· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - How do you play Cricket?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

How do you play Cricket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: How do you play Cricket? Reply with quote

That was the question that got me thinking...

On a recent league night a guy, I had never met before, asked me that question. I launched into the standard explanation of; three marks are needed to close each of your numbers 20 to 15 and bulls in any order you like, point on your opponent once you close numbers that he hasn't closed, pointing helps you keep your advantage until all of your numbers closed, and once you have all numbers closed and greater than or equal points... you win.

He then proceeded to tell me about several of the different ways he had been told cricket could be played, some I had heard of before but others I had not. We talked about 'Call Cricket', Cricket were no pointing is allowed, Cricket where you must close your numbers in order, playing Cricket with numbers 20 to 12 and Bulls, Cricket when you could only score points by hitting doubles or triples, cricket where if you closed a number with less than two darts you got another turn.... for some games he did not remember the rules...

So it got me thinking...

How many different ways are there that Cricket can be played? Have you heard of or played any of these games?
    If you play a different "brand" of Cricket, please tell us about it and post the rules.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Through 6 Cricket. No Points.

This is a version sometimes played locally which has you shooting at 1-6 and the bull.

Otherwise it's the same game.
    abneg
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played no score where you also needed three doubles and three trips any number.

Alex

Benjamin Franklin
    Shizzill
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cricket with no points is boring, like playing single finish in an '01 game
    tormentor
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I learned to play cricket way back when- I was taught you had close your numbers in order ( couldn't close 19 until 20 was closed). Slop shot's didn't count. It was actually pretty fun that way and the score was always pretty low
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dart night has become popular at my house, we started playing 3 way standard Cricket... Its like a whole new game, depending on how well the players are playing. Ie to point or close - not set in stone.
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash336 wrote:
    Dart night has become popular at my house, we started playing 3 way standard Cricket... Its like a whole new game, depending on how well the players are playing. Ie to point or close - not set in stone.

That reminds me of a game we used to play called "cutthroat" Cricket, it's great when you have an odd number (3, 5, 7 or more) of players.
    Rules:
    Object is to close your numbers 20 thru 15 and bull, and have the fewest points.
    - Each player plays for themselves and has a separate score.
    - Once you close a number you can score points.
    - Points scored are added to any other players total score that does not have that number closed.
    - You can make alliances with players to score points against other players.
    - Alliances can be secret or public, but only one player can win so most alliances are short lived.... especially if money is involved!
    - The player with all numbers closed and having the least points wins the game.
    JohnP
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cutthroat Darttalker mentioned is the best way to play with anything other than 2 or 4 (doubles) players. It also works well for 6 players - 3 teams.

A game I've played locally I think is called Bull Cricket. Standard rules except you have to hit a bull (single or double) each turn before anything else counts. The "in" bull does not count for a mark in the bull unless it's a DB, which counts as the "in" plus a mark. A third dart bull counts as the "in" for the next turn (if that was your "in" shot).
    abneg
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    That reminds me of a game we used to play called "cutthroat" Cricket, it's great when you have an odd number (3, 5, 7 or more) of players.
    Rules:
    Object is to close your numbers 20 thru 15 and bull, and have the fewest points.
    - Each player plays for themselves and has a separate score.
    - Once you close a number you can score points.
    - Points scored are added to any other players total score that does not have that number closed.
    - You can make alliances with players to score points against other players.
    - Alliances can be secret or public, but only one player can win so most alliances are short lived.... especially if money is involved!
    - The player with all numbers closed and having the least points wins the game.

Whooowee!!
    I can see the fisticuffs flying now.
    Add some beer. Stir in a little cash. KABOOM!!

Benjamin Franklin
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnP wrote:

A game I've played locally I think is called Bull Cricket. Standard rules except you have to hit a bull (single or double) each turn before anything else counts. The "in" bull does not count for a mark in the bull unless it's a DB, which counts as the "in" plus a mark. A third dart bull counts as the "in" for the next turn (if that was your "in" shot).

I forgot about Bull Cricket, I used to love playing that game!
    Blakemoneous
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the following are from soft tip but there isnt any reason one couldnt play them using "real" darts.

Low Ball Cricket - ones through fives and bull. Hitting T1, T2 and T3 in order is called a wicket and wins the game. (never cared for it and is rarely seen except on older boards).

Random cricket - random six numbers and the bull. If a number hasn't been marked yet, a new random number is chosen before each persons' turn.

Hammer cricket - 20,19,18 and a random number followed by 17,16,15 and another random number. Each player throws three darts at the 20, then 19 and so forth. The first dart thrown is worth 1x the target, 2x the target on the second dart and 3x the target for the third dart. (e.g. If I throw S20, S1, T20, I would receive 200 points. 20, 0 and 180). On the last random number the stakes are raised and each dart is now worth 1x, 3x and 5x. It is a very fast paced and exciting game.
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play something we called SOB Cricket among some other, more salty names. There can be as many players as you want. We played for $.10 a point.
    Points are scored to you in what ever frames you have open by each person who has it closed and you score points for anyone you can, where ever you can. So you get to make friends Confused on every turn. Cool

When someone closes out the game is over. At that point everyone settles up with everyone else for the difference between their scores e.g: 10 point difference = $1.00 won or lost.

You don't play this very many times before you learn that your jaws will tighten when who ever is in the lead, or ahead of you, decides to load up your points on the frames you have open instead of closeing out the game or scoring in someone else's open frame . Being last is not a good thing.

The reason for it being called SOB Cricket also becomes very clear.
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSilberzah wrote:
    I used to play something we called SOB Cricket among some other, more salty names. There can be as many players as you want. We played for $.10 a point.
    Points are scored to you in what ever frames you have open by each person who has it closed and you score points for anyone you can, where ever you can. So you get to make friends Confused on every turn. Cool

When someone closes out the game is over. At that point everyone settles up with everyone else for the difference between their scores e.g: 10 point difference = $1.00 won or lost.

You don't play this very many times before you learn that your jaws will tighten when who ever is in the lead, or ahead of you, decides to load up your points on the frames you have open instead of closeing out the game or scoring in someone else's open frame . Being last is not a good thing.

The reason for it being called SOB Cricket also becomes very clear.

I think SOB well describes the inventor of this game... Laughing but it sounds like fun. Cool
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: