· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Youths and darts
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Youths and darts
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Youths and darts Reply with quote

Are they the future of the game? They are not in my opinion. The numbers of youths involved with the game are so small that they will be virtually a non factor in the development of the game in years to come. I base this last statement on the attendance of the youth regional held in my general area of the country. This year two spots for trips to the Nationals were up for grabs and the turn out was beyond disappointing. Last year was slightly better but still not good by any definition. This was a no cost entry event in one of….. if not…. the most “dart rich” areas in the United States. Are people ashamed of the game of darts to the point they will not allow their children to participate? Is it that they are ashamed of the behavior of dart players (including themselves) when they are in their “dart” element that they don’t want to expose their children to it? Is it and should it be an adult’s only bastion that affords parents a chance to get out for a night or weekend away from the prying eyes of their (or others brood(s) ? Are kids just not interested in the game? Should any of this matter? As a player who picked up the game when I got old enough to go to bars and a parent of dart playing kids in today’s environment ……..I don’t know if youth players of the past were ever really a significant feeder of large numbers of players to the game. Some older hands view on this would be appreciated. I am especially interested in the opinions of former youth players that grew up and stayed with the game.

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that anyone who picks up the game today and sticks with it is the future of the sport. Of course that goes slightly moreso IMO for young folks like your sons, Larry.

I had the paper board when I was about 10 or so but never really got into it for several reasons. I didn't know how to play the game (except throw at cork)..nobody else would play it with me..nobody to teach me the mechanics of the throw.

I do not have children of my own, but I already told my sister I want to teach my nephew (6 years old) when he is at a point where she feels he is responsible enough. Personally I wish I had stayed with it when I was younger..for someone with the ailments I have it wasn't like I could play Little League or football or whatnot like most every kid does.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Robot
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first board for my 12th birthday and played all summer to become "good enough" to play with adults on my dad's league team. I didn't realize it then, but he went through a lot to make sure that all of the bar owners allowed me to play when I was only 13.
    We all know that the normal dart league isn't the best atmosphere for kids. Parents that don't play themselves may see darts as a dangerous activity.
    The very best way imo to get kids interested and involved is to have a youth league. I was invited to join one when I was 14 in 1996 by Marcy Reagan, (just curious to know if anyone recognizes that name) and we had darts every other Saturday morning in a Cafe.
    We would even travel a few times a year to the relatively local tournaments that had multiple youth events like Charlotte and Virginia Beach.
    I'll take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me to become dart player I am today. There are too many to even begin to name, but you know who you are.
    -Robbie Phillips
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robot wrote:
    I got my first board for my 12th birthday and played all summer to become "good enough" to play with adults on my dad's league team. I didn't realize it then, but he went through a lot to make sure that all of the bar owners allowed me to play when I was only 13.
    We all know that the normal dart league isn't the best atmosphere for kids. Parents that don't play themselves may see darts as a dangerous activity.
    The very best way imo to get kids interested and involved is to have a youth league. I was invited to join one when I was 14 in 1996 by Marcy Reagan, (just curious to know if anyone recognizes that name) and we had darts every other Saturday morning in a Cafe.
    We would even travel a few times a year to the relatively local tournaments that had multiple youth events like Charlotte and Virginia Beach.
    I'll take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me to become dart player I am today. There are too many to even begin to name, but you know who you are.
    -Robbie Phillips
    Thanks for the response. I am envious of an area that has enough interest to have a youth league…. the Tidewater area jumps directly into my mind! Where I am (RI) there is little interest in adult darts (I am looking at a 1 to 1.5 hr drive each way for a decent league) much less a youth league. My kids canvassed their schools to no avail (I told them if they could get kids interested I would run it). I asked about having my kids play in a adult singles league if I could find a venue that would allow them and was shot down due to league by-laws. This is a pretty hard nut to crack

Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 70's in my early teens I played pool and darts at many local watering holes. My dad, relative and neighbors were regulars at a great many places (Moose, Elk, VFW lodges as well). I always had kids my own age to play with, long as you stayed clear of the bar - no problems.

Its simply not that way anymore in most areas of the U.S., I'm not judging the right or wrong of it, its simply the way it is.

Unless other avenues are developed (soft-tip in arcades, Family sports bars willing too give up -table room, others???) I see the only future star in the U.S coming from College "ranks" - If the sport ever regains popularity (hell they currenly throw bean bags at a plywood circle, ping pong balls at cups and ruberband connected balls at pvc pipes) there has to be hope somewhere ????
    mark
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things need to change:
      1. Enable the sport to be played outside of bars.
      2. Eliminate sponsor fees so you can do so.
    Once this is done the bylaws can be changed to remove the age restriction.

Marketing is relatively easy. If you have a safe place to play then the game has the innate ability to teach a lot - including some heavy duty math skills. And anyone can play on a level field. That's a parent's dream (and yes, I am one).

Now figuring out the economics will be tough.
    Smitty180
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-2 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know Larry I have been shooting darts since I was 9 Years old...And I had some success when I was a youth shooter, but there were far more shooters to compete against in the early 90s. I cherish winning the Area V Playoffs for those trips to the Las Vegas for the Nationals.

My 13 year old son shoots and now my 10 year son wants to start as well. They both couldn't wait until I would let them shoot with me. My 13 year old was one of the shooters competing for one of those spots yesterday. Unfortunately due to the fire we had at our home he hasn't been able to practice for the past month, of course not taking anything away from Larry's boys, they both shot GREAT!

The standard in Youth Darts is the Tidewater Area Darts Assn and what Rocky and The Parkhill Youth Darts has accomplished. Cheers to all of you for supporting the youth shooters of TODAY!
    delfam
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 18 years old, and in my own right a fairly good player, and a very competitive person. I can't seem to find a a place to play since you have to be 21 to play in most areas. Im also in a dart rich area(Philadelphia), and still can't find a place to play.

It's really hard trying to practice for an hour or 2 a day and have no competition, having to what another 3 years to play. Its seems like Im wasting time practicing since I can't play for 3 more years.

If there were more places to play other than bars, I really think It would open up the sport to more of the youth in our country.
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Youths and darts Reply with quote

Shannonmiles wrote:
    Are they the future of the game? They are not in my opinion. The numbers of youths involved with the game are so small that they will be virtually a non factor in the development of the game in years to come.

ONLY in this country. Many players on both the BDO and PDC circuits today are products of youth darts. As with many British youth players though, I was competing in adult leagues by the time I was 13.

Quote:
    I base this last statement on the attendance of the youth regional held in my general area of the country. This year two spots for trips to the Nationals were up for grabs and the turn out was beyond disappointing. Last year was slightly better but still not good by any definition.

As with adult darts in the US, some areas seem better than others. We have a bar in St. Charles, MO - the South 94 Bistro - who are sending SIX players to the Youth Nationals. Wichita has also traditionally been a strong supporter of youth darts.

As you say, one of the big problems though is the leagues themselves - and individuals within those leagues. Okay, some local liquor laws are stricter than others, but it's the attitude of the adults that needs adjustment. Here is one example :

I know of one bar that wanted to start a youth league/clinic, one Sunday every month. They asked for parents and adults to volunteer to help the kids, which many did. These volunteers were then informed that there would be no drinking or smoking in the room where the kids were, so most of the volunteers pulled out. How sad is it when seemingly mature and responsible adults won't make a couple of small concessions - for just a couple of hours a month - in order to help some kids? To my mind, that is absolutely pathetic.

Also and I've asked this before - how pathetic is it when a 20-year can be married with kids, own his own business, and can go and fight - AND DIE - for his country, yet we won't let him play in a local darts league. Kids can race motorcycles at 6 or 7 years of age, but a 20-year old can't play darts, largely because local league players aren't prepared to either :

A) Prepared to take the game out of the bar-room, even on a small scale.

or

B) They're scared of getting beaten by a kid.

If you're good enough, you're old enough...

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    www.adodarts.com/browniesblog/index.php
    mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Youths and darts Reply with quote

chunky wrote:
    how pathetic is it when a 20-year can be married with kids, own his own business, and can go and fight - AND DIE - for his country, yet we won't let him play in a local darts league.

Or legally drink as they could when I was in the service (18+ no matter your home state although I was already "legal"). Some states, like ours, don't even allow underage people in the establishment. It has nothing to do with the league, thank you very much, or those of us who run them.
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Youths and darts Reply with quote

mark wrote:
    Some states, like ours, don't even allow underage people in the establishment. It has nothing to do with the league, thank you very much, or those of us who run them.

You seem to have taken my comments a little personally. As I said, SOME liquor laws are prohibitive, but many - NOT ALL - of the restrictions are imposed by the leagues themselves.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Youths and darts Reply with quote

chunky wrote:
    You seem to have taken my comments a little personally. As I said, SOME liquor laws are prohibitive, but many - NOT ALL - of the restrictions are imposed by the leagues themselves.

No, the post led with the former and finished in a separate segment with only a portion of the latter leaving the impression that the leagues are the ones at fault for imposing this restriction. That is what I disagreed with.

In any case the league mentioned should have known better than to attempt to host the league in a bar irrespective of the support of the so called "adult" supervisors. My kids wouldn't be in a bar for any reason.

That's one reason leagues need to rethink their symbiotic relationship with bars and the players need to rethink the economics surrounding their sport. No one wants to foot the bill yet there is no "gate" - no spectators - to assist.

(Yeah, I'm done with my drivel.)
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I think your league is the perfect type of situation for the paradigm shift needed. A Singles leagues that removes the need for travel to other establishments. Any place could be used as a place to play. It could be a YMCA or a church rec room or one of the players in the brackets basement. If other brackets want to play out of bars that is that brackets choice. As long as the finals are at an all ages venue (which as far as I can see they have always been) I see no reason why that does not work. As far as sponser fees in a non-bar venue I would be more than happy to pay a sponser fee as in the long run would save me hundreds over the course of a season as opposed to 14 weeks of bar tabs.

Last edited by Shannonmiles on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Youths and darts Reply with quote

[quote="mark"]
    chunky wrote:
    In any case the league mentioned should have known better than to attempt to host the league in a bar irrespective of the support of the so called "adult" supervisors.

That is your opinion, and I agree that there are places I wouldn't want children to be. However, if - as in this case - the bar (more of a restaurant/bar, actually) has a totally separate room where the kids can play, and the laws allow it, I see no reason that they shouldn't be in the bar.

Quote:
    My kids wouldn't be in a bar for any reason.

Again, that is your choice, and I respect your opinion, but you shouldn't try and force that opinion on others; ie, that the bar "should have known better". If they are willing to try and do something to help the kids, we shouldn't frown upon that.

As I said, I was playing in pubs at 13, and suffice to say, I wouldn't be where I am today had I been prohibited for entering such establishments. The fact that I was supervised, didn't drink (and I still don't drink now), and generally behaved myself, was - and should be - the reason that it was okay.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannonmiles wrote:
    Mark, I think your league is the perfect type of situation for the paradigm shift needed. A Singles leagues that removes the need for travel to other establishments. Any place could be used as a place to play. It could be a YMCA or a church rec room or one of the players in the brackets basement. If other brackets want to play out of bars that is that brackets choice. As long as the finals are at an all ages venue (which as far as I can see they have always been) I see no reason why that does not work.

That is fine in an ideal world, but we all know that this is far from an ideal world. The problem is the mentality of those individuals I mentioned wh aren't willing to compromise in any way. There is no reason that we shouldn't expand our horizons.

In Europe, we do play in all kinds of establishments, including churches. Remember, the Christian faith does not automatically look upon alcohol as being immoral, and that churches and church clubs are often quite willing to host leagues and tournaments. When I say churches, I mean the actual church itself.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe Canada is a bit different in the since of youth players... yes the numbers are down, Why, Because we dont get the Dedicated Adults to teach them... its a shame, but i see it every year...

As Smitty said ... I do runa youth league, a Very successfull one at that, I took it from 5 players 3 years ago to over 20.. not bad for a small Hick town in the middle of no-where..

This coming fall, i Start my Second youth league in another town near by, with a much bigger population.

The Reason im doing this Second league?.. TO GET MORE KIDS INTO THE SPORT...

I start them at 7 SEVEN years old....When they come to league, they learn the RULEs FIRST before they even pick up a dart.... They Burn them inot their brains... and well.. LEAGUE goes Very well.

Why are there NOt more kids playing?

DEDICATIOn from the adults...very few ppl out there will actually spend 2-3 hours weeekly having patience with youngsters, especially 10-30 of them at a time...

How do we make it that more kids come out?
    Have it MORE FUN.... weekly once the kids get the hang of playing... i give them something to shoot for, one week might be a gift certificate for a local store... $5.00
    next week might be a set of darts....

Anything that would keep them interested in this till they learn well...is it Bribing.. NO, Its encouragement...and Trust me, as a coach that has seen players go from bad to top 5 up at Provincial championships....i know this works.
    I seen the dedication in the kids at tourneys, their First tourney gets them hooked... win or loose, you make it FUN.. you make them laugh, and you teach them to
    Learn to Loose BEFORE the learn to win, if this is followed, you WILL get kids out to play.

I seen coaches come and go already in my short 4 years, and it still astonishes me how Quickly adults get "SICK" of doing it... yes it takes time and effort, but... they also needed to start somewhere too right?

We have Many adult leagues in the area, more then 1000 players, (Not bad for a Relitivily small area (London area), and there Is about 200 kids that play.. now i know there are alot more, but again it takes someone that will WORK with the kids, take the time and TEACH them the RIGHT way of darts.

Thus the reason for the Second youth league.

as for the BARS, we have LEgions here in Canada where the adults AND youth play, These play areas are ALWAYS seperated from the Actuall BAR, and when youth league is on, THERE IS NO BEER in the room... the kids know this and the Parents respect this,

Steven (my 10 year old) and I go to many tourneys in Ontario, we travel everywhere, why, Because The OWNERS of the pubs let him, they know he respects the Rules of the bar or Legion, and has no other thought other then PLAYING DARTS.. So no i dont think the BEER has anything to do with it...its how the Kids are taught , they know it dont take BEER to play the game...

As for behavour, MY youth league know, they HAVE to have the upmost Sportsmanship for the game AND the players... no sportsmanship, no play.. this will in turn will create Great players and lie away from the DRUNKEN BAR GAME!

Guarentee to the Parents, there will be NO beer served in the youth league or in the room, and you will get the parents repect for it.

These volunteers were then informed that there would be no drinking or smoking in the room where the kids were, so most of the volunteers pulled out. How sad is it when seemingly mature and responsible adults won't make a couple of small concessions - for just a couple of hours a month - in order to help some kids? To my mind, that is absolutely pathetic

You nailed it.. it is pathetic.... This is why I myself run these league, Some parents come in to help the odd Time, but really, what would it take for the few hours?... Parents to get off there asses and help... They do it for Hockey.. soccer, football... Darts.... Just as much stamina needed... We need to Drill it inot the parents brains this is good for the kids...

Example, My sons Math skills,, went from a D- first year, to this year, A...
    another youth player....Started, he was the Bully of the town, he was asked to come by a friend, he came, it took me 5 months, but youknow what, He comes home Every night, gets his homeowrk DONE, his chores, and is Ready for Wednesday night darts... his school average, UP 4 Marks....bullieng no more...

Its not only the Sport of Darts, its EVERYTHING that goes with it... if the parents would see this, i think they would be more willing to let them play.. ITs up to US, the adults, to show this... and to the youth players, to get more of thier Friends in to it..

I could go on for ever on this, Well. Cause its MY passion, to get as many youth players as possible playing... If Next year, our new league has went well, i will more on to another area and start one hter... if i have to do this in Every town in the area, i will.. THIS IS WHAT IS NEEDED!

ok, post over.. my fingers are sore!
    Smile

You want more kids in the game, it might take ONE at a time, but eventually it WILL increase .... I have first hand knowldge of this...

I am 3 months Before league will start, and already i have 23 kids wanting to join, thats just word of mouth... Wait till i get the advertising going...
    Steven Ringer Wilcox, #1 WDF RANKED YOUTH IN NORTH AMERICA...WAY TO GO STEVEN
    calebjkeen
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before drinking regularly in a bar with 3 boards and an in-house league I only saw a dartboard in use once in my entire life -- I was eight, and my neighbor ("Mr. Lee") had one up in his garage. It was a Budweiser board, he drank Budweiser, and I hit a bullseye on my first dart. He choked on his beer. I didn't throw a dart again for 16 years.

In the absence of a parent who plays darts regularly and seriously enough to practice at home (like Mr. Miles) young people will simply never see darts being played or develop an interest in playing. It's not an activity that is in the public eye or marketed to young people in the United States.

I think that for darts to become appealing to youth in America a cue should be taken from the Japanese. That means the future of darts in the US is soft-tip. The game is a compromise between video games (flashing lights, video monitors with stats ala RPG video games and World of Warcraft, White Horses running across the screen etc.) and the darts that most of us know and love (steel tip). Also, imagine being able to carry around an ID card with your personal data on it, sliding it into a coin-op soft tip machine, and having your PPD average pop up on screen. Imagine having your opponent do the same and going head-to-head on a machine that updates your stats on a database that encompasses every machine in the country (like Golden Tee), a stats database you can link to your Facebook page etc. etc. etc.

Crucially, soft-tip also provides it's own revenue stream independent of alcohol so that arcades or other kinds of business can install units and make money without having to sell booze to makeup the difference. These units can go into any kind of establishment that has the space. Revenue sharing plans can be updated as with the arcade business in Japan (you can get a unit for free if you split the take 50/50 with the distributor over the life of the unit, maintenance costs covered by the distributor etc.).

I could go on and on (especially about the way darts is marketed in Japan specifically to youth and in relation to a youth culture). In fact, I will. What if your local Starbucks had an Arachnid machine in the corner and people got hopped-up on espresso and played darts instead of reading SEWA on their laptops or the day's paper? OK, Starbucks would never have darts in their place but you can see what I mean -- an "arcade" only with darts and smoothies and whatnot. A place people of all ages could go and compete. Soft-tip provides a means to do so, steel tip does not.

For anyone who hasn't done so, check out the Japanese dart makers websites and their marketing. It appeals to status-conscious youngsters, gets them hooked on the game and the darts/accessories that go with them and...there you go. A profitable business and an interest in darts.

My two cents. Darts in America is marketed as a low-brow, bar-room activity and will continue to be perceived as such. Young people, by and large and independent of parents who can show them that it's more than that, want no part of that so it won't ever be popular with youth.

Spiel ends.

P.s.

www.9darts.tv

Follow the links to the various Japanese darts manufacturers. Tell me that stuff wouldn't fly with 16 year-olds.

Last edited by calebjkeen on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Rocky.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    calebjkeen
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky wrote:

These volunteers were then informed that there would be no drinking or smoking in the room where the kids were, so most of the volunteers pulled out. How sad is it when seemingly mature and responsible adults won't make a couple of small concessions - for just a couple of hours a month - in order to help some kids? To my mind, that is absolutely pathetic

You alleviate if not completely abolish this problem by giving people an incentive to create an environment in which darts can be played without smoking/drinking (admittedly, two of my favorite things to do while darting) by adopting the model currently used by the Japanese. Age limits are not an issue in this situation.

In order to accomplish this there must, I repeat MUST, be a monetary incentive to do so. Coin-op dart machines are the only way that I can think of accomplish this end. Sad as it may seem, the prospect of making a profit will do a ton more legwork than a search for volunteers.

If someone could open a "Darts Arcade" for less than 100 grand of overhead and sell candy/soda/smoothies/has 12 professional Arachnid machines on a rental-type contract w/ nation-wide system integration...well. You won't need volunteers. You'll have a place you won't mind dropping your kid off for a couple hours while you shop, and then throwing a few at once your finished.
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calebjkeen wrote:
    Rocky wrote:

You alleviate if not completely abolish this problem by giving people an incentive to create an environment in which darts can be played without smoking/drinking (admittedly, two of my favorite things to do while darting) by adopting the model currently used by the Japanese. Age limits are not an issue in this situation.

In order to accomplish this there must, I repeat MUST, be a monetary incentive to do so. Coin-op dart machines are the only way that I can think of accomplish this end. Sad as it may seem, the prospect of making a profit will do a ton more legwork than a search for volunteers.

If someone could open a "Darts Arcade" for less than 100 grand of overhead and sell candy/soda/smoothies/has 12 professional Arachnid machines on a rental-type contract w/ nation-wide system integration...well. You won't need volunteers. You'll have a place you won't mind dropping your kid off for a couple hours while you shop, and then throwing a few at once your finished.

I do give incentive, i give a Great venue to play, and I do have more kids out, i push all the marketing i can to get kids out, and well, it works up here, Soft tip is NOT an option here in Canada, NEVER seen a st machine, and probley wont, i have no issues getting kids out, its all in the marketing of the game . It takes time, but it works!
    JinRI
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 12 year old who, if a place existed outside my livingroom or his bedroom, I'm sure would play competitively. He's a very competitive kid, and can sometimes be like the John McEnroe of his little league team when he's not playing well.

There are a ton of billiards parlors that are kid friendly. It would be nice if some in our area would sacrifice a wall and a couple tables to make room for boards. Maybe, it wouldn't be lucrative enough - like empty tables are money-makers. When I take one of my sons to shoot some pool at "Chalks", for instance, there might be a total of 3 tables being used. I think there is 12-15 tables there... not sure.
    Olys45
    Private

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,

I hate it when the FNG bumps a long dead thread, but I have one question to ask... what would be the youngest age for a youth player?

My Daughter is turning 7 this week and she has been chucking darts at the 'ol board more off than on for the past 2 years, but I finally got her to throw at a regulation height board, but I am working at her distance.

Are there any books or resources to help me help her along?

Thanks,
    Oly
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i start my league players off at 7, including my 7 year old daughter, shoot me your addy in a pm and i will send youa book that may help you, but the best teacher of all is YOU.....
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 weeks ago, went to youth provincials, 400+ Kids there only less the a 1/4 of their parents play darts, So that thery is out, this past weekend went to Legion event, Sponsored by the legion another 200 youth players, most parents dont play... again out with that thery...i

If everyone keeps pushing the Drinking and darts, and if thats ALL the kids hear, how do you expect them Not to grow up with it.. all they hear is from the adults, HEy lets go have a drink and play darts.. Funny, I DONT drink when playing.... there are TONS of us out there... dont put it down yet.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am envious of the success of the various Youth Leagues around the country. In the North East there seems to be zero interest in Youth Darts. The successful Youth leagues with exception of our Canadian friends seem to be below the Mason/Dixon line. It must be something in the water. Here in the North East we have one of the largest dart leagues in the world. I’m fairly sure it is the largest in the USA by a large margin. However, we can not seem to get even casual interest in youth darts. The ADO area director does a great job promoting, raising money and holding qualifiers for the Youth players to be rewarded for his efforts by having only a handful of participants show up. He and other great players take time out of their tournament weekends to get up early and support/mentor the kids. I am truly baffled by the lack of interest shown by local darters in getting there own kids involved in this great game. After attending the VA Classic it is OBVIOUS to me that kids enjoy this game. The Youth venue was PACKED all weekend. In my view it is a shame that this is not the case at every tournament. Rant over. Continue with your regularly scheduled programming………

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: