· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Playing for money
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Playing for money
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> MINUTE MAN Dart League (MMDL)
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you play a friend for money, even though you know he has drank to much, and is below his normal level of shooting?
    Yes, why not, it's his own fault
    30%
     30%  [ 13 ]
    No, he's a friend, and you shouldn't take advantage of him
    69%
     69%  [ 29 ]
    Total Votes : 42

Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Playing for money Reply with quote

Here is just a hypothetical question. I was talking to other players, and asked them this question.

When playing a friend for money, do you continue to play him, when he is obviously not throwing at his level, due to drinking.

I say no you don't. A true friend would never take advantage of a friend like that.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    rob
    Chief Gunner
    Chief Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely dont play chitown when he is drunk... he gets better! Wink

Tracy
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is Hooley I say YES Wink Wink Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
    kirby
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Playing for money Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:
    Here is just a hypothetical question. I was talking to other players, and asked them this question.

When playing a friend for money, do you continue to play him, when he is obviously not throwing at his level, due to drinking.

I say no you don't. A true friend would never take advantage of a friend like that.

Kinda like at the Eagles a few years back.. Wink Even though I was'nt exchanging cash, one of the most well respected guys there was, and he was hammered, along with my partner... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I say if its head to head and you're being needled constantly sure, clean his clock..But if its a one time instance and the person is gassed a true friend would not take advantage...Besides payback could be a b-t-h.. Laughing
    RIP Mom, Love ya forever!!
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons learned hard are learned best. I guess all the money I lost at Stamford playing poker that Sat. night should be returned to me because I was blind drunk? Wink If someone's ego gets the better of him when he is drinking then he has two choices......don't drink or deal with the consequences. I've been on both sides of this situation more than once. There is no need to play for outrageous stakes when playing a "friend" you can just as easily play for beers or whatnot. However in the final analysis if someone wants to play for money and I think there is a good chance I can win..... I will play (and depending on the stakes I may play anyway even if I think I have no chance to win and then look at the money lost as paying for lessons). I will not feel the least bit guilty nor should anyone taking my money when I lose regardless of the "whys" or excuses. The same also goes when my kids want to play for money. If they have it to lose I have no problem with them playing as long as their opponent fully realizes that I expect the kids to pay up if/when they lose no questions asked. People should ask for no quarter and give none when it comes to playing for money.

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, as one who can attest to what I would do, as I gave your son back his money, that time we played. I don't take pleasure out of beating a friend out of his money, if it were obvious he is not capable of playing his best.
    If it is not a friend however, I would take him for what I could. I'd still feel bad, but not that bad. Laughing Laughing As you say, a hard lesson, is learned the best. I just wouldn't do it to a friend. Friends are suppose to look out for each other, not take advantage of them. JMHO.
    Presently not playing
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank....It's not that I don't understand and appreciate where you are coming from. However. exactly what are friends for if not to teach lessons? What did Miles learn from you by you giving him his money back? In my view he learned nothing. What he SHOULD have learned was that getting in over your head can cost you! That life lesson for a five spot is a huge bargin in my opinion. My job is to raise my boys to be men. Life lessons like losing a bet you should not have made is just one lesson in a list of many that they should learn. Perhaps the fellow you refer to in this post should have learned his lesson early as well. Evil or Very Mad Laughing

DEREK
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

I like Frank...would not do it out of respect for a friend...but if that friend kept at it nagging and such..play it once..keep the money aside and some night down the road put it towards their tab at the pub.Sometimes the best way to keep a friend from preassuring you into a money game, when the chips are stacked well against him, is to beat him in a quick game and call it a night. or just humor them with the games and then don't take the cash...just call it even after the games are done. If it is someone that i don't know or have no relationship with...I will take everything they have if I can...and that is a lesson learned the hard way.

http://theglass.dartplayer.net
    http://twitter.com/d_ewellTheGlass
    rob
    Chief Gunner
    Chief Gunner

and i can attest that larry didnt want you to give it back to him! Wink Laughing

kirby
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEREK wrote:
    I like Frank...would not do it out of respect for a friend...but if that friend kept at it nagging and such..play it once..keep the money aside and some night down the road put it towards their tab at the pub.Sometimes the best way to keep a friend from preassuring you into a money game, when the chips are stacked well against him, is to beat him in a quick game and call it a night. or just humor them with the games and then don't take the cash...just call it even after the games are done. If it is someone that i don't know or have no relationship with...I will take everything they have if I can...and that is a lesson learned the hard way.

Joe M??????????? Derek is going to give you all the money him and B-na robbed you of.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    DEREK
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe is my golf partner...and he has gotten most of his money back at the bar in the numerous rounds i have bought for him...he is one of the few I will always play because he nags the hell out of you until you play him....

LaujThoj
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEREK wrote:

LMAO I agree with Derek. If you don't play the guy he'll probably pick a game with someone else anyway. I'd rather play him til hes out of pride then tell em to keep his money. Keyword: his. The ladies should gamble too once in a while. Laughing
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob wrote:
    and i can attest that larry didnt want you to give it back to him! Wink Laughing

Yes! I was less than pleased. Evil or Very Mad

Chitown599

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, 1st off, this is just a hypothetical question. I am referring to no one in particular. I have just seen this done from time to time, and I just wanted to know others thoughts on it, that's all.

As for Miles not learning anything, I think he did. If nothing else, he learned not everyone takes advantage of kids, and hopefully, that will follow him throughout his darting career.

I do understand your point about a lesson learned, but to me a friend doesn't teach a friend lessons, he has their back.
    Presently not playing
    DEREK
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirby wrote:
    DEREK wrote:

Joe M??????????? Derek is going to give you all the money him and B-na robbed you of.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And Joe's biggest problem was that he chose you as his partner Laughing and then covered Byers too....

BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a horse of a different colour when it comes to this subject. I simply don't see the need to play for anything except the love of the game, the companionship of friends, or the challenge of accepting a match from another player.

I personally don't like taking money off of friends and don't like the probable (continuing) confrontation from taking it off of other shooters.

I'm not talking about chucking in a buck to shoot around with your buddies, of course.

I also understand that many people don't shoot as well unless they are playing for 'something', so I make sure not to play into their game. Wink Very Happy

Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:
    As for Miles not learning anything, I think he did. If nothing else, he learned not everyone takes advantage of kids, and hopefully, that will follow him throughout his darting career.
    I do understand your point about a lesson learned, but to me a friend doesn't teach a friend lessons, he has their back.

If he learned anything..... is that some people can be big softies!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink However, what he didn't learn is most people are not. I feel that was a opportunity missed for a great life lesson. O' well there are many other chances to learn that particular lesson. I also feel you WOULD have had his back by teaching him a lesson. Because you are not always going to be there to bail him out....nor am I....so you see where I'm going with this?

Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic by the way!!!!!!! Finally something interesting to debate!

kirby
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEREK wrote:
    kirby wrote:
    DEREK wrote:

And Joe's biggest problem was that he chose you as his partner Laughing and then covered Byers too....

Not me!! I got out of Dodge.. Laughing Laughing I played 1 game with Cahill.. Laughing The AARP boys got plugged and you started tossing 20's around cause you know Lisa would'nt let the B-NUS carry anything over a buck Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Joe took that hook line and sinker.. Laughing Laughing
    I do have to admit though 10 years ago there were loads of money games at the Bird and "EVERYONE" would be gassed..Don't remember anyone ever giving it back though Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannonmiles wrote:
    Chitown599 wrote:

If he learned anything..... is that some people can be big softies!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink However, what he didn't learn is most people are not. I feel that was a opportunity missed for a great life lesson. O' well there are many other chances to learn that particular lesson. I also feel you WOULD have had his back by teaching him a lesson. Because you are not always going to be there to bail him out....nor am I....so you see where I'm going with this?

I see your point Larry, and I apologize for not keeping his money, wow, did I just apologize for not taking a kids money? Anyway, it's not in me to do something like that, sorry.
    Presently not playing
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand completely. The answer is easy. If you won't take their money when they lose then don't play them for money. This goes equally for drunks and kids or anyone else for that matter. It does not make you a bad guy. You are an honest nice guy. We see things a bit differently as far as this subject goes. I just have the way I think is right to raise my kids. I could be wrong about how I go about it but it’s my way. But one thing for sure is they are never going to get hustled on a dart board!!!!!!!!!!!! They will also never act like a big baby when they lose a bet. I will have raised men when I’m done. I can live with that.

thirstydawg
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy wrote:
    If it is Hooley I say YES Wink Wink Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Tracy you beat me to it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

But otherwise i say no you don't.Cause i wouldn't want a friend to do that to me
    #3 rules may he rest in peace
    kirby
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannonmiles wrote:
    I understand completely. The answer is easy. If you won't take their money when they lose then don't play them for money. This goes equally for drunks and kids or anyone else for that matter. It does not make you a bad guy. You are an honest nice guy. We see things a bit differently as far as this subject goes. I just have the way I think is right to raise my kids. I could be wrong about how I go about it but it’s my way. But one thing for sure is they are never going to get hustled on a dart board!!!!!!!!!!!! They will also never act like a big baby when they lose a bet. I will have raised men when I’m done. I can live with that.

Better teach them Horseshoes too Lawrence.. Wink
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirby wrote:
    Shannonmiles wrote:

Better teach them Horseshoes too Lawrence.. Wink

If you’re teaching them Kirby...... I'm fine with that. Learn from the best and you cannot go wrong. When they get a little big for their britches there is not a thing in the world wrong with knocking em' down a peg or two.

Eddie_C
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a LOD before the season began at the Fitz and outside of PDSL and MMDL I havent been frequenting the Fitz as much since Rhiannon was born, a younger kid tried to entice me into playing for money, I agreed and he wanted to do 10 Bulls for 10$, he told me he was pretty good (never seen him before in my life) I proceeded to throw 5 Bulls to his 1 then a 2 and 3, I had 10 Bulls and he had 4, he reminded me he had last shot because I started, I obliged and reminded him he needed to throw 3 PERFECT Darts. He didn't, he dug into his pocket pulled out a 5$ bill and 5 Ones, I told him to keep his money.

His Buddy wanted to do it for 20$, (the kid obviosly hadn't been watching or was just a little too cocky) I took his 20$ for being stupid.

But as a Rule of Thumb I don't play for money especially against a friend

MMDL ADO REP Boston

Some people are like Slinkies, good for nothing. Until you push them down a flight of stairs and they put a smile on your face

New Out for 60; S1, T19 D1
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> MINUTE MAN Dart League (MMDL) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: