· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Shafted!
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Shafted!
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tools of the Trade
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

My favorite shafts are:
    Aluminum
    15%
     15%  [ 11 ]
    Nylon
    69%
     69%  [ 49 ]
    Spinners
    8%
     8%  [ 6 ]
    Plastic (Slick Sticks)
    1%
     1%  [ 1 ]
    Other
    5%
     5%  [ 4 ]
    Total Votes : 71

Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Shafted! Reply with quote

I would like to invite you to take a moment and discuss your favorite shaft. Exactly why do you like it?

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Nylon.

In my experience, nothing works better. I like the balance they give my darts. I like the ease of repairing broken shafts stuck in the darts or just with broken tines by simply removing and replacing. I find it nearly impossible to robinhood. (The tines seem to flex and just let the dart pass through). I spend much less time messing with my nylon shafts than I ever did with aluminum shafts. I also think that the nylon shafts stay in place better than other shafts. Aluminum shafts unscrew during matches and need to be treated with 'O-rings' or some special bonding agent to keep them in place. For me, nylon is simple, easy, and the only way to go.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    medi-ocher
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

top spin extra shorts. I like them only because they are the shortest spinner shafts I have been able to locate.
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was forced to use nylon when I bought my Python EL-C darts bout 2 years ago after 4 years of aluminum.

I'd never go back..no more bending shafts for me.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    WhiteKnight
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use aluminum medium length shafts.I carry a couple small tools in a small pouch on my belt.I use a small pair of pliers to hold the dart while I
    tighten the aluminum shafts.They never come loose,and I can use them all day in a tournament.I refuse to use plastic or nylon as most times in the past they have broken off clean at the barrel,making for a frustrating time to remove the remainder stuck in the barrel.
    Aluminum all the way, and i've never looked back.
    Bent aluminum shafts are a minor thing,and a little pressure on the shaft
    corrects it quickly.I'll take a small bend anyday!
    If required,i can change a shaft on the fly within the time it takes for the other darter to shoot and mark his score.
    I always have a couple spare flights in my pocket and shafts,just in case.
    But rarely do i have to change anything during a match.
    AmericanBadAss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had an aluminum and tried to bend it back a little..snapped the thing right off. THANK GOD there was a little nub enough left to grab with a needle nose plier.

WhiteKnight, that scenario has happened to me several times with nylon shafts. Check this out..

http://www.a-zdarts.com/acc/tools.asp

Problem solved. Not sure if Black Bull also sells them but they're cheap insurance and go right on your keyring. Just last weekend I pulled it out in front of someone and they were surprised they'd never seen one before.

I recommend buying a few..people WILL want one when they see it.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    CB671
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Used to like Aluminum and my Favs was the Anodized single color *Black Medium Length which gave a pretty good feel and balance to the dart...but after Bending so Many and Snapping off the areas that Hold the flights I decided to go with Nylon. It Feels really good on the dart and the Balance is Good as well and after several robinhoods with 30gr darts It is still Kicking with no problems...My favorite 3 dart sets has been equipped with the Nylon Shafts...my other dart set will still have the aluminum shafts which will be used as a Loaner dart when Friends and Family come over to play. Now my Nylon Shafts are outliving my Flights lol
    Doug
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a nylon shaft break at the barrel. When I was using plastic shafts, it would happen all the time. I've been using nylon now for about 4 years.
    dartiator63
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have used just about all of the shafts avaliable over tha last 18 years. My final choice is the Nylon, They are inexpensive, they are resilant and they come in assorted colors and lengths, Sometimes a differance of 1/4 inch from differant manufactors. The broken off shaft in the barrel is its only draw back, and that is quickley fixed with the extractor tool mentioned By ABA. I use a white med nylon with a keeper spring and red,white, and blue pearshaped flights.

I actually throw them in that order so I can see if I am misthrowing a particular dart. EX: If the Blue/3rd dart is consistantly high, I know I am floating or aimming to much on that dart. When I keep the faith and rhythem right it joins the other 2 darts in thier little group.

I Also know which dart should be punished Laughing
    :"What we have here is a failure to communicate... Time in the box!"

Chris
    mretome
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I use extra-short aluminum. No real shaft to bend. I do occaisionally robin-hood which will require bending a tine back in or replacing the shaft. Should this happen during a match, I simply grab another dart with which to finish. (I carry six exactly the same set up.)
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid white or black nylon. I started out with aluminum. I just feel they require too much maintainance for me.

Reasons I like Nylon.
    Nylons allow my flights to pop off.
    Seem to last a long time. (Average set lasts me about 3 months)
    Almost never robin hood.
    Easily replacable.

I've never had a nylon set break. Plastic I know break very easily. I like to only think about my darts when throwing. Nylons have allowed me to do that.
    digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gripper nylon shafts with rings. I like the fact it has a tightening hole like aluminum shafts.

However, unlike others, I do get a fair share of robin-hoods which result in a bounce out more often that they do a deflection (wonder if I'm doing something wrong?). Maybe it's because I use nylon/fabric flights as well, I dunno.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digger I used grippers for a little bit. I noticed straight way that my robin hood rate increased substantially. Could be because of the blunt end. Also fabrics do open the end a little more then slim polys.
    ducks
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used lots of different shafts and found that short nylon shafts work the best for my steel tip darts.
    The balance and weight seem ok. If I want my flights to pop off if I shoot tight groups, I don't use stem rings. If I want my flights more firmly gripped, I use stem rings. Nylon are virtually maintenace free. I guess I'm just lazy. They are cheap, but price shouldn't be an issue for a dart player. It is not that hard to buy a lot of shafts of the exact model you like for a very reasonable price. The key is to buy in volume.

Shafts I don't like.
    *Polycarbonate bubble shaft. They break if you sneeze on them.
    *Quiz Titan are heavy and have an Ok feel to me, but the wires seem to get off center way too easily. They hold your flights reasonably tightly. They really make my darts tail heavy.
    *Aluminum. When new, they really hold on to your flights. Minis, and medium freak me out. Minis don't get bent out of shape because they are so short. But robin hoods will blow them up. The xshort and short are OK, but it really is a pain to replace them after every robin hood and bounce out. They bend too easily.
    *Sliks just feel too weird. And I could never get the flights fitted in right.
    *Alamo are OK, and are good if you like your flights to be gripped tightly. But the aluminum ends get destroyed way too easily.
    *Rev Grip (plastic rotating top.) You would think that they give you the same performance as Nylon, but they just don't feel right.
    *Quiver, tri-steel, titanium, and jet stems are too light and the shafts are way too thin. My forefinger needs to rest on the front part of the shaft.
    Quiver shafts vibrate after your dart impacts on the board. Boingg! Too weird.
    *All those fancy shmancy spinning shafts. Especially the aluminum ones. Well, I might consider them for soft-tip. It seems that soft tips tend to bounce off of flights more than steel tips.
    fishepa
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    nylon is simple, easy, and the only way to go.

Could not have said it better myself.
    diddle
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm religiously nylon, like most. But I'm curious about the straight taper aluminum shafts MzzThang mentioned here:

http://sewa-darts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3494&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Phil Taylor
    Monty
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion about the aluminum is based on, in my opinion, all the horrors aren't so bad....

However, seeing the poll results, and being relatively new, I guess I have to give the ol' nylons a try.

The other reason I like the long aluminums is they balance the dart nicely (I throw 28 g Unicorn Golden Heros). When I went from short titanium shafts to long aluminum shafts, my throws just felt more in control.

All things being equal, (length, shape, etc.), I'm guessing that a nylon shaft is a little lighter than the aluminum? That might put me back where I don't want to be, with an unbalanced dart (per my grip).

What burns apart from witches? ... More witches!
    Chris
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Unicorn Titanium stems for quite a while now, they've survived bounce outs and Robin Hoods, these are all I use now, I'm not keen on nylon stems and aluminium ones do bend very easily. The titanium stems are a little more pricey but they last for absolutely ages, I'd recommend them to anyone.

With darts Chris Very Happy
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to give the titanium stems a try. Some people seem to like them thought I personally worry about the weight.

I thought things would be a lot more equal between aluminum and nylon. Seems like every time a discussion comes up on the subject there are supporters for both aluminum and nylon. If you have not commented please take the time to do so.

Thanks.

Enjoy the Journey!
    bobDslob
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot aluminum for years. Good looks and durability I thought. I had no problem with the extra cost. Then I found dartplayer.net and read a discussion kind of like this. Hmm, aluminum bends? I rolled my darts (sans flights) on a table and noticed a pronounced wobble in the shaft. I switched to nylon soon after that. I use the spiraline nylon shafts, and think they're just swell.
    Drac0
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use short aluminium. After reading this thread the other day I thought I'd give nylons a go and see. Well, I do like them, but found I was breaking so many it just wasn't worth it - 2 or 3 shafts an hour in practice. So I'm sticking with aluminium for now.
    string
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed at the number of people that find aluminum a usable shaft with few problems. I tried so hard to like aluminum, but they cost much more than nylon and once the prongs are bent from a robin hood, THEY DO NOT BEND BACK! Titanium shafts do bend back, but they fly differently than anything else - you have to like the way they fly, which I don't. It's nylon for me for the best results.
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was the intent of the thread. Each time we got into a discussion of shafts, I would tout the benefits of nylon to be countered by the aluminum shaft users. I wondered what percentage of people actually used aluminum? So far it's up to 21% and nylon is at 65%.

I think that if I have learned anything it is just that the people who throw with aluminum, like the way it feels every bit as much as I like the way my nylon shafts feel. They may be in the minority but they are not changing!

I don't doubt for a second that the rest of you in the lower percentages have also found what works for you.

If it feels right, it probably is.

Enjoy the Journey!
    Drac0
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do people open up tight alloy or titanium shafts to fit the flights in? That's one problem I am yet to overcome. Smile
    Ramses
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a knife blade when I threw with aluminum. I found sticking the point of my dart down the tines was too dangerous.

Switched to nylon and haven't had a problem since.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tools of the Trade All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: