· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Injuries and age
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Injuries and age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Injuries and age Reply with quote

Was thinking today about the trouble I've had with my right shoulder and how it has impacted my darts. With that I was thinking that my age isn't helping. I'm in my 50's and don't heal as fast as I used to and that seems to be a problem.

Before injuring my shoulder I was posting practice results well above my previous highs yet today, more than a month after my injury and still with pain in my shoulder I can't keep better than 70% of my darts in the segment I'm tossing at and it's infuriating!

My steel game was going well and my softtip game was starting to be what I'd call 'respectable' but today I've slipped below any semblance of a 'decent' dartplayer (in my mind) and it's killing me!

I'll keep at it but am wondering what other players in their 50's or 60's feel about this subject? Is it just me? Or are these old bones just not going to produce the darts they used to?
    Squiggle
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I'm in my early 40's and I feel that way. My biggest issue is that I'll have moments where I'm really on and just dropping in the triple and double like they're two feet wide. Then, the next few legs, I can't hit water if I fell out of a boat!

My lower back gets sore. My feet really bother me now a days too (plantar fasciitis). When I have a bounce out, it's a strain to bend over and pick up the dart if I've been playing for a while. I think I've gotten too stiff in my stance or maybe I'm tensing up too much. But telling yourself "just relax and don't do that" doesn't seem to work that well. Old, bad habits that's I got over time trying to physically fix a mental hitch and now they are causing more issues than what they were put in place to fix!

"Don't be a Douche Nozzle!"
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot some G3 Online today and to emphasize a point I hit only 6 out of 15 games above 3mpr!!! It was quite frustrating. Then I reset, changed my throw a little and was hitting well until the last leg when I lost focus and couldn't keep it up.

Had the back cracker adjust my back which helped my right hip that was hurting and my shoulder felt better but sheesh! Was only a little over a month ago I could average just under 4mpr!

My G3 online rating is now 2.99mpr! I just keep going lower which is not the direction I expect to go LOL
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm older than you, but I'm getting younger! Twisted Evil

I've learned that there are real methods and supplements to lower your biological age and have the abilities of someone much younger than your actual age.

Over the last few months, I've started some things and feel MUCH better. As soon as I get things going well enough to start adding healthy exercise - watch out! Wink
    Squiggle
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigB wrote:
    I'm older than you, but I'm getting younger! Twisted Evil

I've learned that there are real methods and supplements to lower your biological age and have the abilities of someone much younger than your actual age.

Over the last few months, I've started some things and feel MUCH better. As soon as I get things going well enough to start adding healthy exercise - watch out! Wink

Wait! You can't come on here sounding like an infomercial talking about the "methods and supplements to lower your biological age" and tell us they're working great for you and not tell us what they are?!?!?! Human Growth Hormone? GNG supplement? Grass root and veggies? Enquiring minds wanna know! lol

CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I can! Laughing

Ok one of the e-mailing lists I'm on is for a Dr. Al Sears out of Florida who has worked a lot on anti-aging.

http://alsearsmd.com/about/

I'm also learning more about Chinese Energetics (in the past I've been a certified hypnotherapist and a third-degree Reiki Master Teacher so I've seen a lot of woowoo and alternative medicines).
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are definitely things that can help. ACT for example was great but at $1 a drink I gave it up
    Squiggle
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigB wrote:
    (in the past I've been a certified hypnotherapist .

I'm sure this was covered on here at some point in time, but have you ever used hypnotherapy to help with dart focus issue. Either as the therapist or the patient? I suffer from a slight case of adult ADD and I feel like I have trouble staying focused and concentrating on what I'm doing at the oche. I've considered hypnotherapy for it.

CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! I've found it to be very... HEY!!! SQUIRREL!!!!!! Laughing
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After breaking a toe (crushed it with a big log) and tearing my shoulder some more (or just re-injuring it) I am reminded of this thread! My darts kinda suck but I'm not giving up! LOL

Hurts to 'toe' the line (literally but it's my left so it's not too bad) and throw but I will continue.
    davidsproull
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
    After breaking a toe (crushed it with a big log) and tearing my shoulder some more (or just re-injuring it) I am reminded of this thread! My darts kinda suck but I'm not giving up! LOL

Hurts to 'toe' the line (literally but it's my left so it's not too bad) and throw but I will continue.

I know in the past you have talked about putting heavy amounts of time on the board. Maybe give yourself some more off days/rest time?
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL the more off days I have the worse I throw....the more I practice, the better I play.

But it's all good! I haven't thrown much in the last 2+ months actually. Just barely hitting the board and playing league once a week.

I did however play in the Parity draw last night and managed to get into the top four. Not sure how many teams there were (not many -- as in maybe a dozen) but being handicapped and a parity draw I am always happy to make my way up the ladder into the top four these days Wink

And, as usual, got stopped by a 6 playing with a 1 (I'm a 12 and was playing with a 1) who played as well as me half the time and better the other half! and in our cricket game I was shooting nearly 4mpr when combined with my partner who was shooting well under 1mpr Very Happy So while I struggle with those in the soft world who (manage to) rate half what I am (and I'm not happy with my rating frankly) and then step up and play like more than double that all night long when money is on the line -- and celebrate when beating a better rated player as if it's the world series and they are playing straight up! lol

I always think "ok bub, let's go one on one, you and me, no handicap and put money on the line and see how that works out Wink - oh and after we are done your rating will match what you play against me!"....ya, never happen Very Happy
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for ya: I drove about 8hrs straight on Tuesday, then yesterday my left forearm near the elbow started to hurt as well as my left hand (I drive left handed most of the time)...now today the tendons in the elbow are tight and painful....good thing it's not my throwing arm! But sheesh! COME ON! It was only driving.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: