· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Youths and darts
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Youths and darts
    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    delfam
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am currently 19 years of age and find it very difficult to find any were to play unless your 21 because everything is in a bar. i still practice at home for hours on end but its not the same as real competition.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump*

This years 5-1 Nationals Youth Qualifier was better attended. It was held in conjunction with the White Mountain Tournament in NH. It would seem that the only way to get the participation......... is to hold the event at a venue that the parents are going to anyway. What can I say……….whatever works! I want to say great job to all involved especially the folks that ran the event. Also, a big thanks to Tom Sawyer for planning it and arranging everything and last but not least to the Players and leagues that donated the money to fund this great cause. The MMDL is a great supporter of this event. Thank You guys very much.

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannonmiles wrote:
    Robot wrote:
    I got my first board for my 12th birthday and played all summer to become "good enough" to play with adults on my dad's league team. I didn't realize it then, but he went through a lot to make sure that all of the bar owners allowed me to play when I was only 13.
    We all know that the normal dart league isn't the best atmosphere for kids. Parents that don't play themselves may see darts as a dangerous activity.
    The very best way imo to get kids interested and involved is to have a youth league. I was invited to join one when I was 14 in 1996 by Marcy Reagan, (just curious to know if anyone recognizes that name) and we had darts every other Saturday morning in a Cafe.
    We would even travel a few times a year to the relatively local tournaments that had multiple youth events like Charlotte and Virginia Beach.
    I'll take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me to become dart player I am today. There are too many to even begin to name, but you know who you are.
    -Robbie Phillips
    Thanks for the response. I am envious of an area that has enough interest to have a youth league…. the Tidewater area jumps directly into my mind! Where I am (RI) there is little interest in adult darts (I am looking at a 1 to 1.5 hr drive each way for a decent league) much less a youth league. My kids canvassed their schools to no avail (I told them if they could get kids interested I would run it). I asked about having my kids play in a adult singles league if I could find a venue that would allow them and was shot down due to league by-laws. This is a pretty hard nut to crack

The local Boys and Girls Club gave space to our league to teach kids to play darts, good interest among the kids... parents not so much, but as the Club's programs grew the space we had be using was allocated for other uses. There was a bowling alley that offered us space, but we could not make the logistics of volunteer darters, kids and parents workout.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a shame that logistics stands in the way of kids learning this game in a fun environment. My son Shannon held a darts training seminar at his high school that was fairly well attended but involved a huge commitment of time and effort. We have as a family for the most part given up on any idea for “youth” darts taking off. My kids now shoot with me in a regular pub league and they are performing at the highest level (Miles won the league all star singles championship…….. secdldartsdotcom). It is a shame that a youth league could not be lifted off the ground but if I want to be honest my boys are probably getting more out of shooting against better competition anyway.

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    fotoman
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so we all need to get together with michael abbot in MI and brainstorm on how to fix things.

I'm working it a different angle on the top end to give darts some exposure. if kids see darts more often other than bars, then it's like "hey, what's that? can I play darts?" But I see a youth movement working, just have small bands of people and we all need to work together to share ideas and clone the things that work

I don't understand why the ADO hasn't been sending someone to every youth/school sports/activity convention/meeting in the country. They should be our voice to promote the sport.

My wife teaches Jr High and her math teammate said she would give extra credit to kids who participated in a dart league. I think this is a great way to get kids involved.

Our city has a ton of summer rec programs for kids of all ages, that might be another avenue of entry.
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteer time for thisis hard to find, I know, been running a youth league for 5 years now!
    But it's still working great!
    Steven Ringer Wilcox, #1 WDF RANKED YOUTH IN NORTH AMERICA...WAY TO GO STEVEN
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: