· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Etiquette question?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Etiquette question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    TheBigfella
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Etiquette question? Reply with quote

I have been playing darts competitively (steel and soft tip) for almost 22 years now, and I had something come up last night that I have never heard mentioned before. In out steel tip match last night, a player from the opponent's team (that happens to be the A-league Division Rep) brought this up: According to our league's "Etiquette Suggestions for Gentleman's Darts" or some sheet that has been in the league Captain's Packet, it says that after a player hits an out shot to end a leg, he should immediately turn and shake hands with the opponents, BEFORE removing the winning dart from the board.
    This division rep player went on to say that he gets phone calls about this "breach of etiquette rules" all the time, but declined to say if it was specific to me or my team or just in general. This was brought up, of course, after we had just blitzed them in a doubles cricket leg.
    I have never heard that even mentioned as an etiquette issue - has anyone else heard that?
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if my opponent shakes my hand before or after pulling their darts. That said, I expect that I will get a handshake from them before anyone else gets one. I've had it happen more than once, including last season in playoffs. The guy hit the dart, ran over and high fived his whole team..then made a big show of saying "OH YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, I GUESS I SHOULD SHAKE YOUR HAND TOO". I said nothing, having had my hand out for the handshake all the time. Absolutely rude, I figure you might as well just spit on my shoes.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me, it seems more poor sport on your opponents side than yours. It makes no difference when you shake one's hand, before or after pulling your dart. I myself shake hands before, but not because it's a rule, just force of habit.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly I always pull my darts first. I guess much like Chi its a force of habit. I don't like seeing darts beating me lol. So I figure my opponent would not either. I have a partner/friend that always turns and shakes hands immediately after throwing his winning dart. I find that odd LOL. I guess its what you're used to / or what makes sense in the situation. I have seen both in the PDC. I figure as long as there is an acknowledgement of the win before or after throwing the winning that it would fall into the gentleman conduct.
    I don't agree with the gloating win and high fives before. But then again I wouldn't agree with it after either.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO widely spread rule of etiquette that says you must shake hands before pulling your darts. As with many of the more common-sense areas of any competition, those who show good sportsmanship will acknowledge their opponent in some fashion.

Actually, one exception to the rule mentioned would be if the winning dart looks like it might fall out - we've all seen PDC players run up occasionally to grab their darts first.

IMO, you should have as few rules as possible so that more of those competing will know them. Traditions (like removing your hat and shaking hands at the conclusion of a round of golf) and good sportsmanship issues in general shouldn't have to become rules.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different areas.

I grew up in BC, I played in all sorts of places over the years later and I'm unsure where I picked it up, but I used to finish that way and considered it the right way.

When I moved to the Tri-Cities and continued this 'tradition' of turning and presenting my hand after a winning shot I was called arrogant and rude. Etiquette is a funny thing in that respect:

In one place it is considered rude to NOT turn and offer to shake your opponents hand. The thinking is that he/she should not have to stand there and wait for you to go and retrieve your darts.

On the other hand, here and I'm guessing elsewhere, it is the opposite.

I think it is the leagues responsibility to educate their members whenever someone new comes along and to explain them that the new player having come from a different region, might have different traditions and etiquette rules.

Just my 2c
    mongoose
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooo what if you shoot, turn and shake opponents hand and then the dart falls out before you can reach the board. Do you reshoot?

tweetage http://www.twitter.com/fivebucksabag
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongoose wrote:
    sooo what if you shoot, turn and shake opponents hand and then the dart falls out before you can reach the board. Do you reshoot?

No. The amount of time it takes to turn and shake hands and turn back is more then enough to call the game.

Of course, you could just throw your darts harder so they don't fall out Twisted Evil
    ae37
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongoose wrote:

The moment the dart enters the winning double, the match is over.

ADO rule book:
    41. A Leg/Match is concluded at such time as a player/team hits
    the ‘double’ required to reduce their remaining score to zero,
    unless otherwise stated by the local Tournament Organizers.
    All darts thrown subsequently will not count for score.

DPNY-Dart Players New York
    Tournament Director
    dartplayersnewyork.com
    kirby
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked that same question when I first started playing back in the 70's and a kindly gentleman named Ernie Whitenack explained to me that, once you hit that winner, immediatley turn and shake hands with the opponent(s) so that you can retrieve your darts and raise hell.. Laughing He also said many a player that had a shady background would run to the board and grab his darts before shaking hands.. Rolling Eyes By shaking hands first, your opponent will see the winning shot without question..Now I have seen people run to that board thinking that they had won when they have not and come back looking to shake hands and trouble insued..Shake hands first and retrieve your darts... Wink
    RIP Mom, Love ya forever!!
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to walk to the board and pull my darts first. This gives me a moment to calm myself. I think it is rude to shreek "YEA! I hit it!" and then shake hands while you are still gloating. My habbit is to pull my darts and then walk to the oche and thank my opponents for a good game and then I always thank the chalker.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    bsee
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a shake first guy. I feel like it is impolite to make the opponent stand there while I walk to the board and back. Of course, it doesn't matter to me what the other guy does if he wins. When we win a team game, there will be some hand shaking going on while the person who threw last is pulling darts, but that seems fine under the circumstances. It shouldn't matter either way, and anyone who gets bent out of shape because a handshake wasn't offered at the exact right time needs to loosen up.

My team won our championship last season and they were all jumping up and down and high-fiving after the final double was hit. Meanwhile, I was congratulating our opponents on a great season and a good match.

-bob
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsee wrote:
    I've always been a shake first guy. I feel like it is impolite to make the opponent stand there while I walk to the board and back. Of course, it doesn't matter to me what the other guy does if he wins. When we win a team game, there will be some hand shaking going on while the person who threw last is pulling darts, but that seems fine under the circumstances. It shouldn't matter either way, and anyone who gets bent out of shape because a handshake wasn't offered at the exact right time needs to loosen up.

My team won our championship last season and they were all jumping up and down and high-fiving after the final double was hit. Meanwhile, I was congratulating our opponents on a great season and a good match.

-bob

Good sportsmanship there! I try to shake hands before retrieving the winning dart, and say something kind to my opponent. I also try to say something kind and respectful when congratulating my opponent when they hit the winner... Not so much about the rules, and more about trying to make sure the game was enjoyable for everyone.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Jacob
    Private

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In New Zealand's rules, the caller calls the match & only the caller, it doesnt matter if the opponent pays attention or not, if the call of shot was correct then that is that.

That said you must remove your dart before shaking hands.

It is impolite to make your opponent look at the dart that beat them for longer than is necessary. You seem smug etc, basically a poor sport.

If your having a friendly with mates then do what you like. But in leagues & tournaments ou will find it is the officials call that matters and not what your opponent sees or doesnt. So retrieve your darts & THEN shake hands!

You never see a pro shake before retreiving his darts, so don't do it!

But..... I actually dont care, im someone who says back to that funny guy the exact same thing he always says when he hits the double, someone who'll leave that dart to shake your hand when its what you do.

There are rules in darts. And then there is proper behaviour.
    They are rules for a reason, but behavioural guidelines are not rules for a reason!
    It sounds like the original post insinuated that it is a league rule & not just "proper behaviour", check it out for yourself, get those rules & read em, then your fully prepared!!

P.Out

Jacob Wadsworth @ Game Shot! Darts Supplies. Nelson, New Zealand. Like us on facebook. www.gameshotdarts.co.nz
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob wrote:
    In New Zealand's rules, the caller calls the match & only the caller, it doesnt matter if the opponent pays attention or not, if the call of shot was correct then that is that.

It is impolite to make your opponent look at the dart that beat them for longer than is necessary. You seem smug etc, basically a poor sport.

If your having a friendly with mates then do what you like. But in leagues & tournaments ou will find it is the officials call that matters and not what your opponent sees or doesnt. So retrieve your darts & THEN shake hands!

But..... I actually dont care, im someone who says back to that funny guy the exact same thing he always says when he hits the double, someone who'll leave that dart to shake your hand when its what you do.

They are rules for a reason, but behavioural guidelines are not rules for a reason!
    It sounds like the original post insinuated that it is a league rule & not just "proper behaviour", check it out for yourself, get those rules & read em, then your fully prepared!!

P.Out

Not to differ with you Jacob, but I find here in the MMDL, there is no preferred way of what to do when shaking hands. I choose to shake hands before pulling my darts, to avoid any controversy on whether I hit the correct dart or not. To view one leaving their darts in the board as unsportsmanlike like is in my opinion, just the opposite. You are giving your opponent the option to satisfy themselves, that the proper dart was hit. I guess it's a case of two different worlds.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    ppv
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob wrote:

Go on YouTube and watch some of the professional matches from Europe. The majority of them shake hands before pulling their darts.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some do, some don't.

It is NOT a hard and fast rule in darts.

When playing in parts of the USA and Canada it is very common. In other parts it is not.

And sometimes it's downright silly.

For example: when playing best of 7 legs of 501.

When you finish a leg you go get your darts so the next one can begin. You do not waste time and interrupt the play to shake someones hand! LOL

But it's all about WHERE you are -- it's a regional thing and it even changes from year to year in places.....
    JDNY
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I 1st started playing darts competitively back in the 90's I was at a tournament where a guy hit the winning dart, turned around to shake hands and the winning dart fell out of the bullseye (playing cricket). The game continued, and that team won on the very next round anyway. But ever since then I ALWAYS grab my darts 1st then do the customary hand fist bump thing. I have never heard of it being a rule that you have to shake hands 1st. Kind of nit picking if you ask me. Has ZERO bearing on the actual game itself.
    Jacob
    Private

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob wrote:

P.Out

Jacob Wadsworth @ Game Shot! Darts Supplies. Nelson, New Zealand. Like us on facebook. www.gameshotdarts.co.nz
    Jacob
    Private

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the benefit of those who failed to reconnect to the thread, I do have some knowledge of how things are elsewhere, just stated how they are here.

I did blather a bit (apologies) but attempted to break from opinion & get back to the original post "was it a rule?" & "check your rules, read them & know them"

The odd pro will not retrieve before shaking, but if Phil & Barney don't do it, I'm not doin it (due to how things are here). He is seen as the epitomy of good sportsmanship in darts worldwide, because he is a flamin gentleman! (and as with others here I know people who've met them to vouch for it in reality & not just sportsmanship onscreen).

I did mention I'm pretty carefree & relaxed lol, darts is a great sport for just goin with the flow!

But back to the thread, was it a rule?

If so follow, if not then whatever.

I've never seen a set of darts rules where your opponent calls shot, tis all on the caller/chalker.

Anyone know any different? Happy to hear about it Smile

Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob wrote:
    Just for the benefit of those who failed to reconnect to the thread, I do have some knowledge of how things are elsewhere, just stated how they are here.

I did blather a bit (apologies) but attempted to break from opinion & get back to the original post "was it a rule?" & "check your rules, read them & know them"

The odd pro will not retrieve before shaking, but if Phil & Barney don't do it, I'm not doin it (due to how things are here). He is seen as the epitomy of good sportsmanship in darts worldwide, because he is a flamin gentleman! (and as with others here I know people who've met them to vouch for it in reality & not just sportsmanship onscreen).

I did mention I'm pretty carefree & relaxed lol, darts is a great sport for just goin with the flow!

But back to the thread, was it a rule?

If so follow, if not then whatever.

I've never seen a set of darts rules where your opponent calls shot, tis all on the caller/chalker.

Anyone know any different? Happy to hear about it Smile

I completely agree if you have a chalker / caller during you game, but there are times when you don't. It's the times when you don't have a chalker / caller that you want to make sure your opponent sees that you really have hit the winning shot. Most of those times I do it with a handshake rather than call "Game Shot" myself.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Jacob
    Private

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep social is as social does, haha, or so I started sayin a while back.

Y'all knew I meant the serious stuff.

Gotts-ta make sure they see it when there's no chalker!

By-the-by, man I'm loving the game atm. Win or Lose!
    I suppose thats how we're meant to feel about it though!!!! Very Happy

Mervyn
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppv wrote:
    Jacob wrote:

Go on YouTube and watch some of the professional matches from Europe. The majority of them shake hands before pulling their darts.

I think they generally only do that if it's the end of the winning leg, for each leg one, they grab their dart, and the next player to throw takess the oche.

I'd have to see the rule from the op , but first thing that comes to mind is that is is a "suggestion" and not a rule and not to worry about any disciplinary action as a result.

And it's kind of silly to have to do that after every single leg, if's it's the deciding leg of the match, and the chalker has indicated its a winning shot, sure shake hands.
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the pro level matches I've seen on TV, there is rarely appears to be hand shake or any interaction between players at the completion of a leg. They seem to get right back to the oche and back to business, but I did see Barney give a little fist bump to A. Lewis after he completed a 9-darter. After a match winning shot I've almost always seen a handshake/embrace before the winning dart is pulled.

I generally always offer a handshake before I pull my darts. I figure it gives my opponent the chance to verify that the winning darts were indeed thrown.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: