· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - How to play Soft Tip cricket?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

How to play Soft Tip cricket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Soft tip/Electronic Leagues
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: How to play Soft Tip cricket? Reply with quote

I have a simple question. How does a player play soft-tip cricket? This may sound odd to ask as they are for the most part the same game. But I noticed playing slightly above average soft tip players in steel. The strategy is different. I noticed the players I played went for a lot of what would be considered "Hero" shots in Steel Tip.

Now I tend to be a close and go and score as needed cricket player. On occasion I will change up my game and play various forms as I see applicable. Most newer players I play go for point and point some more. Which is fine, but normally full hardy against the better players in Steel tip.

Now I don't want to influence answers on this so I'll stop short of saying what happened. I am just curious what is the default cricket strategy for Soft Tip players.
    Robot
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear Jooz's opinion as a successful player in both games. I'm never really played much softtip.
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Robot, Jooz is a wealth of info on this matter. Hope he stops by.
    I'd consider emailing him... However I am curious on what the strategy is for players not as accomplished. Above average soft tippers. Ie what the majority of them Do.

I have noticed watching Paul L and a few other soft tip pros. That the strategy isn't all that different. However, that's at their Level and competing against those of similar.
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some soft tip leagues/tourns have dart limit rules. 20/35/30 dart limits. That would effect how I throw for sure.
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although i have seen a mix of styles at bullshooter events - I will say when in doubt - point - style of play is very popular. I myself play it simple, when ahead close, if I fall behind point if I have the throw. If I do not have the throw - presure by closing/scoring on next availible number. From what I watch on darts live (they mostly play the same way).
    With the larger double,trip beds and bull their isn't room for a lot of creativity - you have to hit or your done.
    JohnP
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the highest level, but as an average "A" player in steel who played soft for years before switching, I'd say the strategy is quite different. And you hit the nail on the head - it's the "hero" shots. The triples are so much bigger that you can rely on hitting them.

When I switched to steel I had to change my strategy. The first season, I lost every leg of cricket through the first half of the season. My opponents weren't shooting better. But I was killing myself by going for the hero shots and, naturally, missing most of them.

Gambling on shots like that in soft tip often pays off. In steel, it rarely does.

Last edited by JohnP on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah John P.
    One of my points (excuse the pun)
    It just seemed like there was much more of the One dart to do miracles. Steel tippers tend to be more conservative. At least the good ones. We tend not to "Hero" so much unless we know its a percentage shot. I also think it matters if its a split bull or not.

If you don't mind JohnP. Could you give me a quick run down on how you would shoot a match.
    JDNY
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The games are different. I tend to point as much as I possibly can in soft tip. It's easier for the person you're playing against to go and 9 mark a new number and take the lead. So I always try to prevent that by keeping a big enough lead with points. I used to be a really good steel tip player that switched over to soft tip because that was all that was available where I moved. Soft tip made me an all around better player imo. I became more dominate when I took that strategy over to steel tip. Starting winning a lot more often.
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed also JD. It works both ways. I call soft tippers cluster shooters. And it seems the 3rd dart is always a pointing dart.
    JohnP
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopRalph11 wrote:
    Aah John P.
    One of my points (excuse the pun)
    It just seemed like there was much more of the One dart to do miracles. Steel tippers tend to be more conservative. At least the good ones. We tend not to "Hero" so much unless we know its a percentage shot. I also think it matters if its a split bull or not.

If you don't mind JohnP. Could you give me a quick run down on how you would shoot a match.

Lol, it's been 6 yrs or so since I played soft tip, so I'm not sure I can run down the specifics of a game. And, I don't use that strategy anymore (thankfully!).

Also, I should say that the "hero" shots are not, necessarily, the "right" way to play soft tip. There's just more of tendency for the reward from hitting it to outweigh the chance you'll miss (bigger targets).

As an example, though, I do remember exactly what was killing me when I switched to steel:

1. I would often throw a third dart to close a number I had 0 or 1 mark in. In soft tip I had a decent chance of hitting it. In steel the chance is too small. Generally in steel I won't throw to close a number unless I can do so by hitting singles. Not that I necessarily aim at the singles, but I can't rely on hitting more than one mark with each dart.

2. I would sometimes allow my opponent to have a small point lead and worry about fixing that later in the game, knowing that I had a decent chance of hitting 5-9 marks, even several turns in a row. In steel, I just can't rely on needing that many marks. I have to get that point lead back ASAP.

So I guess the big difference is that you can rely on hitting so many more marks per dart or per turn. But so can your opponent, and you have to factor that in. (For example, if you're going to run points, you'll need a lot more of them in soft tip.)

I gotta get back to work, but if I can think of some specific scenarios, I'll post them later. (Got one good example in mind.)
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JohnP. Thats what I meant when I said cluster shooters. There is that chance in soft to hit the big marks of 7-9 at a greater percentage. So you have to be aware. Conversely. The greater chance of back closing. So you need to take advantage of any situation to point.
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from a top level shooter, however I target triples and expect to hit them in soft tip- I also expect to close the bull in one pass (a double and single or 3 outer ring singles). I would equate a Men's level Bullshooter player game play would equate to a upper "A" level style of Steel tip play.

* because we are talking darts, my expectation/reality sometimes conflict.
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is an element of fearlessness when a Soft tip player plays steel. As you said, there is an expectation to hit targets. Vs sometimes I think steel-tippers err on the side of cautiousness.
    habanerojooz
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who you played Ralph, but I'm guessing that it was 'G' and not 'JF'.

If I were to chart my cricket games, it would show my risk taking profile in soft tip is different than in steel. In soft tip cricket, I find that I often take more risk than I do in steel tip cricket. The size of the targets influence this. Confidence is also another factor.

Cricket is a situational game. The decisions that I make for an entire turn or for a single dart, are based upon the game situation and how I'm feeling at that moment in time. A person might see me shoot what they would classify as a 'hero' dart, whereas in my mind, it was the right dart and for the right reasons.

The World Stage 7 occurs in Vegas in a few weeks. Because it is held in the USA, it will be easier for people in the US, to watch the streamed events. Watch these events and you may see subtle differences between players from different countries and the choices they make throughout a cricket game.

FYI: from a tournament entries perspective, the Vegas event is Sold Out.

Last edited by habanerojooz on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
    JohnP
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopRalph11 wrote:
    I think there is an element of fearlessness when a Soft tip player plays steel. As you said, there is an expectation to hit targets. Vs sometimes I think steel-tippers err on the side of cautiousness.

Exactly. Funny thing - the night of this thread, I ran into some players at the local dart bar. Two of us are ex-softtippers converted to steel, one was steel only, and one was soft only (first time ever playing steel). With this thread in mind, I watched the strategies as we played doubles (the other converted player as my partner). My partner and I went for a hero shot or two, the steel player stayed conservative...never going for any, and the soft tipper went for several, not realizing that you just can't hit those consistently. Fun games with a variety of strategies I don't think I've really payed attention to before. It was consistent with the theme of this thread, though.
    heinsmd
    Private

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the soft tip cricket league I play in my teams strategy is as someone else mentioned, when in doubt point. We try to be up 100 points. And if we are up in marks we, throw two for marks one for points.
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great observations JohnP. That is how I would suspect they would throw. Interesting isn't it.
    Habs, This thread as suspected; Would not apply to an accomplished player as yourself. Your variance would be subtle. With a greater level of impact per the situation. And I echo what you said. There is really no "Hero" darts if you're confident and have the ability to back it up.
    As i have said previously; The players I played against I would only consider above average soft tippers. No one of note in Houston although possibly in the soft tip side. As I did hear them talking about the Bullshooter.

What i found most interesting was the variance of the order of the 3 darts thrown. Normally I don't watch players shoot. But I did this time as they were players I did not know and it was my first time seeing or playing them. I know a variance in your game prep of any sort is not a good idea. Curiosity simply got the better of me.

I ended up losing 2 out of 3 legs in singles simply because I could not believe A/How fortunate the 3rd Hero dart was and B/ Simply was not prepared for the willingness to take those risks.

By the time I got to doubles I and my partner had adjusted and copped with it easily.

Point being of this thread is beware the soft tippers tendency and their confidence to throw with a greater expectation then in steel. Its fine if you're playing multiple sets but a different story if you're playing just 3 legs.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Soft tip/Electronic Leagues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: