a very good result.

in england they use pre printed sheets to score on which hang up over a normal chalkboard, after each game the sheets are handed into the officials, who, at their will when they have time, do all the necessary calculations.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avalon wrote:
    Quote:

you are right......... BUT....always a but from me....... I have checked flight costs before posting this and the flights per mile in the USA are unbelievably cheaper than in europe, with more direct flights between cities than in europe.

Prime example. my wife travelled to Finland yesterday for a tournament, 12 hours travelling at a cost of over $500...... LA to new york a much greater distance, but much shorter travelling time and much cheaper. Same goes from Dallas to LA or NY.... if we could have your travelling times, your expenses, with our distances in europe then we would have it perfect. She could have travelled more direct....... hour drive, 2 flights, taxi....... half the time......... but twice the cost

ahhh and theirin lies the key -- money.

Here in the USA I flew to California from Eastern Washington (a mere 1000 miles or so) and spent $700 to fly to, pay for hotels at, eat at, and compete at the Camellia Classic. I made Top 8 in the Men's doubles 501 with my partner and we made $25 each.

I also made Top 32 in the mens singles cricket and made nothing for that.

$700 to go.
    Make a Top 8 finish -- that's quarter finals folks and get $25
    Bankrupsty afterwards -- priceless.

No seriously, here in the US it's VERY tough to make enough to pay for your darts. Ask Steve Brown.

Erik
    scottyb1001
    General Scotty
    General Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet we keep doing it... Smile
    Avalon
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt realise your prize money was so bad..........

I mainly just check the ladies events for my wife, and for her from this weekend until the end of april she can win around 9,000 euros at a cost of around 1000, already this weekend still with the singles final to be played, and with the couples tomorrow she has already won close to 500 euros, if she wins her singles final.. probably being played as I type. then that will go up by another 340 euros......... she is already in the plus thanks to one of her sponsors who paid a lot towards the trip to finland.

Forget anything you may have read about us emigrating to america. it isnt going to happen until your prize money goes up.... Laughing
    Avalon
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she won the singles final 4 - 1....... so up goes the winnings by 340. Last tournament today, ladies couples where she plays with Finlands number 1, so a good chance to win that too......... as long as they can play well together
    kdu755
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: ADO Reply with quote

I am so glad I have found your site. I joined ADO when I first started playing darts a few years ago, before I knew much about it, as a learning tool for me and it has been the best. I got kicked bad, I mean bad, 9-0, 9-0 many times the first round, but it was the experience that I needed. I am fortunate to live in Texas and in this area, Dallas/Ft Worth, we have many women who want to play and by the ranking, we have some of the top players, who reguardless of their standing are always trying to encourage others with their games. I personally think that the friendly attitudes these women have is what makes others want to play whether we win or lose. So my thoughts are if somone is new to the game, be nice and support them, even if they can't hit what they are aiming at, because that's how you get new people into the game, if they feel comfortable and enjoy playing with you. I know without some encouragement, even though I couln't hit the broadside of the barn, much less the board with all three darts when I started, that I wouln't have wanted to play this game.

Karen
    TrainerR77
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen!!
    Welcome to SEWA!! Dont worry about whatever questions you have....as you have already experienced with the national dart issue you had, we all are here to help and support any darter at any level!!!

Did I happen to see that you will be in Vegas in a week or so?? A fairly large group is going to be there so hopefully we can meet up there!! THere is a thread about it in the Tournament section if you want to put your two cents in!!

Have fun in your darting adventure!!!

Shoot well!

RIP Mikey....I will truly miss you.

Wink Rhonda
    kdu755
    Private

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Las Vegas Reply with quote

Yes!!! I will be there. I look forward to meeting you. I am not sure ho9w many we have going but, I think it may be 15 or so. I really don't know. I have a bad back, so if you see an old lady picking up her darts with a tool....that's me.... I have a magnet on the end and I always use it......LOL.....I will look for you.....Have a safe trip there.

Karen
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: