· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Help choosing a dart board (part 2)
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Help choosing a dart board (part 2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tools of the Trade
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Dart Board i should buy?
    DMI/Puma Bandit
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Unicorn Eclipse Pro
    60%
     60%  [ 6 ]
    Winmau Blade III
    40%
     40%  [ 4 ]
    Total Votes : 10

kurdt_the_goat
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Help choosing a dart board (part 2) Reply with quote

Hey guys! I just joined up here, i notice there is another thread like this, but it was getting a bit old so i thought i'd spark up this discussion again.

I know i could probably wait until Erik posts his final analysis of the best boards on the market but... well i can't wait! Razz

My interest in darts was recently invigorated cause my dad got a decent set-up for Christmas. So i've been researching dart boards for a purchase of my own.

First it was the Puma/DMI Bandit - i saw the 'official world cup board' and thought it must be the best! Then i found the high quality boards, Unicorn Eclipse Pro which get's major props here and elsewhere - and is also an official board of some sorts! And finally the Winmau Blade III which too is official in some manner!

Now i've seen a Bandit and Eclipse in person and i must say, i prefered the look of the Eclipse and could see the Bandit's blades weren't matching up perfectly in some cases. So i thought i'd get an Eclipse...

Then i found what i think is the only local *purely* darts retailer in my area, and they only stock Winmau - claiming they have the most success with them, but also owning up to not being able to get Unicorns wholesale locally (I guess the big sports stores import them). Actually, this store only has Blade II's until June, when they'll start stocking Blade III's, so if i decide on that one, there'll be a wait as i haven't seen them anywhere else.... yet.

So basically, i need everyone here's opinions! What should i do? They're all about the same price and I want the best. I might not *be* the best player(!), but i can't stand bounce-outs and i'd rather spend the money on a board that will last and be a joy to play on.

I know i probably can't go wrong with any of these really, but please humour me and provide your opinions! If there's some amazing board i'm somehow overlooking, please tell me!
    Thanks heaps in advance!
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read my comparrison test results on the main page, you'll see that I would by the Eclipse Pro first.

However, the DMI bandit is a good board but Unicorns Eclipse Pro just looks, feels and plays better in my opinion.

Also, the PDC World Championships are played on the Eclipse Pro.

The BDO World Championships are played on the NODOR Supamatch.

Erik
    Ramses
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Eclipse Pro should be in tomorrow. I'll be able to give a better informed opinion then.

Tell the friggin' UPS guy to hurry up!!!

I thought the BDO used the Blade III now. I know they used Winmau boards for years, the Blade II (which I own) being the last one used (damned good board, too...have absolutely no complaints about it).

Hunter
    kurdt_the_goat
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erik! I read the comparison.. can't wait for the rest of it!

But ... any opinion on the Blade II/III yet.. or haven't you played on one? According to the Winmau site (which stubbornly refuses to work in any modern browser for me), it's used at The Lakeside World Championships and Winmau World Masters.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...thought I heard the NODOR Supamatch was used there...let me check Smile

I'll let you know shortly.

In the meantime, I am still waiting on NODOR/WINMAU to get the Supamatch and the Blade III so can't comment on those yet.
    Erik
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FROM WINMAU (NODOR):
    The Blade III, and Winmau have been the exclusive approved board of the BDO
    for approx 30 years.

I was mistaken!
    Erik
    Ramses
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurdt,

Regarding an opinion on the Blade II:

I can say (though I have limited experience with boards) that after owning two Nodor Supawires and one Blade II that the Blade II was exceptionally durable and has the potential to outlast both of the Nodor boards that I had.

The average lifespan of each Nodor board I owned was about 8-9 months. I'm on my 8th month with my Blade II and it easily has another 5-6 months left in it...possibly more.

Keep in mind, however, that I don't play much cricket in order to squeeze more life from the bull and the board, in general. I have been utterly happy with the board.

I am expecting an Eclipse Pro tomorrow and am confident that it will live up to the high marks that other owners have given it. And, as Mr. Lowy of Unicorn frequents this site often to answer questions, the loyalty of Unicorn's customers, and the overall quality of their products I'm quickly becoming a convert!

Hunter
    digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a standard Eclipse, but I've ordered a Pro as well and expecting it soon, too.

The Blade and Eclipse are pretty much equal in all respects, but I chose the Eclipse for aesthetic reasons because as Erik said, it just looks like a dartboard should.

I don't know about anyone else but when I turn my board, I don't like looking at big logo letters. It psychology throws me off balance because I'm thinking the T20 should be a few segments over because that's where the logo is located.

Not so with the Eclipse. The letters are very low profile, so when you turn it the logo doesn't stand out. I know, it's not much, but there you go.

Once you play on a Unicorn, nothing else seems the same.
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played on a Eclipse Pro at a tourney not long ago and loved it. I generally have 5-6 bounces outs in the 9 - 10 legs on most boards, but on the Pro I had none in 8 legs.

I wanted to purchase the Pro for our team board, but they were out of stock. We needed new boards in the worst way so we bought the Supra wire Nordors and I have been very happy with it.

Hopefully I will be able to buy a Pro as my home board.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As DT, pointed out, the Eclipses are indeed almost bounce-free.

The only time I do get a bounce out is when I hit the number ring or get a robin-hood off one of my darts.
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre buying this for a practice board you might consider the boards with half sized double and trip rings. I played on one several times in the past and it really does get your game tuned in. I really enjoy playing on those.

I have a little comparo going on at the bar, I set up board one, a Nodor Supawire and board two, a Londoner - both on the same day. As the tournaments progress I have been paying close attention to how the players like the boards, how well they are holding up etc...

So far the Londoner is holding up better as far as longevity, however the majority of players like the diamond wire set up on the Nodor as they are getting less bounce outs. As the tournament director and the one purchasing the boards for the bar, in the past I have stuck with the Londoner since it tends to last longer. With the Nodor gaining an edge with the players that might change I guess.

My humble opinion is that if I were to get used to the diamond wire set up, what happens when I get to a tourney that doesnt have them? What if I started unconciously wiring darts into the trips by habit and showed up on a different board only to have my darts bouncing back at me frequently?

As a player who throws at both the Nodor and the Londoner each week, I have noticed I tend to start throwing a little closer together on the diamond wire set up as opposed to staying focussed on the target area and not wiring the dart. Just some thoughts to consider.
    PaulS
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One negative on the Bandit board that I haven't seen mentioned recently is that the sisal seems kind of compacted. The points don’t penetrate as well as on a Unicorn or Nodor board. If you throw a light dart with smooth points and tuned to hit the board at level or sligntly flight down, the darts will tend to fall out of the board. Not good of course. Some people say to just keep your points roughened up with a stone, but I don't think you should have to do that.

Paul S.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tools of the Trade All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: