· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - What other forums?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

What other forums?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: What other forums? Reply with quote

So many forums have come and gone that I've lost track and I'm wondering what other forums are still active out there? OR has everyone else moved to FB?
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help, this is the only dart-related forum I ever go to.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Surprised Shocked Very Happy

Guess that's why you are a General Wink
    cannibal
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of darts forums still active. Facebook didn't have the impact on them like you think it did here.
    thedartsforum.com
    doublefinish.com
    tsod.tv
    thedartsforum.co.uk
    www.dartsnutz.net

The main difference between you and them is your participants mainly are Americans and these are all primarily populated by Brits and Europeans. Also these sites have many more fans of the game as opposed of being primarily composed of participants as you are here. There is always something to talk about on the fan side of things as the sport continues to go forward with the PDC. OTOH how many times can you discuss cricket strategy, how crappy the ADO is, how to take out 82?

Your problem wasn't facebook your problem was much more nuanced than that. Look at the Facebook groups on darts they really aren't about discussion as so much banter and one way communication on events and products. You have so much more to offer as a platform than a facebook group.

This forum was in massive decline before phil fried set up the dart discussion group.

There is a place for fourms and you could do so much more with this site but it needs a complete over haul and refocusing and probably a new approach to moderation as well.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good response and while I'm not sure what you mean in all of it I'm curious enough to ask Smile What would you change in moderation? The rest of the site?
    cannibal
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderation: fewer of them and less interference and treat everyone the same regardless of name, personality, dart skill. And this should apply to John Part, Fartoid; right down to who ever the newest user is. You have to allow some banter and controversy. Like it or not this is what fuels forum traffic especially when their isn't much else to talk about or much going on. Just look at the history of this place, flame wars increased traffic like it or not. Not saying let things be continual barrage of personal insults but let threads die out on themselves. Certain mods here were way over protective of certain dart personalities and players and locked threads. Those people did what they did or said what they said and choose to participate here so you stand up and take the heat or don't bother participating in forums.

Overhaul: you have way to many subforums, some haven't been used for like 2 years. Fewer of these lumps more new posts in a section and makes things look busier than they are. This matters because people frequency of use is dependent on seeing new stuff. When they see new posts, its like what I have been missing stuff has been going on and I haven't been here.

If you want to cater to Americans you have to do more with soft tip. As much as it pains me to say as I don't like soft tip you have to find a way to bring them in the fold. Look at Darts Discussion group on facebook. mainly over run by soft tip players now. For better or worse they banter, they post, they create activity. You want to see what users want and how they want to interact you should be look at Darts Discussion group. I find it hilarious how many top players, their wives, and dart celebrity bloggers moan and complain how useless Darts discussion group is and how they don't like it.......Yet their they are reading and following all the time. Why, because it is active and its drama, darts is drama, just like its beer, why run from what makes the game attractive.

PDC, CDC, BDO streams, these events are being streamed more than ever. PDC we know it is pirated, look they know too that is fact yet they let it happen, there is a reason for it. people are watching here more than ever so let people post where to find streams pirated or not. Read the law your not liable or breaking the law as your not hosting the data but a link to it. Unethical? ok maybe but CDC are free, and PDC doesn't seem to care because they are not doing much if anything about it. Around tournaments people are always looking for streams or videos of matches and the stats or just a recap on what happened. I see major spikes in activity in the forums I listed above during PDC competitions.

You have a niche as being the only "American" dart forum so capitalize on that first and try to grow out from that. Your going to have to go out and actively promote this site and that means going out on facebook because that is where the darters are now. The other thing is there are loads of bloggers or darting news sites, you need to rope them in to post here at least links or preview of their latest editions. Darts weekly, Tungsten stories, Dart news, blah blah blah there are more than a dozen big ones get to googling.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots to reply to and I appreciate the post but wanted to jump in right away and point out that you CAN post links to video's etc and have been able to for a long time.

We started that some years ago but perhaps it wasn't made clear?

I agree on the forums too....too many. I may just move topics into 'general' that haven't been used and ditch the little used forums...I think we got too big at one time for so few forums but life and the net has changed in the last dozen years Wink
    cannibal
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the old threads in some of the sub forums that aren't used or to be eliminated can just be archived into well a sub forum called archive. This way it will still be searchable and relevant information can be accessed.

Re: video from sites like youtube, is their way to embed them here. If you take a look at tsod.tv you will see how they do it for e.g.
    http://www.tsod.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16169

Most forums now have a button for youtube in the post a reply page so that you can embed easily. it is like the img, url buttons above the text box for your reply.

Also I find myself using the quick reply box more and more. This is a text box at the bottom of the page you just type and submit without leaving the thread page.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is supposed to be a way to allow embed vids and it's something I've been looking into. Unfortunately there are not many developers for phpnuke anymore though some are still doing it. PhpNuke was THE forum to have and in many ways may still be in the top of forum software options but certainly it's becoming a little limitted (no facebook cross linking for example)....

I'll look at some options like quick reply (I've seen those in other forums I've visited) and getting the embeds to work
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note I've just rolled a lot of the unused forums into more 'general' forums so all posts are still there.

For example, old league forums that are no longer in use I rolled into 'General League' forum. So all posts still remain in the archives that way Wink

Others like Ask Target or ADO I rolled into 'General Darts' forum.

I'll do that with others as needed to pare things down a little.

I'm seriously looking for someone to hire to mod the forum from phpnuke/phpbb2 to phpbb3.1 which will give the vid embed stuff you are asking for. I'm just too far out of doing it myself these days to tackle it so I'm looking at hiring someone to do that and do some other site hacks (if I could find Mark Clifford he might be interested and I've sent an email to his old addy to see if he's still around)....

One thing about the site is that it's ancient in the computer world being 13 years old! Hard to believe but that's a LONG time in this forum world Smile

It means the software, while updated throughout those years is still based on an old platform started back in the late 90's!
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not talked to Mark in a bit but I may have a different addy for him if you would like me to find out.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanBadAss wrote:
    I've not talked to Mark in a bit but I may have a different addy for him if you would like me to find out.

I emailed with him last night Smile
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back to this thread today and realized I'm working on much of what was suggested. Hope to keep the forum going for a long time!
    davidsproull
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think think this is a bit of an older thread, but just for the record I visit here and dartsnutz.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too old Wink started last summer.

I think there are only a few forums left tSOD is still out there, as well as dartsnutz, perfectdarts forum is one I just found and had never heard of, then there is doublefinish.com, the darts forum....hmmmm I'm missing some. What was the forum in NZ that I helped get started? And then MistaDouble had a forum in the UK I thought was still going strong....
    Gene
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one I go to as well! Cool
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
    Only one I go to as well! Cool

Nice to see ya Gene! How's the pub doing? darts?
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: