· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - A "rules" question.....
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

A "rules" question.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Vogar
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: A "rules" question..... Reply with quote

I'm not as familiar with the official rules as I should be, and thought I'd come here to find out. This is the situation:

I was at tournament this weekend and found myself chalking for two really good players. We'll call them Player A and Player B.

Player A steps to the line with 89 left. He throws and hits a T7 right in the corner. I can see out of the corner of my eye he's trying to see which triple it's actually in, so I look at him and he asks, "Is that in?" I responded.. "You have 21 scored... 68 left."

At that point Player B erupts saying I'm not allowed to tell him what he has left. I'm only allowed to tell him what he has scored. That what I did was tantamount to cheating... etc. etc. etc.

My question is.. is that true by the rules?

(I realize I couldn't tell him HOW to shoot the 68..... but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be allowed to inform him of what he has left.)
    dwalsh
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telling him what is left is ok...telling him how to take it out is not.Now some people will say you can't tell him what is left unless you are asked by the shooter to confirm that "68" is indeed what is left.
    2013 MMDL CRICKET GOLD CHAMPION
    2013 WORLD MASTERS PARTICIPANT HULL ENGLAND
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave is absolutely correct. Even on TV, you will see players asking what is left; we all go blank sometimes.

However, the thing that I would suggest is what I do in that situation. f they ask me "is it in?" or "what's that?" I tell them. I don't tell them what is left until they actually ask me "What do I have left?"

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    www.adodarts.com/browniesblog/index.php
    paddydub
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small point, you should never look around at a player...
    digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. Dart players are strange sometimes (well... most of the time =D )

If you're the chalker, all you have to do is answer the question, that's it. The player took your answer as questioning his abilities to add.
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Player B most likely had the rule confused between answering what is left vs. the number combination.

As per ADO rules

The chalker, if asked, may inform the thrower what he as
    scored and/or what he has left. He MAY NOT inform the
    thrower what he has left in terms of number combinations. It
    IS permissible for a partner, teammate, or a spectator to
    advise the thrower during the course of a Match.

As a chalker though , I only answer the question that is asked, if they asked what is scored, I'll answer that but I won't say what is left unless they ask.

And as a player I never EVER ask a chalker is that in ? I ask what is scored.
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick chalking tips.

1) Remember that YOU are the match referree so, if you don't know a ruling, like what should happen if one player says the other's foot is way over the line, then a tournament director should be called.

You may also be required to determine who is closer to the bullseye. You must do this by ONLY looking at the tips of each dart thrown and without touching them. If it's really tough to call, simply announce a rethrow.

2) The chalker should stand quietly looking at the board unless asked a question. There are a couple of exceptions however.

Exception 1 - When a dart clearly causes a bust, yet the player keeps throwing. I would announce "No score" to avoid any possible situation where the first dart subsequently falls out and the player expects the following darts to count (they DO NOT, the turn ended as soon as the chalker recognized the bust).

Exception 2 - When the winning dart has clearly been thrown it's ok to announce the win as long as you are sure.

Note that I specifically state "clearly" above. If you can't quite see what a dart has hit (or aren't completely sure what score causes a bust or a win), then wait until the turn is over or you are asked. Do not lean, look back or move.

3) During a turn, the chalker may only provide what has been scored and what total remains (for '01). They may not provide any coaching or suggestions.

4) If you make a math mistake, especially something big that adds or subtracts 100, I feel it's good sportsmanship to point it out to both players between turns. Correcting it then should not be an issue. That said, it IS the next player's responsibility to notice the mistake and ask for a correction. If it is not caught, the score is supposed to stand (and this IS the rule if it's pressed), however good sportsmanship should also be evidenced (and is also rule #1).

5) One last tip. Make sure that you're paying attention to the game and scoring. Just because a player thinks they have won doesn't mean they have. Two examples here. I've seen players walk up and take what was previously scored out and think the game is over (this is why there are techniques to how you write the numbers on the chalkboard - feel free to see my document about chalking in the Downloads area here). I've also seen someone close their final number in cricket and think the game is over even though they didn't notice that they were still behind in points. In either case, pay attention, because the player might walk up and pull their darts before throwing all three - ending their turn. As the chalker, you need to clearly state that the game is not over (and explain to the probably confused and irritated player why - usually they'll feel a bit stupid afterwards, but they usually understand - any that are really being unreasonable should talk to the tournament director).

Good luck and thanks for chalking!
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig B, those are words to live by for chalkers. Good post!
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigB wrote:
    2) The chalker should stand quietly looking at the board unless asked a question. There are a couple of exceptions however.

Exception 1 - When a dart clearly causes a bust, yet the player keeps throwing. I would announce "No score" to avoid any possible situation where the first dart subsequently falls out and the player expects the following darts to count (they DO NOT, the turn ended as soon as the chalker recognized the bust).

Exception 2 - When the winning dart has clearly been thrown it's ok to announce the win as long as you are sure.

Note that I specifically state "clearly" above. If you can't quite see what a dart has hit (or aren't completely sure what score causes a bust or a win), then wait until the turn is over or you are asked. Do not lean, look back or move.

That's it in a nutshell

However, when asked you can and should ALWAYS answer what the darts scored are in value and you MAY answer what is remaining if asked.

Ever watch the pro's on TV? The scorer tells them what they are shooting BEFORE they begin shooting if they are down to an outshot without even being asked.
    digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
    Ever watch the pro's on TV? The scorer tells them what they are shooting BEFORE they begin shooting if they are down to an outshot without even being asked.

that's more for the benefit of the audience
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: