· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Don't waste those triples! Cricket Strategy
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Don't waste those triples! Cricket Strategy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you throw at the 19 in the above?
    No - Trip 18
    100%
     100%  [ 1 ]
    No - Trip 20
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 1

Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Don't waste those triples! Cricket Strategy Reply with quote

Just wrote an article on this that will post later today but wanted to share my thoughts here as well.

I was thinking about cricket strategy recently, having made the switch to soft tips, and keep coming back to something I've said before but I think bears repeating: don't waste your triples!

Consider that even the best of the best only hit about 42% triples on average and in cricket a triple may not always count as one. How so? Let's say you have 20's open for scoring (your opponent has none yet), one 19 and just threw a T20 to go up in points. You've got two darts in hand and one 19. You decide to throw at the 19 to try to close it and hit another single. With one dart in hand you can throw another 19 but if you hit the triple it will only count as a single because your opponent has already hit all three. In this case, if you hit the triple (which is what I throw at normally) it won't count as one...why waste it? In this scenario I'd much rather throw at the 18 and try to hit the triple to open another scoring number than waste a triple on the 19.

Or, perhaps you threw a single 20 to go up in points enough to warrant shifting to the 19, hit the single 19 to give you two of them and still have a 3rd dart in hand. Odds are, if you are a pretty decent shot that dart is going in a triple. So hitting the T19 only gives you 3 marks that round rather than 5 (since the triple only counts as one, albeit a close). On the other hand hitting the 18 puts more pressure on your opponent and gives you a second number to point on.

As a caution however, I'd advise going back to the T20 if you aren't that far ahead in points. A T20 gives you 60 more points and requires your opponent to hit 4 19's just to overcome the T20 (a single T19 only gives him/her 57 points so they will need a 4th to overcome the T20 you just hit and then more to overcome the point lead).

So don't waste triples only segments that won't score all 3 (or at least two) marks!
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be overlooking the fact that you're going to HAVE to throw a dart for a single 19 at some point anyway. No way to avoid it.

So, I'd close if I have a 60 point lead, 20s for scoring and two 19s already closed with one dart in hand. Not really a close call for me. And I'm NOT aiming at the triple...but the fat 19 of course.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I will do that but it's rare. I'm far more likely to go for the 18 and save the S19 for later.

I have a saying: I'd rather miss shooting for points or opening up another number than to miss trying to back close.

In the end it's probably more of a preference thing but to me 5 marks is always better than 3 Wink
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to consider is there is value creating separation between your scoring number and your opponent's. By closing the 19s THE BEST your opponent can do is create a scoring opportunity on 18s. That means your scoring triples (T20) are worth 6 points each more than theirs (T18). That's big leverage and another good reason to close 19s.
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another consideration is whether you're the better player or not. If your'e not, shortening the game rather than lengthening it by forcing a points shootout will give you the better chance. With enough darts, the better player will always win.

I really can't imagine leaving 19s open in this scenario against a good player who's very likely to take the point lead from me after their next turn if I do. (If they hit a 5 mark, they're ahead.)

The overriding strategy consideration in cricket for me is also keeping the pressure on the other player. If I'm the other player I'd LOVE my opponent to leave me a wide open turn to try to hit a 7 mark on the 19s and change the game entirely.

In general, when I'm behind, I always hope the other player will point and extend the game.
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, your saying implies you're worried you might miss that single 19. You're too good a player to miss that shot. Should be well over 90%.

I love this thread and Cricket because there is so much more strategy in the game. Makes it fun! And I feel I have an advantage in Cricket against the typical player because of strategy. (Maybe everyone feels this way...but true or not, confidence is a good thing.)
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, tried to write something while I was too tired to stand myself! ha! I plan to take a look at the above when I've had some rest.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't noticed already Kimber, Erik likes to extend cricket legs as far as possible. Hey, we're not over 1,000 points yet, let's keep going! Laughing
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my example needs some thinking and tweaking.

But I think of it this way: I'm only likely to hit a triple 33% of the time (each dart) at my best right now. My singles lately have been as low as 70% though usually run much higher.

So, with 60-80 point on the board and two singles in the 19 with one dart left you are correct I think in that hitting the 19 no matter where will put you in a better position but hitting the triple 19 does little other than close the number whereas a T20 ensures you must hit a lot more 19's and a T18 does two things: 1. I'm up 60-80 point which will require two trips to overcome and I have the 18 ready too so you can't no matter what, stop me from pointing next round. So best case scenario you hit T19, T19 to go up in points and a T20 to stop me hitting more 20's but you've got, at best a 54 point lead and I need only one triple (1Cool to match that, a S19 to close them and I still have one dart left to either hit more 18's or try to close off the 17 also.

In that case I've maximized my triples
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a recent match I had hit 6 20's to start and missed the 19 with my 3rd dart. My opponent matched me on the 19's so I hit another T20, threw one at the 19 and hit a single and went back to the 20 for another single to go up 80 points instead of 60. This meant my opponent had to score even more to catch up. He came close. I hit another T20 another S19 and went back to the 20 again and hit another S20 going up another 80 points instead of closing the 19 and possibly wasting a triple.

My opponent hit more 19's but not enough so I went right back to the 20 and hit a single, then a single 19 to close them and another T20!

I won that game and attribute it to not wasting darts trying to close the 19 but rather playing an aggressive point strategy to control the game.

Incidentally my opponent tried to play a 'back closing' game on me instead of trying to out point me and it cost him Smile

Sure, if I missed and he didn't I would have lost but I'd much rather miss trying to control the game (on the offense) rather then trying to stop him from pointing (defense).

Granted, in the end, if I just hit triples all the time I could end the game fast but I have found all to often that hitting the points won the game and back closing lost it.

Once playing Steve Arionus in the Cricket regionals I won the 1st of three with over 600 points (he was close) then in the second bowed to pressure and with a small lead went to close his scoring number and missed! Steve capitalized and I lost the 2nd leg so in the 3rd I went back to my very aggressive 'Thermonuclear' cricket style and won again with over 650 points on the board.

I was the only one to beat Steve 2 out of 3 that day but lost to him in the end because though I was the only one to do it, he smoked everyone else and earned more points.

To me, it's about winning and he with the most points in the end wins and I'd rather be the one needing only 3 bulls at the end than the one who needs 5 or 6 Wink
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, this is exactly why I like cricket and wish the Pros would play it. Different strategies and the ability to make your opponent do something other than what they wanted to!

Hmm... I may have just thought of a new game! If I get any free time later, I'll have to see if I did! Heh... Razz
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: