· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Soft Tip Calcuttas
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Soft Tip Calcuttas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Soft tip/Electronic Leagues
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    habanerojooz
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Soft Tip Calcuttas Reply with quote

Calcuttas are very popular down here in Houston and the surrounding area. Last week, we had a $500 "added" LOD Calcutta that drew 58 people.

1st place in the LOD dart tournament was $500, 2nd was ~$300, 3rd was ~$150, and 4th was ~$80.

Contrast that with the Calcutta payout where 1st place $1227, 2nd place Calcutta was over $800, 3rd place was around $400, and 4th place was around $200.

It's interesting to see how the soft tip players love to gamble and participate in the Calcutta bidding whereas we never have Calcutta events in the steel tip LODs around here.

Do any of you have Calcuttas where you live?
    Gene
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us the basics on a Calcutta. Can you adapt the format for steel? Cool
    Robot
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to start playing soft tip.
    baist111
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robot wrote:
    I need to start playing soft tip.

I keep thinking the same thing...
    steveocy
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the definination according to gold.about.com, we used to do big calcutta tournaments with pool players. I assume in a blind draw you would be bidding on the teams after the draw. I have never heard of doing it for dart tournaments, but it would work great. We usually allowed people to buy more then one player or team if they wanted to. Usually the best pool players would go for up to a few hundred dollars. The low level ones would only be a few bucks.

Definition: The term "Calcutta" describes a type of auction-pool wagering that can be applied to golf and many other sporting events. In golf, a Calcutta is most common at a tournament featuring 4-person teams, but a Calcutta can be held in conjunction with any type of golf tournament.

In a Calcutta, golfers bid, auction style, on the golfer or team who they think will win the tournament (you can bid on yourself or your own team, too). All the money raised through the "auction" goes into the pot. At the end of the tournament, those who "won" the team that then won the tournament get a pre-determined payout from the auction pool.

The precise rules of a Calcutta can vary from place to place; many tournament organizers employ software programs that apply odds and determine win-place-show amounts. Perhaps the simplest and most common Calcutta payout is 70 percent of the pool to the "owner" of the winning tournament team, 30 percent to the "owner" of the second-place tournament team.

Among other variations is one that allows a golfer to buy back half of himself or his team from the winning bidder. For example, your team is "won" in the auction by Team X; if this rule is in effect, you can pay half of Team X's winning bid back to Team X in order to buy back half a stake in your own team. If your team then wins the tournament, your team and Team X split the Calcutta payout.
    habanerojooz
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
    Give us the basics on a Calcutta. Can you adapt the format for steel? Cool

Yes you can. A Calcutta is not specific to soft-tip darts. It's just that the soft-tip darters around here are more apt to hold these events. I've played in a few steel tip Calcuttas before, but the steel tip crowd never seems to bet and gamble like soft tip crowd.

steveocy wrote:
    Here is the definination according to golf.about.com, we used to do big calcutta tournaments with pool players. I assume in a blind draw you would be bidding on the teams after the draw. I have never heard of doing it for dart tournaments, but it would work great. We usually allowed people to buy more then one player or team if they wanted to. Usually the best pool players would go for up to a few hundred dollars. The low level ones would only be a few bucks.

Correct. You first complete the draw to establish the teams. Then they announce the teams, one by one, and have them step up to the front for all to see, just in case people aren't familiar with the names. Sometimes they'll even produce a list of the teams and hand them out for people to use as they bid on the teams.

Most people are well known and therefore, the strength of the team is understood. Where things get interesting is if an 'unknown' top player shows up. They aren't chosen in the first few bids and they fall down deep into the pool. They can be bought for a relatively inexpensive price and then they end up in the money rounds and win a lot of money for relatively little investment.

After all teams are announced and shown, the auction bidding begins. The first pick of the litter will often be the highest priced team. Around here, that first pick winning bid gets up to $400-$600 range. But I've seen instances where the second pick goes for more money than the first pick. It depends on the bidders and what they think of the remaining teams after that first pick.

Naturally, as the better teams get picked, the price starts to go down accordingly. If the field is really strong, many of the teams in the top 7 picks will still require $100-$250 dollars per team. By the time you get down to the final remaining 5-8 teams people aren't willing to buy them. So to speed things up, the auctioneer will bundle the rest of them into one single bid.

steveocy wrote:
    Among other variations is one that allows a golfer to buy back half of himself or his team from the winning bidder. For example, your team is "won" in the auction by Team X; if this rule is in effect, you can pay half of Team X's winning bid back to Team X in order to buy back half a stake in your own team. If your team then wins the tournament, your team and Team X split the Calcutta payout.

It is customary around here for the winning bidder to split 50% of the cost of the bid with the team that they chose. This is a way to offset the bidder's risk and it gives incentive to the players too. This deal is struck before the games begin. It is not mandatory for the players to buy this stake in themselves, but I've never seen any teams refuse this.

Obviously, you can surmise what kinds of issues would arise if the bidder were to refuse to sell half the stake to the team that he bought.

Before any of you consider holding a Calcutta, I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with your local laws as it is a form of gambling. Wink Around here, word of these events spreads by word-of-mouth and phone texting.

The next Calcutta in this area will be a $500 'added' LOD soft-tip tournament on March 13th in Porter, TX. This is a small community several miles NE of Houston on HWY 59. There will be a guaranteed mystery out and a honey pot too.
    djsayre
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In columbus, I only know of us having a calcutta once. It was at a soft tip singles tournament. It was pretty interesting. We were allowed to bid on ourselves. Well, right when I walked in one of the guys told me that he is putting everything he has on me. Now we did not have anybody go into the hundreds. I think $60 might of been the highest. Well we did not do the 50% buy back thing. So the way it turned out. I was in the kings seat and the guy I was playing is a good friend who won himself in the calcutta. Well it turned out that if I were to split the winnings and the calcutta with him it would be more money for me to throw the match and let him win.....Dont get me wrong. I wanted to, but I just couldnt. So needless to say I ended up winning the match and after the guy who won me in the calcutta threw me a porkchop so it made it worthwhile. It just seems like there could be some really shady stuff happen in these situations....imo.
    djsayre
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know with those kinda payouts it might be worth making a trip to houston as the unknown huh donnie?...lol
    habanerojooz
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djsayre wrote:
    I know with those kinda payouts it might be worth making a trip to houston as the unknown huh donnie?...lol

That's exactly what I'm saying DJ. Just don't spend a lot of time being social with everybody and don't throw like you normally do when you're warming up. People notice new faces and they'll be watching you warm up. They'll be asking who you are. If they ask me, I'll say that I don't know that guy. Wink

As far as the shady stuff, that is always a risk whenever players can place bids too, no matter what sport it is.

Because the top 5 or so bids go for such high prices, it is rare that a team will combine their money to buy themselves in the upper bidding zone. But if they do, it's because they're very confident about their chances and they're not going to offer to split it with anybody.

Now, if two teams work a deal to split the combined players pot and calcutta pots beforehand, regardless of who wins, that is a different story.

What most commonly occurs is that a team will buy themselves after many other top teams have already been chosen, because by then, the bidding has gone way down in price. So, you buy your own team because you feel like a darkhorse and the price is much more to your liking. Win the tournament. Take the both the players' pot and the calcutta pot. Sweet. If you don't win, then your bidding stake wasn't for very much. But if you do win, you risked very little to win a whole lot.

I just wish we'd have those monster five-figure triple pots like they used to get up in Illinois. Shocked
    PottyPup
    Private

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: calcutta in june? Reply with quote

I just qualified for the ado 501 championship at the houston open. do you know where one of these calcuttas might be held that weekend? love to walk in as the dark horse
    Thorn
    Gunner
    Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but don;t think we have any in the Rose City region...souns like a hecka supportive franchise though, soft or steel....
    habanerojooz
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: calcutta in june? Reply with quote

PottyPup wrote:
    I just qualified for the ado 501 championship at the houston open. do you know where one of these calcuttas might be held that weekend? love to walk in as the dark horse

It's highly unlikely that there will be a local soft-tip calcutta held on the same weekend as the Houston Open.

There have been 2 calcuttas in the past 4 weeks. In one of them, the top team sold for $1,000. That team ended up taking first place and they pocketed over $1,500 each.....and that was after splitting 50% of the calcutta pot with the guy who originally bought them.
    ogreoftheoche
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in the northern indiana area there is a blind draw calcutta at the DAV on the 30th. 10 dollsr entry. Three divisions Guys, gals and pros.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Soft tip/Electronic Leagues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: