· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Over practice? Getting old? Who knows....
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Over practice? Getting old? Who knows....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Over practice? Getting old? Who knows.... Reply with quote

So I had the worst night of darts in a long long time last night. My right shoulder was very tight, night quite locked up but not far off and my trap was knotted. I couldn't hit the broad side of the barn and struggled to maintain any semblance of a decent throw all night!

I was hitting 5's like nobodies business and the more I tried to hit the 20's the more I went right into the 5's. It was abysmal.

After a lot of effort I managed to pull out a whopping 2.56 mpr in cricket and we did win 13-6 but I was well off the mark and very frustrated. In 01 I shot a rather disappointing 22.77PPD -- and I'm talking soft tip here.

It was a rough night and my right arm is tight and sore today. Maybe I overdid the training a bit, moved too much stuff this weekend or just, well, who knows? I am a few weeks from my 52nd birthday and I can tell you that the old body doesn't heal like it used to but this is ridiculous. Ahhh well, just means I have work to do!
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you had a bad night. If you're feeling tired, sore or weak, the darts probably aren't going to be good. Definitely been there.

I'm 54 and have definitely determined it's in my best interests NOT to have a marathon practice session the day before a match. If it's an important match I'm also careful to get a lot of sleep. I try to keep practice the day before to an hour or so...not the 3+ hours sessions I sometimes do.

Age is an interesting topic in and of itself as relates to dart performance. I started playing somewhat seriously when I was 48 and have improved more or less consistently ever since. I am kinda assuming there will be a time when physical issues will get in the way...but no signs yet.

Of course I have no baseline. I don't know whether I would have improved MORE during 6 years in my 20s or 30s. Maybe. On the other hand, I think I have better composure and patience now than I did then...which makes me a tougher competitor. Trade offs for sure.

I also am lucky to be relatively pain-free with no chronic issues to speak of. I am active running/hiking.

Anyway, I just saw Paul Lim throw some amazing darts in the Masters @ 63 yo. So if I'm lucky enough to keep health issues at bay for another 10 years or so, I'm just going to assume age isn't a factor for me...at least yet.

One other consideration. I'm sure I'd be less motivated to improve now if I'd been playing for decades. I still expect my best darts are ahead of me and would like to be a solid 70s ppr player in steel tip. (80s would be better, but first things first!) I know most folks my age don't feel their best darts are still ahead of them.

I'll also say I'm quick to take a couple days off after a particularly bad practice session or match. My way of thinking of it is maybe I picked up a bad habit (or at minimum bad thoughts) and I can "reset" if I give it a day or two off. When I do that I often come back throwing like I was before the shitshow.

Good luck!
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's tough since I've played almost all my life and I'm 52 next month. I also have a bad shoulder (injured in '89) and a body I've not been kind to (USMC can do that to you as well as the USA and I did both).

I am actually better in many ways than I was when I was very competitive in the past (it's been since July of 2006 since I last competed at a higher level and I was at the end of a good 2+ year run). So, I'm seeing improvements but dealing with a worn out body too.

I've had runs over the decades (literally) when I picked up the darts and got serious and really played a lot and practiced relentlessly (hence the creation of 100@ routines back in '03 or '04) but for a guy who can average 4mpr on a steel tip board to see 2.5mpr on a bigger soft tip board I was pretty upset (at first anyway) and very frustrated....and in 01 where I can easily throw games in the mid 40's and average in the 30's and not be overly happy, to throw in the low 20's was a shocker to say the least.

I through 5 hats in a row in 'count up' the week before and was nailing the bulls like crazy on a soft tip machine and to come out and hit two in 16 games was a real disappointment. I'll get it back though.

Today the arm and shoulder are tight and out of wack so I won't pick up a dart and I may not pick one up until Monday (more likely)....I'll let the arm heal and wait to do some practice until then.

Normally I like to hit the board for several hours the day before league and at least a couple hours the day of, then a good 30 minutes to warm up and I'm ready to go.

Looking at last season coming off a 10 year hiatus (for the most part anyway) I actually shot BETTER on my first night than I did last night after months of playing at least once a week and a lot of practice.

I think in the end it's a combination of the injured shoulder (torn bursa) and overdoing practice after a weekend of physical work. Now I just need to rest and come out swinging next week!
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'd write it off entirely to the injury, give it some rest and expect to be back to normal shortly. No point forcing it when either mind or body aren't up to it. That never works.
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Kimber whole heartedly. I've struggled with injuries for years. Until I quit Club soccer. It was a weekly thing.
    It's been really tough to get back to the levels of just 2 years ago for me. Lack of consistent competition has been my folly. I am determined this summer to change all of that.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hit the practice rankings! Very Happy

And yes, I think the injury is the major issue and though I'm struggling with it I'm still doing 'ok' most of the time but I'm fighting a lot of inconsistency lately. With luck time will heal it up and I'll be back scoring well again. At the moment I can hit several 180's in a few hours of off and on again practice but I can totally miss too.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: