· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Is Dart-itis Contagious?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Is Dart-itis Contagious?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    overlord
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Is Dart-itis Contagious? Reply with quote

I personally believe dart-itis is a mental thing. One wants to improve so badly they want to throw the perfect dart every time, and at some point in there throw they realize, "oh that's not it" and they stop their throw.
    I've seen people have Dart-itis before and they have it for a couple of years and then they either quit or come out of it, oddly enough when they come out of it they are usually a better shooter. But in NH I've only seen, in our 500+ members, one maybe two people have it at a time.
    Well...in one location, about 50 people, one guy has just gotten over dart-itis of just over two years, and he is definitely throwing the best darts of his life. Great right, well now I am seeing signs of dart-itis in three other people. All three have the hitch about 1 in five darts. They're all a few months away from being totally engulfed. Is dart-itis contagious or did these others say, "well it worked for the first guy, maybe I should try it"
    As I've mentioned people either quit or improve after having dart-itis, so should I be happy there are three more getting it, or scared they might quit?
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dart-itis Contagious? Reply with quote

overlord wrote:
    I personally believe dart-itis is a mental thing. One wants to improve so badly they want to throw the perfect dart every time, and at some point in there throw they realize, "oh that's not it" and they stop their throw.
    I've seen people have Dart-itis before and they have it for a couple of years and then they either quit or come out of it, oddly enough when they come out of it they are usually a better shooter. But in NH I've only seen, in our 500+ members, one maybe two people have it at a time.
    Well...in one location, about 50 people, one guy has just gotten over dart-itis of just over two years, and he is definitely throwing the best darts of his life. Great right, well now I am seeing signs of dart-itis in three other people. All three have the hitch about 1 in five darts. They're all a few months away from being totally engulfed. Is dart-itis contagious or did these others say, "well it worked for the first guy, maybe I should try it"
    As I've mentioned people either quit or improve after having dart-itis, so should I be happy there are three more getting it, or scared they might quit?

I do not believe that someone can 'catch' this affliction but I do very much believe in the power of suggestion. That's one reason I stay away from mentiioning the many things which Flight Schoolers talk about with me, in private. When some problem gets widely noticed there are those who will 'discover' they have it also. Psychobabble can have disasterous affects.

I know of at least three who have 'recovered' from this, and a number who have, maybe, been headed off from this, through things we've discussed in Flight School.
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    cannibal
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think unfortunately that most people who get it quit after struggling with trying to fix it. Funny thing about it the more you "try" to fix it the worse it gets, at least in my experience with it. This leads to massive frustration as people often like to think that if I just work on it or practice I should be rewarded with improvement. Well in reality that is not the case all the time and probably never to rare in the case of dartist.

Personally I don't think there is just one cure for this, due to the fact that in most cases it is psychological. Given that everyone is different, everyone needs to find their own way out of it. I tried all kinds of different things over the span of a year. I didn't just wake up one morning and snap out of it, it takes months and patience.
    GT
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've suffered dartitis a lot, but for me, it was the darts. it took me a long time to figure it out. I have very slick hands and need a lot of grip. It has taken me quite a few years and many sets of darts to find a grip that won't slip around in my fingers during the throw. Now that I'm throwing shark grip darts, my game seems to be stabilizing much better and my consistency is finally coming around. Before I nailed down the problem, I changed around my mechanics too much and lost all sense of rhythm, but I seem to be on the right track now, knock on Bobcat's head.

I still get the yips occasionally (more than I like, really), but the difference now is I seem to be able to work my way back to form more easily by focusing more, whereas before, the more I tried to focus, the worse it seemed to get.

I hope I am not jinxing myself now.

Minute Man Dart League, Inc.
    World's Largest Steel Tip League
    http://www.mmdl.org

DartConnect
    Most Advanced Scoring & Stats Platform for Steel Tip
    http://www.dartconnect.com
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contagious like syphillis Embarassed

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    barjo
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from experience, Larry? Razz Razz Razz Razz

I agree with those above, it is purely mental and that the power of suggestion can have disastrous results. If you think you have dartitis, then even if you don't, you soon will. Knock it off!

Over the years (especially after joining SEWA) my game has improved a lot. But periodically I get the "whoops" and it can be utterly frustrating. The solution, I've found, lies in two things.

1) SLOW down. This was in someone else's post where they said that John Part told them to "slow down" when they were having problems. It works. It works because one can then figure out what is really ailing their throw, whether it be the dart, their grip, the flights, whatever. Too often we go for what we think is the problem when it really isn't.

2) Watch others who throw correctly. I watch PDC all the time, and even older videos. John Lowe has a marvelous throw, but it's different from RVB, Phil Taylor, Gary Anderson et al. The one thing they have in common is that the follow through. I don't mean that one should copy any one player's throw or grip, but notice how they ALL follow through. If they can do it, so can we.

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but learning how to follow through is crucial to being a good darter. Sometimes watching a video helps the brain to emulate the motion.

But forget dartitis, it is definitely in the head.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    cannibal
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very careful thinking that dartitis is purely or solely a mental thing. It is possible for it to stem from a physical problem for various reasons, for e.g. bursitis and repetitive motion injuries. Symptoms are things such as numbing in fingers or joints, muscle fatigue or soreness anywhere in the arm to shoulder. So in this case of course any remedy has to deal with the physical ailment in conjunction with the head.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: