· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Losing weight, getting in shape, whatnot and tools
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Losing weight, getting in shape, whatnot and tools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Non-Dart stuff
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Losing weight, getting in shape, whatnot and tools Reply with quote

Hi all,

So some of you know (perhaps all of you! lol) that I'm on a pretty serious effort to lose the weight I put on since leaving the service. I'm also trying to eat healthily so I will no longer need things like blood pressure meds (I'm off them now Very Happy ) etc.

In my effort I came across this site: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and wanted to share it with those of you who may also be interested. it's a GREAT tool for those of us who just have no idea how to eat anymore (ok that's almost everyone in the USA!!) and would like to know what's in the foods we eat and how much of it is too much (might be surprised).

It's a tool that allows you to put in your daily activity level and then how much exercise you plan to do (if any) and how much weight you want to lose (or gain for that matter) and then helps you see what your daily diet/food intake etc will do in terms of helping you lose or gain weight.

I love the site and it's helped me improve my program (change of lifestyle really).

Personally I've lost about 19lbs since I started working at it last December and I'm about 25 lbs lighter then my heaviest....my goal? Lose another 60!

Cheers
    Erik
    dartnut
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Eric.

I had to go to the doc's for a medical (need one to be a taxi driver here) and my blood pressure was classified as dangerous. She wanted to put me on pills but I asked to try diet and excersise. I weighed 109kg (239.8lbs) with a bp of 194/107. Went on a popular points counting diet and in 2 months have lost 14kg (30.8lbs) and my bp is now high but not dangerous 138/91.
    I went out and purchased a cross trainer and an excercycle and use them every night.
    Lose another 10kg (22lbs) and i hope to be ok.

This site will help with a bit more motivation and easier for me to use than the wifes points counter thingy she uses.

Great work at your progress so far Eric and keep at it.

Have you noticed any change to your dart game?
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it up dartnut!

Do you eat grains? One thing I've learned is that I needed a LOT more fiber in my diet. I thought I was getting enough and I wasn't even close! Then I changed my diet and was getting closer to the 38g a day you need but even with 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal and wheat, and 3 1/2 cups of whole grain rice and quinoa daily I was still under! And that was with a big salad too.

I've added Chia Seeds now also and eat a lot less meat and dairy (though I still eat them).

Today I can say I've balanced my carbs, proteins and fats much better (thanks to this tool) and can see just how much I can eat without overdoing it.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
    Keep it up dartnut!

Do you eat grains? One thing I've learned is that I needed a LOT more fiber in my diet. I thought I was getting enough and I wasn't even close!

Is that why you were usually full of... Oh, nevermind. Razz Laughing

The water rule of thumb, by the way, is to drink half your body weight in ounces. As you can see, that means the usual "8 cups of water per day" only applies to someone who weighs 128 lbs.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not drinking quite that much water but I'm close and find I'm pretty well hydrated.

Going to try Chia Seeds now too which are supposed to help with hydration because of their excellent water retention qualities not to mention all the other stuff they bring along (Omega 3, 6 &9's, fiber etc).
    Wire
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the meal plans from the clean eating magazine site. They lay out the Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner plans for months/weeks at a time. I don't like everything, but I have been able to pull some good ideas from there.

5 smaill meals (all containing protein) a day and Water have been the keys to losing weight for me.

Oh..and cutting out alcohol helps me drop a few pounds quick.
    2007 MMDL - A Division State Champs - The Incredibles
    2006 SSDA - CHAMPIONS - Jonesy's
    dartnut
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I now eat a lot of grains, weetbix http://www.weet-bix.co.nz/weet-bix-family.aspx or oatmeal in the morning. Was a big bread eater (14 - 15 slices of white per day) and have cut that way back to 2 per day of wholegrain. Eat dry roasted pumpkin seeds and a lot of raw brazil nuts and almonds. Will have to give the chia a try.
    Having given up alcohol in the eighties cutting that out wasn't an issue but when playing darts I would drink gallons of coke, switching to iced water has helped heaps with the odd small coke for a bit of a change. Lots of fruit helps as well, apples oranges bananas and kiwifruit being my favourites. We have planted a small vege plot in our yard and currently eatig peppers, pumpkins, lettuces and silverbeet(chard).
    I am still a typical kiwi bloke and feel a meal isn't a meal if there's no meat on the plate (if it don't have four legs then it's not meat) so we still have that every nite but I have a lot less than I used to.
    I don't drink a lot of water during the day as I would spend a lot of time out of the car getting rid of it and miss fares so I catch up after the end of my shift.
    Maybe a SEWA biggest loser comp would help as motivation.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your on the right track! better then me Dartnut! I don' eat a lot of fruit but I plan to.

The thing is I'm trying to manage 1600 calories a day on days I don't ride or walk and usually not more then 1800 on days that i do (maybe 2k max). If i maintain that I'll lose 3-4 pounds a week.

As for meat, I AINT giving that up! lol but like you I eat a lot less now.

Once I'm down to a respectable weight I can adjust my diet to match my BMI and activity level.
    dartnut
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good weekly target Eric thats about what I'm trying for as well. Can't do a lot of walking as ater years of squash tennis and badminton without treating small injuries properly ( kiwi bloke "she'll be right") my knees and ankles can't handle long brisk walks anymore so thats why I got the cross trainer low impact and a bit of Metallica or Ozzy in the headphones and away I go for 45min.
    If you can get it at the right price try stewed fruit with your oatmeal. All our neighbours have plum trees so I raid them for fruit at the mo. Rhubarb is also good and easy to grow.
    We can give it our best shot, were not hurting anyone and only improving ourselves mate.
    Brian
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen brother! Amen!

Heck, we might even encourage others Wink
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down about 9 pounds since I started this thread!

It's a tough road but I'm still on it Smile
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down 45 pounds from my heaviest now and 40 since I started last December to really lose the weight.

I also use mapmyride.com to track my rides and walks. I've now walked just shy of 400 miles since December 5th of last year and biked some 335 miles since the beginning of February Smile

At 236lbs today I'm definitely noticing the effects of the weight loss and gee whiz, even my darts are better Smile
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

232 and down 50lbs Smile
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
    232 and down 50lbs Smile

That's great Eric. When I started my diet last June, I weighed in at a whopping 325 lbs. I am now happy to say I am down to 243 lbs. My goal is to get down to 200 lbs. It seems such a long way off, but I will reach my goal if it kills me. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    YoungDrtr
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to shoot you some support man. It's always good to work on yourself like that do things to better yourself. Stay motivated and you'll do great and you'll feel great after. Just set minor goals and keep focused on reaching them. It's gonna take some work and some discipline but with the right diet you'll be at your ideal range in no time.

I read somewhere that there are certain foods out there that you can snack on that actually naturally help boost your metabolism and help you lose weight. Try to replace as many of those fatty foods with those good foods and also stay away from drinking as much as possible cause lots of empty fat in all types of alcohol. It also makes you get "the drunchies" and when your drunk there is no one stopping you from food. At least for me there isn't. Laughing

Congrats on the good start and good luck the rest of the way. Rooting for ya.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Non-Dart stuff All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: