· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Tournament Attire
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Tournament Attire
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you usually wear to a tournament?
    Sleeved/Collard shirt, Dress Slacks, Dress Shoes
    37%
     37%  [ 16 ]
    Sleeved/Collard shirt, Cargo or Casual Pants, Dress Shoes
    18%
     18%  [ 8 ]
    Sleeved/Collard shirt, Denim Jeans, Sneakers
    25%
     25%  [ 11 ]
    T-Shirt, Cargo or Casual Pants, Sneakers
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    T-Shirt, Denim Jeans, Sneakers
    16%
     16%  [ 7 ]
    T-Shirt, Cut-Offs or Shorts, Sandals
    2%
     2%  [ 1 ]
    Tank Top, Cut-Offs or Shorts, Sandals
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 43

MzzThang
    SEWA Sponsor
    SEWA Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Tournament Attire Reply with quote

$1,000.00 tournament or $25,000.00 tournament...

Do you get dressed up? Do you dress casual? Does the purse size or location of the tournament matter to you as to what you wear?

Let's hear your thoughts on tournament attire...
    Shoot_Well
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a dress code to play our Provincials right from the zone shoots up so I'm used to wearing them and find it the most comfortable no matter what tourney I attend.
    ochekid
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a collared shirt, black dress pants and black dress shoes.

John Denich
    5uperman
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ranked shoot in Canada (singles is the only ranked event) you are not allowed on stage (finals and sometimes semi's) unless you are wearing a collared shirt dress pants and dress shoes.

For singles I dress for singles (no matter the purse) and the rest I wear jeans and a t shirt.
    mjcdrum
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like to dress up a bit. A collared shirt, nice slacks and shoes. It doesn't bother me what other people are wearing. It all fits the comfort level of the other player. I just think it gives me a sense of greater confidence.
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
    Drac0
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even own a pair of dress shoes. Very Happy
    UNICORN180
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unicorn button front shirt, slacks, dress shoes...EVERY tourney, league also.
    hoopie
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter the size of the tournament I normally wear Docker style pants and a collared shirt. Most of the time I have on walking shoes but they are always pure black. If it is hot out, given that I am a hot blooded person I will wear shorts and then I will wear all white tennis shoes. But that is mainly because when everyone else is freezing I am still hot

Alan
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think everyone in darts should go out and buy professional looking dart shirts, not T-shirts, and wear them on their league nights. These should also be worn to all tournaments. Names / nick names should be printed on the front and any nick name on the back. Slacks or jeans and shoes in good repair. (no sandals).

Nothing would help the immage of our sport more. The bowlers among us caught onto this years ago.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    string
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I have worn polo collared shirt, nice jeans and either sandals or black walking shoes. I have since purchased a couple of dart shirts, one of which has our league logo embroidered on the back and my name on the front. I haven't been able to wear dress shoes for some time due to foot problems. I have literally thousands of dollars in dress shoes and cowboy boots and cannot wear them any longer, so now I mostly wear a dress sandal that looks pretty good and protects my feet from stray darts as well.
    dwalsh
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound crazy but since I started wearing collared dart shirts and slacks to the larger tournaments I go to ,I actually play better.I think it is a mindset.You go there,your dressed right,you feel prepared.I do feel more confident.The smaller ,local tournaments in the summer,its a dart shirt and shorts.That is a more casual atmosphere.I enjoy the more professional look ,and the more professional attitude that it seems to bring out in me. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    2013 MMDL CRICKET GOLD CHAMPION
    2013 WORLD MASTERS PARTICIPANT HULL ENGLAND
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll cop to the T-shirt/jeans/sneakers.

T-shirt..I own several collared shirts with different themes (Hawaiian, dragons, a phoenix) but don't feel comfortable throwing in them. Maybe it's a force of habit thing from all the time I throw at home..in the summer I don't even have a shirt on at home throwing.

Jeans..not sure off my head if my dress pants even fit anymore, I can wear jeans to work every day.

Sneakers..I tend to roll my ankle unless I'm wearing high tops..need the support due to the fact that my right knee is absolute rubbish. Even low top sneakers don't work.

Also, every tournament I go to I'm selling darts and supplies, and most of the time helping set up as well.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    aboji
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tae - a professional image is good for our sport. I remember the WSOD Qualifiers and some of the issues regarding t-shirts, sneakers and the like. I honestly believe, though, that the collared shirt (a polo looks as great as a"darts" shirt i.e. Priestley looks great in his polo, Taylor looks great in his Unicorn shirt) and slacks and shoes move a long way in changing teh image of us to the public, which may go a short way in increased interest, increased exposure, more TV, more sponsorship. Perhaps a dream, but this is something I feel strongly about.

I, myself, will go black dress pants, black Rockports shoes - they are the most comfortable for the hours of standing - and a polo or darts shirt.

.....now, those hours at the practice board in teh basement - THAT'S another story. You don't want to see my attire then!

aboji
    Trip_Floor
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more that "dressing" for tourneys is the easiest way to improve the image of darts. Look at the professionals - do you think you'd ever catch John Part on stage in jeans? (the DART stage, I can't speak for the Spearmint Rhino in Vegas) Very Happy Very Happy

In Chicago, we have a rule for stage matches - no tank tops, no jeans, no open-toed shoes. Granted, we haven't always been the strictest at enforcing it, but have for the past 2 years and it works!

Funny thing is, it DOES help some people play better. Someone actually said to me at the last tournament that they know they have to dress if they make the stage, so they dress for the entire event EXPECTING to make the stage. Now, I didn't ask them if they expected to lose if they weren't dressed, but it does seem like a different mindset.

Good question, MzzThang.

-Peter
    Barry_French
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taechon wrote:
    Personally, I think everyone in darts should go out and buy professional looking dart shirts, not T-shirts, and wear them on their league nights. These should also be worn to all tournaments. Names / nick names should be printed on the front and any nick name on the back. Slacks or jeans and shoes in good repair. (no sandals).

Nothing would help the immage of our sport more. The bowlers among us caught onto this years ago.

Someone on the same wavelength. I wear a Unicorn shirt, slacks and shoes regardless if it is a crappy 3rd division league or an open. Only difference is that I wear shirts with names on the back to Superleague or the Opens.

Polo shirts can look a little iffy - some of the guys from the world masters looked like pub players in them (Mark Webster and Brian Woods are perfect examples)

People may say 'who do you think you are, Phil Taylor'. I wear Unicorn shirts to promote good appearance in darts, and to promote my favourite dart company (dont care that its free, the shirts are nice hehe)

Very Happy
    manofdarts
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Word Reply with quote

I can't believe what some people wear to tournaments. Shocked

Last edited by manofdarts on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:02 am; edited 2 times in total
    manofdarts
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Attire Reply with quote

I alwalys wear a collared shirt. I try wear the same when I practice.
    Slacks and dress shoes. Almost always. If I wear jeans they are fairly new with no holes.

George Silberzahn said it best in his book How To Master The Sport Of Darts

"Darts is a gentleperson's sport like no other sport is. Conduct yourself in such a way as to be a benefit to the sport and those connected with it."

"Decorum should be your hallmark, in dress and conduct. As you move up the ladder of proficiency you become more visible and representative of darts. Live up to the responsibility. Be a 'good thing' for darts. And watch your language, as well as your conduct."[/u]
    aboji
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny that Trip would mention John Part (one of my favorite pro players). When I attended the WSOD, I caught John upstairs coming out of the practice room on Saturday morning. I asked him if he would mind if I had a photograph taken with him - he said he didn't mind at all (he is very approachable) but apologized for his "looking like a slob" as he put it. "Slob" to him meant he did not have his Unicorn shirt on or darts attire. He was dressed in a polo and slacks - not jeans!! - perfectly respectable to anyone.....but not to him.

These guys take the image of our sport very seriously and promote it at every turn.

The picture of me and "the slob" hangs in my darts den today.

aboji
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday night blind draws of $5-$7ea entrant and 20 entrants it's Jeans and Collard shirt (usually polo) for me usually. Though sometimes I'll slum it and wear a dart t-shirt.

Big Tournaments I usually wear one of my dart shirts (bowling style) and slacks.

In all honesty I prefer to wear slacks and bowling style shirts but if folks don't dress that way at all then I usually wear the jeans and polo 'casual' attire.

Erik
    filthypaddle
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this shouldn't matter, but for soft tip events, I wear shorts, and my team shirt with the arms cut off, and tennis shoes. For Steel tip events, including league, I try to wear some time of button down shirt, jeans and tennis shoes. I guess it all depends on what the event is. If I can get away with shorts, then I will wear them, becasue I am one of those people that is hot all the time, especially when under stress. (But the stress part is a different thread)
    Barry_French
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Word Reply with quote

manofdarts wrote:
    I can't believe what some people wear to tounaments. Shocked

Neither can I manofdarts.

This sounds a tad up my own backside, but I feel more confident playing someone who wears a darts shirt than someone who doesnt. The people at tournaments who dont wear proper tournament shirts aren't serious about their game, or they are but don't expect to reach the final.

Should they have a good run, they'll be screwed as they won't be allowed on stage without their proper attire.

I always dress like the average pro would, because i feel smarter that way, and it gives a proper indiciation of how serious I am about the game, and that I'm prepared to get far in tournaments. I dont necessarily progress too far, but Im prepared should I have a great run.
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably leaving myself open for a lot of remarks by posting in this thread so I'll just say I do not like to dress up no matter what I am doing or where I am going. I will just leave it at that. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Alright people, the floor is yours. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    filthypaddle
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    The people at tournaments who dont wear proper tournament shirts aren't serious about their game, or they are but don't expect to reach the final.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this one Barry. I understand that there are rules as to attire however, just becasue at some tourneys I can wear shorts and tennis shoes, doesn't mean I don't take my darts seriously. In fact that couldn't be further from the truth. The bottom line, is that
    Quote:
    I do not like to dress up no matter what I am doing or where I am going.
    and like Chitown has said, I feel the same way.

Barry, I am not trying to beat you up on this issue, but I feel it was necessary to post my opinion that the clothes don' t make the player.
    Barry_French
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

filthypaddle wrote:
    Quote:
    The people at tournaments who dont wear proper tournament shirts aren't serious about their game, or they are but don't expect to reach the final.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this one Barry. I understand that there are rules as to attire however, just becasue at some tourneys I can wear shorts and tennis shoes, doesn't mean I don't take my darts seriously. In fact that couldn't be further from the truth. The bottom line, is that
    Quote:
    I do not like to dress up no matter what I am doing or where I am going.
    and like Chitown has said, I feel the same way.

Barry, I am not trying to beat you up on this issue, but I feel it was necessary to post my opinion that the clothes don' t make the player.

Filthypaddle,

I think the way British tournaments are run can be different to the American ones. All of the British opens Ive been to ask for slacks/shoes and a shirt if you are to play on the stage. The only exception was Cambridge, because the England vs Portugal world cup game was on. In fact, Wolverhamptons open may not have had those rules attached either, but a lot of them generally tend to.

But where the stage rules are applied there are still people who don't dress in what is required to play on the stage. My staement you quoted is intended in this scenario, where the rules are stated but not followed.

Where the black trousers/shoes rules aren't enforced then that is the players choice. I won't criticise there, though i do prefer to play in smart clothers rather than shorts like some like to.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comment, wasn't my intention Smile
    manofdarts
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:
    I am probably leaving myself open for a lot of remarks by posting in this thread so I'll just say I do not like to dress up no matter what I am doing or where I am going. I will just leave it at that. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

At the last Camelia Classic one of the better players in our region asked me why I was wearing slacks and a collared shirt. I told him that it made me feel more comfortable and I felt that proper dress was important at tournaments. He said that he felt comfortable in what he was wearing, holy jeans and a t-shirt. I told him that when other people look to our sport, they look at the players. When they see how the players are dressed they see how legitimate we are. The next day he was wearing slacks an a nice shirt. Surprised

You couldn't go to the ADO nationals or be on a televised event wearing shorts.

Again, I refer to my previous post in this thread in which I quote George Silberzahn.

He said it best.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: