· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Should SEWA allow politics?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Should SEWA allow politics?
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Site Information and Questions
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Erik allow politics?
    Yes! Let's debate!
    6%
     6%  [ 2 ]
    No! This is a dart site!
    54%
     54%  [ 17 ]
    OK, but make it a seperate forum so I don't see it
    38%
     38%  [ 12 ]
    Total Votes : 31

Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Should SEWA allow politics? Reply with quote

I've had a rule for a long time -- no politics -- and even moderated myself (deleted my own posts) when I got carried away.

I keep being asked to allow more freedom to post what people want (like politics) and have debated allowing a section just for that where you could join if you wanted -- and thus see the political posts -- or not.

So, should I create a politics section of the site? Or just stick to the rule of no politics Smile

I think this is a dart site, not a politics site but I'm also a very political person and am often tempted to share my views -- I've tried to keep it down though Wink So now's your chance to choose....loosen the reigns or tighten them up for good?

Last edited by Erik on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    DEREK
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say yes but as long as it is its own forum, this site is great for darts, and also for people personal life updates and such. Politics is a fact of life and should be open for discussion, but only in its own forum. where people know going in that it is politics and can avoid it if they so feel to...just my 2 cents. Laughing

http://theglass.dartplayer.net
    http://twitter.com/d_ewellTheGlass
    Charis
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I wouldn´t mix much in that anyway but as you seem to like to debate why not???
    You could put up some kind of sub forum in the non dart forum, you could try it. It might be difficult to moderate but you´ll only find out when you try...
    I even would try it with an open forum everybody will be able to read and to participate. No one can predict what will happen Laughing . But it would be no problem to change it from an open to a restricted forum - so why not try???
    jwarner
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go on a golf forum that allows politics in a sub forum and hides the topics. If you allow politics in the regular forum almost every topic will turn into a debate. With the large number of MA. members it could prove to be entertaining. Shocked
    YoungDrtr
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally had voted "No! This is a dart site" but now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind as long as it had it's own forum. I know there's a lot of people out there that like to talk politics and I also think it is a very important thing to talk about, although an exhausting thing at times... so I wouldn't mind as long as there was enough interest to keep it alive and that it had it's own place away from all the dart stuff.
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted OK, as long as it's on it's own forum. I like the debate, as long as it stays friendly. But sooner or later they always turn heated. I would give it a try, but if things get heated, I say shut it down, and good riddance
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:
    I voted OK, as long as it's on it's own forum. I like the debate, as long as it stays friendly. But sooner or later they always turn heated. I would give it a try, but if things get heated, I say shut it down, and good riddance

That's something I have to work on personally -- since I'm so damn passionate about it! ha! I'll admit, I'm one of the worst when it comes to getting upset.

But perhaps I can behave Wink Twisted Evil after all, I've been working on that Razz
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCommandant wrote:
    Chitown599 wrote:

That's something I have to work on personally -- since I'm so damn passionate about it! ha! I'll admit, I'm one of the worst when it comes to getting upset.

But perhaps I can behave Wink Twisted Evil after all, I've been working on that Razz

Don't make me give you a time out. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Presently not playing
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:
    TheCommandant wrote:
    Chitown599 wrote:

You know Frank, a time out was created by the timeoutianist of eastern lunarstate and their ideology is.....

Muhahahaha
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCommandant wrote:
    Chitown599 wrote:
    TheCommandant wrote:
    Chitown599 wrote:

You know Frank, a time out was created by the timeoutianist of eastern lunarstate and their ideology is.....

Muhahahaha

I have absolutely no idea what you just said. Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Presently not playing
    dayjobdave
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully recommend "no."

The spillover is inevitable, and even if people don't comment "politically" in other forums, their opinion of other forum contritutors can be tainted by debate in the political forums.

At the end of the day, Sewa is a great site because it is dart-focussed. There are thousands of political forums on the Internet where we can all go share our views, and it doesn't end up back here.

Sewa is a great site because it is dart centric Erik. A political forum will make it much more work, and much more contentious, neither of which will do anything to help the game of us respective members.
    UsualChaos
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama Who ????

I say if it has its own area and you sign up for it like flight school then why not.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    GRANITE STATE "A" DIV CHAMPS

MILL CITY DART LEAGUE
    "POLISH PUNISHERS" A DIVISION
    R.I.P. Mikey 2008
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dayjobdave wrote:
    I respectfully recommend "no."

The spillover is inevitable, and even if people don't comment "politically" in other forums, their opinion of other forum contritutors can be tainted by debate in the political forums.

At the end of the day, Sewa is a great site because it is dart-focussed. There are thousands of political forums on the Internet where we can all go share our views, and it doesn't end up back here.

Sewa is a great site because it is dart centric Erik. A political forum will make it much more work, and much more contentious, neither of which will do anything to help the game of us respective members.

Well said and I agree completely. No good can come of mixing darts and politics on this site. Every really good forum I ever belonged to took a serious hit when political forums were allowed. The damage is hard to recover from when things go bad, and many of those sites never have recovered. Create a separate website for a political forum if folks really want to talk politics.

If the goal is to see this site self destruct just throw religion into the mix as well.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Charis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admitt I didn´t think about that - that might be a danger. I´ve no experience with discussing politics in a forum but I think it can happen that you get influenced in your view of a person - that happens often enough when you discuss darts here in the forum and don´t agree with some of the posts Wink .

Erik, what was the reason you closed down your political site?
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charis wrote:
    I have to admitt I didn´t think about that - that might be a danger. I´ve no experience with discussing politics in a forum but I think it can happen that you get influenced in your view of a person - that happens often enough when you discuss darts here in the forum and don´t agree with some of the posts Wink .

Erik, what was the reason you closed down your political site?

I closed patriotsview becuase I lacked the time to keep the spammers at bay Sad It was just too much work -- time that I needed to keep them away from SEWA was too valuable to spend on pats view...perhaps if I could get some assistance on the political site I could do that instead and move topics there (somehow) that are posted here ----
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both sides of the fence are lying cheating scum that shouldnt be trusted. I voted yes, but it's own forum. Finding out what a person's politics are, gives you great insight into their character.
    vanduynl
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont want to see politics on this site. its a darts site, so lets keep it that way
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
    HeRoDaRtS
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think politics is best left for the voting booth and bumper stickers...i live in a very political family...my significant others license plate is a vanity plate expressing her political views...she is also working on the Tim Cahill for govenor of mass office, and i get enough of it at home..i love it and is a worthy topic but i come here to talk about all things darts and think it should stay that way ....only a few exceptions should be allowed the death or election of a politician blah blah blah ....otherwise you are opening this forum up to be a giant gripe fest....on the other hand it might help me pad my post count....

co-capt- TWO GUNS UP"spring 2010"
    cannibal
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no good can come from allowing politics even in its own section. Haven't we learned this lesson already from past experiences of allowing certain threads in the non dart section?? In effect allowing it in the non dart section allows people to self censor which I am all for. But the spill over effect as others have mentioned is just too powerful a force to stop. For me that negative cost outweighs the positive of allowing the discussions.

Typically the political threads become a soapbox for certain views and perspectives and those of a differing opinion tend to get disenfranchised from the forum community.

Personally I am a bit tired of the double standard in applying the COC. Some threads are allowed so certain individuals can use them for a soapbox, while others are locked. One group or individual can be slandered or derogatory terms directed at them while in other instances it is not allowed. I have turned a blind eye to some of these things myself as a mod to see what the response was going to be. Maybe I should not have done that but it also gets a bit tiresome to get the same crap from those who want to label you as a liberal or as being PC when your just trying to be a decent person and do things fairly as a mod.

If a political section is allowed I will not participate nor will I moderate it
    Thorn
    Gunner
    Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the three of you that like my input--my bizarre posts and even weirder Thorn Reports--I can tell you that I am firmly against any change in the rules of conduct, and that I would likely leave this site for good...or I might just become the most problematic opinionated poster you wish you had never read...Smile

Having a separate forum is no better than "allowing" it--and I think the polls show that the vast majority thinks any conduct changes are not wanted, and even if they were, they wouldwant it out of sight and mind.

Also, I wonder if our SEWA sponsors care only about more 'reads' than the content of the site...
    dsm1mtm
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't.
    Thorn
    Gunner
    Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy just had a thought I'd like to share with y'all...

"The site was created to bring people together for one sole purpose, the love of darts, right?" ~Bones

That's pretty profound to me, and it would make a good presiding rule, or COC. Much like "sportsmanship" is the overriding rule in darts...

Bones also added, that he has to play darts with people who "show" their character while playing, and he just has to ignore it, for a higher cause, the love of darts...what would happen at a shoot if we all started talking politics or religion? Some crappy darts, that's what'd happen... Wink
    jester
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    politics
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    and no religion Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
    habanerojooz
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a member of different hobby forum. They have a separate section for politics and religion. It has restricted access and you have to request access to it. This is an effective way to prevent people from casually going into the section and reading something they might be offended by.

For the record, I don't participate in it, but I thought I'd mention it because it seems to work for those who want to talk politics and religion on that forum.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some may know, I'm a member of other forums (usually musician related) and a couple of them were created just to keep the "taboo" topics (mostly politics and religion) away from the primary purpose that others were made for.

I'd say the best solution would be to keep politics and religion out of this forum and for you (Erik) to create a separate forum with a new domain just for political debates and mud slinging (adults and adults that act like children only).

[rant]

Of course this is just my opinion. Feel free to take all of the Republicans, all of the Democrats, all of the racists, all of the warmongers, most of the lawyers ( Wink ) and the religious types (note these are different than the spiritual types) and dump them all into the deep end of the ocean. Feel free to add all of those annoying types who feel the need to force their personal agendas on you all the time as well. Confused

Oh heck, while I'm at it, if you can't afford to house, feed and teach your children then, for everyone else's sake, STOP BREEDING! Twisted Evil

Ok, I'm done and, yes, I feel much better. Laughing

[/rant]
    Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Site Information and Questions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: