· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - What do yous think of this....
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

What do yous think of this....
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    paddydub
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: What do yous think of this.... Reply with quote

Hi all,
    I was playing the other night and was waiting on 122 my opponent was on 200 & something, it was my shot so i went at 18s, hit a treble first dart, second dart was single close to the trip, i had to check it, i stepped backed to aim at the fat 18 when my opponent stepped out from behind me and walked in front of me to check my second dart, turned around and told me it was a single,i was pissed to say the least but held my tongue an proceeded to hit the fat 18 to set up 32.
    My question, what do yous think of this ??????
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woulda corked out and really given it to him!

But seriously..I had a scorer who did that before without being asked as I was going forward with my last dart. I ended up turning my wrist instinctively so I didn't hit him and busted. I walked up and politely said "can you please not lean or move in unless I ask for a score check?" and he told me to F... off and he would take me outside. Nice..

I would do the same thing, ask him once not to move. If he gives attitude or does it again..I know in my league you have the option to request a new chalker which I would do immediately.

You handled it well though Paddy..good work.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    LaujThoj
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar situation before where I apparently had 60 left but the chalker wrote 50. My opponent was well aware of this but felt it didn't matter since he and his partner was still in the 200s. I hit a T10 and as I reset for the D10 he tapped my shoulder to tell me I really had 60 left but since I already shot and they don't have an out yet it doesn't matter. I wanted to break his glasses while he was still wearing it but I just continued and won. People will pull these tricks on ya but unfortunately its apart of the game. It shouldn't be but its happened enough that it is.
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it we are not talking about chalkers but an opponent who walked from behind the line in the middle of your turn and as you were getting ready to throw your third dart, walked to the board, after you had already checked your darts, and told you what you had hit.

Extremely inappropriate. I would have looked at him like he was crazy and probably asked him as politely as I could have, to please not walk in front of the line while I am shooting. He can always veryfy my score after the turn. Or if he likes, he could just stand by the board and score for me on my turn. Walking in front just really is not an option.

(Actually, I might have let it go one time. I would probably say something about it to him later. If it continued, I would have to say something.)

I have never had anyone, NEVER, in all the years I have been shooting, so something like that. Very strange! I think you did well to hold your tongue even though it was probably more from shock than anything else. I would certainly be very surprised were someone to step from behind me and check out my darts. Absolutely weird!

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    Grey_Owl
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to me once also.

However in my case I laughed out loud and asked "Hey what are you doin? I nearly harpooned you."

He was an enthusiastic newbie who didnt know the proper behavior I simply explained after match the proper protocol about other things including when he marks the board as I emphasized his personal safety.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle. ~Author Unknown
    RP_BILL
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepping in front of you as you are about to shoot, for any reason, in uncalled for. I would have been upset. Depending on the other player's experience, and the likelihood of whether or not they were "truly" ignorant in knowing of the rule to respect the playing area, or if it was an "intentional" kind of thing, I would have laced into him accordingly. If it were a newbie, or such, I might have simply issued a reminder of the rules and common courtesy. However, if it was someone who obviously should have known better, they would have gotten an earful. I agree that you did show a great amount of restraint, but I feel you would have been justfied if you were to give your opponent a good piece of your mind. When you are at the oche, the playing area is yours, and no one has a right, player, chalker, or otherwise, to distract you or enter the playing area without your request.
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I think of it?

I think you should have thrown double bull last dart!!
    BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd better start with a profuse and sincere apology to PaddyDub - sorry, truly, PD - as I read it from your side I can see it was completely out of line. It won't happen again. I am very embarrassed now that I realize what I did.

Yes, it was me. It really was bad now that I reflect on it.

I will offer my side, not that it makes anything right, just to let you all know what can go thru a player's head, okay, my head.

Far too often, I don't think things thru quickly enough, and I was trying to be helpful. My knee jerk reaction was that PD couldn't really tell where the dart was, the boards were bad and the lighting too, and I was trying to ascertain the score for him so he wouldn't have to leave the line and his stance.

This new place we started playing the Singles League in is very crowded and I was standing only a step behind and beside PD as it was. I didn't have anywhere else to go. So it was only a quick coupla steps to see the dart. I thought I did it pretty quickly.

I certainly didn't mean to disrupt PD and I certainly wasn't playing any mind games.

Again, I offer my sincere apology to you, PD, and your first beer next week is on me, if you'll take it. I wish you would have told me soon after I did that, so you could know I didn't mean any harm, I would have apologized on the spot. Sometimes good intentions aren't carried out well at all, and this is one of those cases. I can be a real bonehead at times. I haven't been doing well with mental issues lately and it looks like this is one of the worst examples of that.

I feel I should apologize also to my SEWA mates - I haven't represented us well in this case at all.

(PD beat me 6-5 in the match, and only my best shot of the night, a 153 checkout in the last game, stopped it from being 7-4. PD is a terrific shot and I was happy to lose by only a narrow margin. He knocked me out of the playoffs last year, 3-0. I have huge admiration for him as a player. He hit two 180s in our match and a bunch of tons and ton40s).

dayjobdave
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackhorse thanks for chiming in here. I think your apology is appropriate, and more importantly, you make the point that there is always 2 sides to a story, and most of the time, an error is just that, an error.

What I try to do when something like this (a moving chalker, an inappropriate comment, a score error etc) happens is to mention to the other player that it doesn't really bother me, but that it would bother "some" people so they should try not to do that.

I never accuse someone of having an ulterior motive, because 9 out of 10 times they don't, and the one other time, I just file it away and use it at the board.

We all can remind ourselves sometimes that everyone's there for the love of the game, and not to assume that everyone wants to win at all costs.
    paddydub
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackHorse wrote:
    I'd better start with a profuse and sincere apology to PaddyDub - sorry, truly, PD - as I read it from your side I can see it was completely out of line. It won't happen again. I am very embarrassed now that I realize what I did.

Yes, it was me. It really was bad now that I reflect on it.

I will offer my side, not that it makes anything right, just to let you all know what can go thru a player's head, okay, my head.

Far too often, I don't think things thru quickly enough, and I was trying to be helpful. My knee jerk reaction was that PD couldn't really tell where the dart was, the boards were bad and the lighting too, and I was trying to ascertain the score for him so he wouldn't have to leave the line and his stance.

This new place we started playing the Singles League in is very crowded and I was standing only a step behind and beside PD as it was. I didn't have anywhere else to go. So it was only a quick coupla steps to see the dart. I thought I did it pretty quickly.

I certainly didn't mean to disrupt PD and I certainly wasn't playing any mind games.

Again, I offer my sincere apology to you, PD, and your first beer next week is on me, if you'll take it. I wish you would have told me soon after I did that, so you could know I didn't mean any harm, I would have apologized on the spot. Sometimes good intentions aren't carried out well at all, and this is one of those cases. I can be a real bonehead at times. I haven't been doing well with mental issues lately and it looks like this is one of the worst examples of that.

I feel I should apologize also to my SEWA mates - I haven't represented us well in this case at all.

(PD beat me 6-5 in the match, and only my best shot of the night, a 153 checkout in the last game, stopped it from being 7-4. PD is a terrific shot and I was happy to lose by only a narrow margin. He knocked me out of the playoffs last year, 3-0. I have huge admiration for him as a player. He hit two 180s in our match and a bunch of tons and ton40s).

Apology accepted BH, no hard feelings mate, we all live and learn....
    paddydub
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davin wrote:
    What do I think of it?

With my opponent sitting on 200& something, ill disregard your thought, thanks....
    barjo
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that using your spurs tends to make the other shooter behave.
    BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling like I need to do a bit of image-damage-control here, so I'd like to tell something that happened in the match previous to the one with Paddydub.

My opponent had 38 left in one game, then hit a S19 with the first dart, S17 with the second.

Having a little brain fart or whatever - I have far too many of these myself - the player went to the board and pulled the darts, not changing the score on the chalkboard (there was no chalker in this match either) and walking back to the line, apparently thinking it was a bust.

I told my opponent nicely, "you still have one dart left, and you still have 2 left after the 17."

I let the player shoot at the D1 for the win, without any further conversation at all.

The Rules would say the round was over when the darts were touched, and a score of 2 was left. I am certain I would not have gotten an argument from the seasoned shooter had I said that should be the situation. But the match is friendly in my thinking and this is supposed to be for our entertainment. Yes, it's a money league, but that is a distant second in my thoughts.

The D1 was missed and I checked out the game in my next round.

Hopefully that is a very recent example to you all of how I view the game and how my thoughts work, on both sides of that night.

(but I do still know I was wrong to cross the oche in the match with Paddydub. Embarassed )

CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if anyone does that then they should buy me a beer!

(So Blackie owes me a beer now. Hey, I didn't say it had to be done against me! Twisted Evil )
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I don't think BH's intent was to distract his opponent, but to offer his help.
    With that said, BH has apologized and it was excepted, which is good of paddy to do. BH knows he made a mistake, and now knows he should have just let his opponent go ahead and shoot, without interference. It was a mistake on his part, and has admitted to it.

I know when I play, the only time I offer any help to my opponent, is if I am asked after the fact, if I thought he, or she did the right thing, or if he or she asks me before taking their turn. This way, I can never be accused of trying to play mind games, or anything else that may come to the opponents thoughts.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound advice frank
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddydub wrote:
    Davin wrote:
    What do I think of it?

With my opponent sitting on 200& something, ill disregard your thought, thanks....

You will never hit, what you don't even try to...
    paddydub
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Davin"]
    paddydub wrote:
    Davin wrote:
    What do I think of it?

You will never hit, what you don't even try to...

And when i do, im usually not too far off......
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be about it then!
    paddydub
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Davin"]be about it then!

Anytime .....
    podge
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me if Blackhorse has been playing darts for some time he should have known moving in front of the shooter just aint on!!

I wonder if he only apologized because the infraction was posted here?
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Podgey, Blackie is a good fella. He just like many of us do things in haste. All I know its a way to earn a pint from Blackie. i would encourage him to distract more LOL.
    Jacob
    Private

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He apologised, its a great step farther than most players will take. Even when they are just acting in good spirit!

And he was just trying to help out someone he believed was in need of it.

We all know how hard it is to see where the buggers go in a dimly lit room!!

Most annoying thing for me = accidentally dropping a dart when the opponent is throwing. I have never ever done it on purpose, but I always apologise for it happening, I feel so bad when I do it. Not that anyone on here plays anywhere near me to see this, but I do hope they know its accidental Shocked

Oh & btw : What out you choose to shoot is up to you, I never shoot at bull even with one dart unless the opponents score is 40,32 or 16!!

Peace Out SEWA & Well done keeping it real out there!!

Jacob Wadsworth @ Game Shot! Darts Supplies. Nelson, New Zealand. Like us on facebook. www.gameshotdarts.co.nz
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Jacob,

I know Greg (BH) and he's a heck of a nice guy so when I read down to where he apologized I was surprised! I was going to be mad at whomever did this and then when he posted I realized that I was being rash, that a new and enthusiastic player might do something like this -- though I'd want to smack him for it! lol

In the end it's hard sometimes to remember that not everyone learned to play the way we did and as such we have to try to understand their actions even when they seem totally out of place.

Welcome to the site by the way. Smile Two of our good friends live in NZ (moved back to farm recently) and we miss them much!
    Jacob
    Private

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Erik, hope I can add some value somewhere to this great forum.

Whilst I'm glad that this isn't facebook, I do wish there was a "like" button for some of the past posts I'm reading. There are quality opinions & points of view out there & usually on all sides of the ledger, a pity it is that it would be more than slightly annoying to bump 2-3 year old posts just to say so! Laughing

Very much so enjoying this forum & if your friends are dart players I shall hope to no doubt meet them in the future somewhere!

Jacob Wadsworth @ Game Shot! Darts Supplies. Nelson, New Zealand. Like us on facebook. www.gameshotdarts.co.nz
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: