· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - I'm Torn
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

I'm Torn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    RNLarry
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: I'm Torn Reply with quote

I play in top league in the county. My problem is that most of my friends play on a lower league. I know I want and need to play against good strong players but want to be with my friends. Each lower team can have an "A" player no more than one or the entire team moves up to the higher division. What to do? BTW the lower team has asked me to play for them and the team is AMVETS my brothers who are getting whipped pretty badly. Maybe one season ? Like I said am torn.

Crying or Very sad Larry
    Skizrock
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be nice to play down for a season, help out some friends, maybe mentor or coach a little. It might be a whole different type of gratitude that you get out of it. You can always go back up. The only thing that might prevent me from moving is if it would hurt my chances of playing with a good team, ie by leaving that team.

Commissioner/Business Adminstrator
    Minute Man Dart League
    http://www.mmdl.org
    Flight Fighters NS Super A MMDL Spring 2016 Champions
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skizrock wrote:
    It might be nice to play down for a season, help out some friends, maybe mentor or coach a little. It might be a whole different type of gratitude that you get out of it. You can always go back up. The only thing that might prevent me from moving is if it would hurt my chances of playing with a good team, ie by leaving that team.

Mentoring and providing inspiration to less skilled players is something that so many accomplished players neglect these days.

RNLarry wrote:
    I play in top league in the county. My problem is that most of my friends play on a lower league. I know I want and need to play against good strong players but want to be with my friends. Each lower team can have an "A" player no more than one or the entire team moves up to the higher division. What to do? BTW the lower team has asked me to play for them and the team is AMVETS my brothers who are getting whipped pretty badly. Maybe one season ? Like I said am torn.

Crying or Very sad Larry

If you do play for your brothers team you could try to foster some good friendly competition amongst the team that encourages them to practice their skills and pick up their game. Start some sort of a pool, and use the money from that pool to send the most improved player on the team to an ADO Qualifier or something of that nature.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Art
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a great reason to play more then once a week.....lol. I look for those all the time.....join a lower one and a higher one. there must be one somewhere on a different night.
    OhioSt8
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you're "torn" over this proves you're a good guy. I think it's a very noble thing to stay with a team that you've sort of outgrown, only to hang out, help the team, and maybe teach along the way. Be careful of feeling obligated to stay, especially if it interferes with opportunities to progress your own game even more. Your friends will understand if you explain your goals.

All the best.
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for myself were I in your situation. Playing at a lower level tends to drive me crazy. I take my laptop to the venue and horse around on it between matches and try not to get too upset during the paly. I have suffered through some 'B' league matches because someone knew me and I was visiting them from out of town. I could not imagine doing it for a whole season.

So my considerations would be... First: Do I have the time? Next: will there be an opportunity for me to practice on boards that are not being used? Third: What else can I do with my time while I am there?

I think I would agree to playing some of their more difficult matches but I doubt that I would make the commitment for the whole season.

Just my thoughts.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    RNLarry
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the comments. Unfortunately they play on the same night. Soo after talking it over with the missus I'm gonna devote time to attending their practices and try to mentor them in that way. They are very receptive and I'm taking my book (found it George) Darts Beginning to end and start with mechanics as Iv'e never seen sooo much snatching and yipping in my life. This alone should pick them up several games. One player throws the arrows like a baseball Crying or Very sad Another throws with the dart actually over his head. After 12 weeks there are players without a single win (SAD). I plan on changing this. Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again and all the best to All
    Larry
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNLarry wrote:
    Thanks guys for the comments. Unfortunately they play on the same night. Soo after talking it over with the missus I'm gonna devote time to attending their practices and try to mentor them in that way. They are very receptive and I'm taking my book (found it George) Darts Beginning to end and start with mechanics as Iv'e never seen sooo much snatching and yipping in my life. This alone should pick them up several games. One player throws the arrows like a baseball Crying or Very sad Another throws with the dart actually over his head. After 12 weeks there are players without a single win (SAD). I plan on changing this. Will keep you guys posted.

Larry

Thanks for the compliment. Smile
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNLarry wrote:

Larry

Good thinking! Attending their practices and mentoring is a great strategy. Working on build solid consistent technique should go a long way towards strengthening the team!
    RNLarry
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys after practicing and more practicing my boys and girls actually won 9-7 against another pitiful team. You would have thought they won the Desert Classic LOL. More practice and mechanics instruction next week. Their first win in 2 years. Slooooooooow going.

Larry
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNLarry wrote:
    Well guys after practicing and more practicing my boys and girls actually won 9-7 against another pitiful team. You would have thought they won the Desert Classic LOL. More practice and mechanics instruction next week. Their first win in 2 years. Slooooooooow going.

Larry

A win should build their confidence a bit, and it helps if a team really believes that winning is a real possibility! Practice works miracles!
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: