· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - 20s nightmare
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

20s nightmare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    PitViper
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: 20s nightmare Reply with quote

Hello,,I am currently throwing in two leagues and I love the game..I win my share but the 20s have plagued me since the beginning and they still overshadow my confidence..I have lost alot of cricket games because I fall behind from not closing my 20s right away..Ive also lost alot of 01 games because of inconsistency throwing at trip 20..I am the king at scoring a sack of nails...Any suggestions...Thanks
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nothing new in the game of darts. 20itis effects everyone at some point. Not such a big deal in 01 games as the 19 can be your best friend. As CraigB Mr 171. What you do need to check on is where you are missing. Most of the time its the horizontal plane. Meaning you are missing into the 1 and 5. I have been known to become the King on the T5 at times. When i do that nowadays I know its my body alignment and my dart velocity. Basically I am pulling my dart and not releasing to the board. Things to check: 1 where is you back foot. If its too far behind your body. You will naturally release to the left. Obvious but sometimes not noticeable. 2 Is your elbow raised to the right. If so straighten it out. All fine and great if you are missing into the 5's but if you missing into the 1 then you have too much weight on your front foot. Steady yourself a bit and equal your stance weight distribution.

Let us know if you are struggling vertically or horizontally. The wealth of knowledge on SEWA will be happy to help.
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ralph on his helpful hints, but it may not be any of those things. You may very well be talking yourself into missing the 20's.
    If your going to the line, thinking you are going to miss, chances are, you will. I would first make sure that you have a clear mind when throwing, not only at the 20's, but every number.
    Myself, I have trouble with the 17's. I have caught myself going to the line knowing I am going to miss. But if I go to the line full of confidence, and a clear mind, I have no problem hitting it. Just another suggestion for you to examine. "Dart's", what a grand game, huh. Laughing
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once listened to a sports performance tape set that went into how we talk ourselves out of hitting the spots we want (the reference was to a tennis shot, but I think you can see how it applies to darts). The analogy they presented was of riding a bike between a couple of raised bumps on the ground. The key to missing the bumps was to concentrate on the flat area between the bumps and not on missing the bumps (which is actually causing you to seek the bumps instead).

To bring this to the dart world, you need to find a way to only think about the area of the 20's pie you're shooting at (including up to a speck, a spot or even an individual fiber) and avoid thinking about the penalty of missing into some other area.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigB wrote:
    I once listened to a sports performance tape set that went into how we talk ourselves out of hitting the spots we want (the reference was to a tennis shot, but I think you can see how it applies to darts). The analogy they presented was of riding a bike between a couple of raised bumps on the ground. The key to missing the bumps was to concentrate on the flat area between the bumps and not on missing the bumps (which is actually causing you to seek the bumps instead).

To bring this to the dart world, you need to find a way to only think about the area of the 20's pie you're shooting at (including up to a speck, a spot or even an individual fiber) and avoid thinking about the penalty of missing into some other area.

Excellent post and I couldn't agree more!

Another thing you can do is kill that damn 20. Throw the 100@20's practice over and over and over and over and over and over again....

Don't worry about what you shot first, or second etc, just do it. I find that practicing in it's various forms can and does improve my darts. If I need better finishing then Bob's27 works well for me as well as the other finish/double practices, if i need more scoring, then unadulterated practice on the 20's improves all aspects of my scoring (I may be different that way though).

Anyway, keep at it, it will come Smile
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: