· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Encouraging The Fun Factor
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Encouraging The Fun Factor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Grey_Owl
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Encouraging The Fun Factor Reply with quote

What are proven things that teams do to encourages fun, playful teasing, camaraderie on game nights ?

Our team is not going to get any better so we might as well enjoy ourselves more fully and perhaps be more relaxed to perform at peak more often but I want to focus on enjoyment factor. Getting better occurs on the practice board.

Any ideas?

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle. ~Author Unknown
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Encouraging The Fun Factor Reply with quote

Grey Owl wrote:
    What are proven things that teams do to encourages fun, playful teasing, camaraderie on game nights ?

Our team is not going to get any better so we might as well enjoy ourselves more fully and perhaps be more relaxed to perform at peak more often but I want to focus on enjoyment factor. Getting better occurs on the practice board.

Any ideas?

I find that when I compliment my team mates the morale and enjoyment of the whole team goes up.
    Things like - nice shot now we have them over confident (26 or less)
    Thank you that helps keep our average down.
    OH, OH, that's my hero!! (hit a double)
    You should have shot right at it (darts on the wire).
    I got my half, now it's up to you (hit 20 when needing 40 to win)
    And lots of other things.
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    Hatrick3
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever anyone on my team hits a 140 when they get back from the line I tell them they shoulda gone for the 180..lol

Hatrick
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1 Team High Throw pot -- we used to do that nightly. It's just a fun way to compete as a team against each other.

25 cent cuss pot -- each time someone swears they have to put a quarter in the pot and all the funds are used for a team party at the end of the season.

25 cent 26 and below pot (or single digit pot) -- see above.

Just a few of the things that might add to the evenings fun.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on people...

We used to always shoot a few games for $1 or for drinks after league too...that was always a great time for the team.
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
    Come on people...

We used to always shoot a few games for $1 or for drinks after league too...that was always a great time for the team.

It's interesting how the after match playing has gone by the wayside. Around here the complaint from most people is that it takes too long for the league match to finish. Lower divisions run as late as 12 to 12:30. Even the upper divisions have most people leaving as early as they can - before the match is even completed. People don't seem to want to hang around to socialize even.
    The concensus is that this has to do with worrying about driving later at night when there isn't as much traffic and the cops may be lurking for anyone they can get. This level limit of .08 can't even be felt by most people so the fear of being nailed as drunk is really a buzz killer, the buzz being playing lots of darts after the match or being seen leaving a bar late at night.
    I've heard all the reasons for disputing this but the fact is that people are frightened to death of the outragous penalties that come from one DUI.

I've a question - to shorten the length of time for a match how would increasing the number of people who play in each game be? Why is Cricket and 501 limited to two people? In lower divisions where scores of 26 to 45 and 3 to 4 marks are the common place shots what difference would it make?
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with George and have always supported and championed short league nights -- SEWADL always tried to give the most games in a 2 hour window as we could be the key was 'two hours' so those who worked early could get a decent nights rest after darts.

TCDA the local team league also keeps to a shorter play window and we used to play money matches after league play was done almost every night. Heck, it was the after league matches that were the most fun I think!
    BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSilberzah wrote:

I've a question - to shorten the length of time for a match how would increasing the number of people who play in each game be? Why is Cricket and 501 limited to two people? In lower divisions where scores of 26 to 45 and 3 to 4 marks are the common place shots what difference would it make?

I hate team games because of the time lag between one person`s shots.

Also, I want to throw more darts if possible during the night.

Most places we play couldn`t accommodate my wish, but it would be to have more boards so that more matches could be played at once. More darts thrown in the same amount of time.

A lot of the late nights could be shortened by two things we have talked about lots - getting to the oche promptly and practicing so you throw better. That should translate to more fun as well.

BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSilberzah wrote:

It's interesting how the after match playing has gone by the wayside. Around here the complaint from most people is that it takes too long for the league match to finish. Lower divisions run as late as 12 to 12:30.

Because of the late nights, a lot of the fun I used to have was before the match. A few of us made a habit of arriving quite early and playing Cricket or 301 or just shooting at Bulls competitively. The same thing you were doing, but we did it when time did permit in our case which was before the match.

I never have cared for playing for money, I get no pleasure from that. It introduces several unwanted elements into the game for me. I play for the joy of throwing well, pure and simple, and I enjoy sharing that with other shooters.

Grey_Owl
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

You guys reminded me that I used to be one of those guys who loved staying back and playing an extra 90 minutes with my friends. We used to all do it.

Yes the drinking laws have sobered everyone up and it has made people too serious.

Seriousness is my problem. In the quest of becoming my very best I have forsaken the simplicity of playing for fun and for shits and giggles.

A player from another team approached me to play halver's and the first things that entered my brain were:

1) I just wanna go home
    2) I need to keep this persona of being an elite player on the opposing team so I need to keep a distance (persona ... God ... I am on my way of becoming unapproachable)
    3) Cant let em know that my darts SUCK from time to also ( I dont want them to realize that I can be beat or give them the pleasure of beating me)

I am embarrassed at myself. This is an opportunity to have some fun and get to know those other people *yes opponents -- better*.

When did I allow myself to get so serious?

Now about the original post .. I talked with my team mate and we going to implement some of those ideas and I am going to share the paperwork stats so I can inject more life in our team ... and in ME.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle. ~Author Unknown
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: