· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - All the practice you need to do is shoot at the T20
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

All the practice you need to do is shoot at the T20
    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Agent5432
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it's true, that if you only throw at the t-20, that you will be just as consistant on any other number. It's not the doubles you need to practice so much as your outs. The outs are all about keeping rhythm. Changing from one number to the next without breaking rhythm. Let's say you have 86 left, you throw at t-18, miss and hit t-4...now what? Do you sit there and calculate, or do you throw your next dart(s) not breaking rhythm knowing you have 74 left?

Back when I was playing a lot. I noticed that while the soft tip player out numbered the steel tip players, but the steel tip player were better. I think one reason for this is the steel tip players know what the score is in their heads and don't break rhythm waiting for a machine to tell them whats left.
    6 Darter Me
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i reckon your best to practice at where your having say any difficulty
    be it scoring , doubles , also trebles ..

I always went for say 2/3 Bullseyes , then round board from treble 10
    to treble 20 then finish on Bullseye again , then id go and throw at scores
    for a time ..later id go back up to room and throw for bull then around
    all my doubles as its important more so with dbles as they win you games

As for scores on treble 20s thats all good but no use if you cant finish

and also i reckon its good to practice trebles for bigger finishes
    and ive finished on so many ton - plus outshots and nothing better Smile

But as for being told only practice treble 20s for scoring and nothing else
    i reckon thats rubbish and i certainly would not listen to anybody regards such a nonesense , a dartboard has all these other Segments around from
    1 to 20 and you need to be able to play around a Dartboard and its all the best of practice, and yes all well and good hitting practice on treble 20s
    as its what we all want to do when scoring , BUT dont forget the treble 19
    when you need as a cover score, as well as the others as they all are so important when finishing a game . I do always take aside so long to practice them treble 20s for scoring mainly, BUT a dartboard has all these other numbers which you have to know for counting for finishes instance
    left with 146 then most would go as i would treble 20 treble 18 and dble 16
    126 left then treble 19 another treble 19 and dble 6 and if say you miss 2nd treble 19 and hit the single 19 then its Bullseye ..We all have our own ways in Darts to finish a game BUT you need to know when hitting a certain Number or treble where your next dart is heading

All around the darboard is so important to know and not just treble 20s although it is the one of the most important for also finishes as well as the scoring .

BUT just aiming with constant practice at the treble 20 then NO WAY ..
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! How did I miss this one?

I for one used to pound the triple 20 like it was my enemy and the only way to rid the world of it was to blow the entire thing away over and over and over again until no dartboard I owned had one left!

Well, something like that anyway.

However, I then learned a saying I've not forgotten: Points for show, doubles for dough.

So while I did create the 100@20's practice routine (probably in part thanks to Craig I'm sure) because I felt I needed to score more and needed to understand where my scoring stood against others (not just in a game) I also spent a fair amount of time on things like Bob's27 in order to improve my doubles.

Fact is, I'm with CraigB here -- points are great but if you can't hit the doubles then all the 180's in the world won't do you a lick of good.

Unless, of course, you only play cricket Wink
    chunkybudda37
    Private

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a believer in a strong alternative switch shot to cope with those days when t20 just isn't working so I've started playing 501 practice legs where I can't use 20 at all and rotate using only 17's 18's and 19's I've found this has helped my game enormously Wink
    Barry_French
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mervyn Kings approach to how he practises is a good guide here.

He practices whatever number he has not been hitting great in his matches, for example if he keeps missing the T17 on a 161 out then he will pound T17 until such a point that he is content with the adjustment needed to get it in a match.

Nothing wrong with practising power scoring but it has to have some structure to it. Like how many points you can score in 30 throws etc.

I think that I am a better player now in a lot of ways because I do not just throw at T20's! I now do a lot of 501 practice which incorporates the use of the T20 while I get to use my maths and practising setting up of the shots and maximising your opportunities.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to practice this way. Burry the T20 bed until it was gone, rotate and repeat until you replaced the board.

Sure helped scoring.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: