· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Need a little advice on holding my darts
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Need a little advice on holding my darts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    RNLarry
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Need a little advice on holding my darts Reply with quote

Should I hold my dart with the point up and release. Or dart pointed directly at the target and release. I keep hearing point up,point up but it seems more natural to aim at the target with the dart. Even with point up the release has to aim at the target. Am I making any sense guys?

thanks.
    Larry
    Hatrick3
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a personal preference nobody can tell you this way is right or that way is wrong. Just hold the dart however it feels right. It's just a matter finding your release point on your throw and being able to repeat it. A smooth arm action all the way through your throw is a definate plus. Hope this helps a little.

Hatrick
    JohnP
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, there's no right or wrong way. Try both ways and see which works better for you.

If you're a newer player, you might have the same instinct I did when I started: I held the dart flat (parallel to the floor) and tried to throw it straight in to the target. But the dart needs to arc to get there. I soon changed to cocking the tip well up, and it worked much better. Now, I try to *BEEP* the tip as vertical as possible, the more the better. (It doesn't actually get anywhere near vertical, just feels like it does.) But that's just what works for me - a lot of players better than me keep it flat.
    JohnP
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's interesting: you can't use the latter half of the word "wristcock" in a dart forum. Surprised I didn't notice that before - I think that's the first time I've been "beeped".

I understand why it beeps that word, just surprised I never noticed it before. Sad
    HeRoDaRtS
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep the point up just a little bit...like johnp said the dart travels on an arc ...the point is gunna end up pointing up in its travel to the board ....and then flatten out before it makes contact .. so pointing up just aid in a smooth transition....the degree of tilt also depends on speed at release or even the darts depending apon how they are weighted ...front loaded ...center balanced what have you.

co-capt- TWO GUNS UP"spring 2010"
    Charis
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really a great player but I never ever thought about whether the point of my darts points upwards or straight or downwards. I suppose it would be bad should it point straight upwards of downwards - that´s like throwing a javelin - when it points straight upwards it will not fly too far and straight downwards you´ll hit the ground.

I myself just throw the dart - to watch whether it might now be just slightly upwards in the correct angle looks like an "unnecessary" distraction as George Silberzahn would say.
    It would be a question for a person like Unicorns Uniboffin to answer - is the dart balanced that you reach the ideal flight path for it when the tip slightly points upwards?
    When I watch the Pros they don´t seem to pay much attention to where the tip points....
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my tip flat. It is flat at the point of release. As I pull back the tip actually goes up a bit.

If you look closely at Phil taylor, on the draw, his tip is down. But at the release it is also straight. He seems to pull the tip down on the draw back. I was watching Paul Lim a few weeks ago and he has the tip down on the draw back as well. Another person with the tip down in Ronnie Baxter, but his grip is so strange to me that I would never be able to copy it.

I have found that if I keep the tip up, I have a tendency to float my darts. With the tip up, they take off from my hand going up. With the tip flat, my throw is flatter and that seems to bring me more accuracy. I've tried tip down but it does not feel comfortable.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    alex027
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is different for everyone. Different folks, different strokes. May I suggest joining flight school. Your question would be answered with the first package you receive and you would never think of it again. After your stroke starts to develop naturally from the program, you will do what you are supposed to do to put the dart in the hole. After you start doing that, then you could really pay attention to what you are doing and see for yourself how YOU do it.

Personally, when I draw my dart back to its furthest point it points up pretty dramatically, but on my forward motion as my wrist and fingers start to uncurl it flattens out with the tip pointed slightly up at the point of release.
    Paddy_McGinty
    Private

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always throw my darts with the pionts down towards the floor, and use the flight to aim, I find this a quite satisfactory method, but as others have said before it all comes down with type of throw a player has and what feels most natural,

Regards Paddy
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need a little advice on holding my darts Reply with quote

RNLarry wrote:
    Should I hold my dart with the point up and release. Or dart pointed directly at the target and release. I keep hearing point up,point up but it seems more natural to aim at the target with the dart. Even with point up the release has to aim at the target. Am I making any sense guys?

thanks.
    Larry

Shocked Please, please, please - never think about your release point. Know it exists but never, never think about it. This is the beginning of a very slippery slope. Once you begin thinking about how your arm, wrist and fingers go about delivering the dart it will be extremely difficult to "just shoot the dart" and without that you will never, ever reach your potential. I know of many who have gotten tangled up in such things and every one says the same thing - Confused Exclamationdo not think on the oche.
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!!!

I was watching a bunch of Video the other day, Japanese Soft tip TV tournment. I noticed how the player all copied each other (stance, release, aim (kinda Taylor style). So I went to the board and tried to copy... 1st sign I was screwing up (besides the bad scoring) was my arm got sore... I usuall can play all night and my arm seldom gets tired ( throw every day at least an hour).

I was coming off a month of some of my best darts, only to screw up my game in one night.. This weekend I will spend trying to get it back...hopeing beer and biker chicks (bar i play) will get my mind off thinking a the oche Smile
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy_McGinty wrote:
    I always throw my darts with the pionts down towards the floor, and use the flight to aim,

I've seen a few players start out this way, but I wouldn't recommend it. Why? Because, unlike firing a gun, as soon as you move your arm to throw you've also moved the sight too! Much better to simply aim at the target itself (and only the target).
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: