· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Cant release the dart
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Cant release the dart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    D3
    Private

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Cant release the dart Reply with quote

Get to the line and cant throw the dart, anybody got any advice? Dont know if I should quit for a while or try and get through it.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We call this 'dartitis' and many have experienced it. Most notably Eric 'The crafty Cockney' Bristow.

For many it seems they need to figure out what caused the problem first (it's generally not a physical problem I beleive) and then work through it.

Keep an eye on your post though as several here have fought this issue and will chime in (like CraigB and others).
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will need a lot more information.
    Is this an ongoing thing?
    What are you doing when you "cant" throw?
    Are you having the problem of literally releasing the dart?
    How long have you been playing?

<More info the better
    6 Darter Me
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never had this personally but heard its best to play through such

from others whom have had the dreaded Dartitis best of luck ..
    D3
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can release the dart if I jump to the side, and than who knows where its going to hit, been playing for a few yrs. I was doing pretty good I would have a little step to the side. Came. Home one night and wanted to beable to stand still and throw, worked for a day or two. Than I went to league one night and I couldnt release the dart
    Mervyn
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have asked, when you say you can't release the dart do you mean you can't do it properly, or you literally cannot let go of the dart ?
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D3 wrote:
    I can release the dart if I jump to the side, and than who knows where its going to hit, been playing for a few yrs. I was doing pretty good I would have a little step to the side. Came. Home one night and wanted to beable to stand still and throw, worked for a day or two. Than I went to league one night and I couldnt release the dart

I have had this exact same experience and understand your frustration. I found that if I took a small step to the side it allowed me to release the dart with no hesitation. However, my experience was that only worked for some time and then I began to have trouble releasing the dart even with a step.

I firmly believe dartitis is a purely mental condition that is created from putting too much pressure on yourself to succeed. That is why the jump to the side works.....it takes your mind off of releasing the dart and thinking about the jump. This allows your mind to "forget" the trouble with the release.

I wish I had the answer. I've actually had some success battling back from dartitis several times, but I've only been able to sustain it for a short period of time before it rears its ugly head again. I've taken long absences from the game, psychotherapy, throwing with the opposite hand, throwing like a baseball, etc. I hope one of these techniques works for you, but I've struggled with it always being in the back of my mind and waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I've finally resigned to the fact that I'm just not mentally strong enough to compete at the level I would like. I've been contemplating visiting a sports psychologist to help with my mental state, but I'm unsure if it's worth the time and energy.

I hope you can easily conquer this disease and get back to competing at a high level. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
    D3
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can release the dart, after lunging way to the left, I cant stand still and let go
    LBD
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dartitis by definition is mental not physical just like the yips. It is a way of describing a physical ailment that has no physical cause. On the upside it is totally curable. On the downside it can be much harder often to deal with the psychi than a physical ailment. I would suggest treating it like a fear or phobia. You have to find new ways to look at throwing darts. For example if you were to replace your darts with a bean bag and throw it at a tree instead of a dart board board but use the same form as when u throw darts I bet u would have no problem not lunging. The trick is time and patience working back in the elements you are used to IE the darts and board. This is just an example actual practice of doing this is more intricate.
    cannibal
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D3 can you throw a small piece of paper from the oche to the board with out lunging, and throwing with a proper release?

Also, how often were you practicing or throwing darts in a week? Number of days and avg hours per day would be great.

If you can, I may be able to help you. If you can't then my method may still work. I went thru dartitis, yips, whatever anybody wants to call it. I couldn't move my arm forward to throw the dart, then when I did I couldn't let go of the dart. Took me about 2 months to get completely rid of it. Been over 2 years and haven't had it come back.

The important thing is to have a method to tackle it and get you throwing proper darts again.

I sent you a PM with my email address, send me a msg to that email and I will send you the details.
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to be helpful Cannibal Thanks
    6 Darter Me
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard of a new way to end the cure for Dartitis

Its get a banana skin in your throwing hand and with your dart stuck firmly inbetween the banana skin then let rip and it shall skid right through the banana skin and right into the double you are after to win the game

and hey presto a new concept for dartitis --> a BANANA SKIN Laughing
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck?
    D3
    Private

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some good days and some bad, its just a big mind game that I cant beat right now
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well keep at it!
    hammy73
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fought this for over a year, and still have problems. There could be several reasons for my problem:

Stress from the wife
    Trying a fundamental change in my dart throw
    Putting too much pressure on myself to throw perfect darts

I believe most of my problem stems from trying too hard. I have just decided to let them fly. Yes I still work on my follow through, but I don't think about my throw every time I step up anymore.

Let your mind go, don't try to throw the dart, let your natural ability come back.
    warp1
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fought this for 3 years now....came on the same way others have described, I wanted to be good too quick, made some changes, and whoa....I couldn't make my body let go of the damn dart. At first it was funny....but crushed me after a while.

I'm getting closer every day and can throw normal and smooth now in practice...but still freeze more often than not during league or even a webcam game.

I don't really have any great advice...I think I tried it all, throwing with the lights out, throwing different ways, foot position different, quitting for 6 months...etc.

I do think I'm finally having fun playing again and that was key for me. Steve mentioned something on 1 of the dartalk episodes that really helped lately. I spend a week throwing at a fast pace (like the Dutch) and then slowed it down...seemed to help.
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: