· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - The future is here. Cloud darts.
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

The future is here. Cloud darts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    ducks
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: The future is here. Cloud darts. Reply with quote

First, thanks to Dartroom for his post about Medalist going belly up. It got me thinking.

I think Medalist in Taiwan has lost their share of the local soft tip market. The Medalist site in Taipei has been down for several months now, and Dartslive from Japan now has a local Taiwan website with links to all their other Asian sites. Both the website and their print media lists bars which used to have Medalist machines.

It looks like the Dartslive machines from Japan are now in many of the bars that had Medalist. The machines and the Dartslive online services blow Medalist away. The Dartslive machines can work with IC cards that you purchase and insert every time you play. The cards store information for every game you shoot. After you play a game in a pub, you can insert your card into a bar-top touch-screen machine and view the stats for the game you just played. You can also see your up to date rating and view the online services offered by Dartslive.

A pub near my place used to have 3 Medalist machines. Now it has 2 Dartslive machines. I don't know why it never occurred to me to ask the owner why he switched. On a related note, one bar with an Arachnid machine has replaced it with a Phoenix (Asian brand with player IC card support), and another bar with 2 Arachnids has replaced one with a Phoenix.

Are the American vendors losing their foothold in Asia? It looks like stand-alone machines have lost out to fully networked machines and IC card equipped players. The present and the future is about online services, and real time information management. Are we all going to plug in like Neo? If anyone is interested, the Singapore Dartslive site is in English and it explains what Dartslive is.
    ducks
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess I'll have to get a little schizophrenic and reply to my own post.

Wow, Ducks, you're right, the cloud concept is really, really cool! Let me tell you about my experience with Dartslive.

Went out the other night and threw on a Dartslive machine. I didn't know this, but Dartslive cards are a subscription membership card. My membership had run out, but the owner of the bar I went to added 90 days to by membership for free. Made me happy.

Inserted my card into the machine each time I played. Game data was immediately uploaded to the Dartslive network. I have just logged into the Dartslive site and viewed my Friday match results.

Full record of games played include opponent names, won-lost record and points per round for 01, and marks per round for cricket.
    My current rating is displayed, and there is a full listing of my "awards". This includes running totals of single bulls, double bulls, 5,6,7,8, 9 counts, low tons, hat tricks, 3 in a beds, high ton, white horse, ton80 and 3 in the black. Problem is, most of these say that I've hit them 0 times. What's the deal?

Best of all, everything is in English on my personal data pages. I don't know how or why, as I'm in Taiwan, the Dartslive homepage is in Chinese, and I don't remember choosing the display language.
    Grey_Owl
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Ducks.

You have the most amazing conversations with yourself.

Congrats on the SCOOP.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle. ~Author Unknown
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducks,

I agree this sound like the future, were just starting here in the US. Best I can find is a few machines in Central FL using a mix of Shelti/Radikal dartboard to do something simlar to Dartslive.

I believe the biggest challange soft tip faces in the US is the fact you have to pay for something you can get for free in most bar.

Without a doubt the stat keeping and the contests has a lot of appeal. The ability to play worldwide without leaving you neighborhood /or home in some cases would appeal to me as well.

thanks for sharing
    Vogar
    Private

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play here in Central Florida on those Shelti/Radikal boards. While they are VERY nice and the idea is great, there are problems.

#1. Often when I'm playing, say 10pm-1am EST, it's in the middle of the night in Europe and early morning in Asia. There simply aren't that many people logged in looking for games.

#2. One night there did happen to be a guy on who wanted to play. (He was in Spain.) So I decided to play, and he was not very good. (that's being polite). I kept thrashing him and his name would pop up every time I looked for another opponent. He kept wanting to play, so fair play to him, but spending a $1 to throw 5 or 6 rounds against a completely over-matched opponent isn't my idea of practice.
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These types of machines could help in the battle against sandbagging, unless a dedicated sandbagger wants to pay for multiple memberships to have multiple cards.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Boddington_Paul
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the truth is everything is going to the cloud! you cannot get away from it if your life depended on it.
    Everything that we do now is online, medical, financial, military and even law enforcement! It was just a matter of time before electronics followed.
    Before you know it (sad to say) in the soft tip world, your dart league will consist of 2 players in US 2 in China and one in russia cause his job coordinates the time he can play with your team and you will play against 1 from Australia, 3 from Taiwan and one from England because he bought an electronic board and he has it in his house! and webcamming and chatting or actual voice communication will put you to talk with your team or with the opponent.
    Would not be that far behind.
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this discussion with my wife, I was all high on having one of these home Radikal darts setups and playing opponents from all over the world. She looked at me and said how sad if it replaced going out and (interacting with people).
    She's right, however if set these up locally I coudl see the benefits. You could play in a league and never have to travel. LOD's, large turn-outs not a problem.
    In a perfect world this would only add to the sport (with tons of new opportunities) and open avenues for more players (younger players not allowed in bars...) however not take away from the things that make our sport great.
    scabmachine
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Shelti/radikal boards are awesome unfortunately you will not be able to buy one for personal use in the united states with online capabilities ..the info i got came directly from shelti ,i also asked about the radikal home board & it will not have online capabilities either ..
    i was very disappointed ...
    Boddington_Paul
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scabmachine wrote:
    the Shelti/radikal boards are awesome unfortunately you will not be able to buy one for personal use in the united states with online capabilities ..the info i got came directly from shelti ,i also asked about the radikal home board & it will not have online capabilities either ..
    i was very disappointed ...

That can change eventually unless they don't want to do it untill a US manufacturer can come up that can be purchased in the US.
    ducks
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how people on this thread are talking about remote games played at home against international opponents. I don't see this type of scenario as financial attractive to darts machine manufacturers and promoters. And certainly, the electronic darts people in Taiwan are not promoting this type of play.

In Taiwan, with the Dartslive and Phoenix networked boards, pub league , vendor sponsored shoots, and pub recreational play is THE focus of the marketing efforts here. Monthly Count-up standings of local players is a featured section of the local websites, yet all those scores are tallied at pubs, not on home boards. There is no push to sell networked machines for home use. The darts people are pushing darts in pubs and promoting big money competitions. The Dartlive shoots in Hong Kong the last couple of months is one example.

Electronic darts as a fun, mixed-sex, PUB based recreational activity is what is being heavily promoted here. Young, hip and attractive men and women going out and playing darts in cool bars is a core concept of the marketing here.

The concept of someone spending hour and hour, day after day pounding on a board at home is almost unheard of here. I often tell new players about spending hours practicing on a board (steel) and they just cannot fathom it. Here, most of the young darts players play in pubs on electronic boards or not at all.

Cloud darts for data management? Yes. But remote play as the future of darts? I don't think so. BORING! Unless of course you are stationed at one of the science outposts in Antarctica over the winter. Some quick google searches will turn up posts about darts played over the radio and Internet in Antarctica. They HAVE TO play darts remotely during the Antarctic winter. As for the rest of us, GET A LIFE! Get out and play!
    scabmachine
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUCKS-
    i completely understand what your saying ,it does sound boring because i have currently have 3 boards in my garage (2 Valley Cougars & 1 Arachnid Galaxy) & never use them unless i have people over .. i have underground garage tourneys in my here every saturday & usually host 8-10 teams sometimes more ,its complete fun & a lot cheaper then going to a bar & there is no last call .

with that said i still think it would be great to have an online capable board to play against players around the world .. i have been trying to set up my steel tip board to play DartProLeague but that seems like its not going to work out so great since most of the players on there are from other countries & the time difference is to great ,im hoping more players from the USA start signing up .

So ,with that said you are right.
    fotoman
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention dartproleague.com as well, but the timezone issues are a BIG problem, esp with most of the players based in the UK.

I was one of the original members (#Cool and was kicked off due to the fact that the powers that be thought it was too difficult to schedule games with me (so much for playing matches at 0700 for me!!!). Being 8 hours away from most of the players was tough, esp with the non-publishing of the schedules more than 1 week before it's required to be played. The guys who are running the league (just over 1 year old BTW), kind of seem to think that the online league is the only thing people participate in and really have a shortsided "local" viewpoint on things when it's a truly world wide organization. I've played players in the UK, Canada, Wales, Netherlands, Scotland, Spain, Croatia, and Saudia Arabia, and I think that's AWESOME.

There sees to be more and more North American based players and I even tried to get a North American division/league going on the site, but I was shot down Sad There might be more players on there now that would be interested in restarting that.

BTW, I was also the original 'stream your match live' person as well, but then 1 person complained (he lost to me...) and it became an official rule that you cannot do that anymore. Interesting how they now encourage live streaming again...
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: