· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Do you drink....
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Do you drink....
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    ClownBaby
    Private

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that having a couple or a few takes the edge off and in the end makes you more relaxed and comfortable. I like being stoned when I show up, having a shot of Patron, few beers, more patron, more beer, and a shot a patron to celebrate or sulk after the last match.
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to drink for social reasons and to take the edge off, but I no longer drink for health reasons. So now I do a little relaxation drills during practice and matches. It seems to have helped.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Pepsidiltz
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a drinker, plan and simple. I like to drink beer! I have a few warming up at home on the practise board, and then I have a few before the match down at the bar. It helps get my pre-game jitters out of my system, which I am still shocked I get. I guess its because I am competative. I drink till I get that good buzz, and then pase myslef through the rest of the match. Afterwards, make sure its a stubble home.

At tourney's I drink to be social, and try not to drink too much there as well. Maybe 12 throughout the course of the whole day, so I still have my edge, but I feel loose at the same time.
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only when a drink is put in front of me. For some reason, everytime I walk by the bar, the bartender is handing me a beer????? Laughing Laughing
    Seriously, if you are sponsored by a bar, there is a business reason behind it. It's not because the owner likes to see you're smiling faces every week.
    It's to hopefully bring in more "PAYING" cutomers. I am not saying you should pick up drinking, but it is a slap in the face if all you do is sip on a coffee all night. Buy a side plate, or plan you're dart night, where you eat dinner there before the match.
    A team should show the owner that they are thankful for having a place to play. Remember, a happy sponsor, will ususlly equal a happy team.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do drink the 2 times the wife and I go out a week. I shouldn't, I know it. And thats all I have to say about that.
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say get stumbling drunk Laughing Laughing Laughing you could buy soda's or like I have done on occassion, mix 1/2 grapefruit, and 1/2 cranberry juice together. It makes for a tastey little drink. Now I don't do this very often, but I have been known to do it once in a while. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Presently not playing
    Skydiverjj
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink at all, cause I can't drink socially at all. The cops seem to show up everytime I drink, so towards the end of my boozing career I just took a case of beer and a bottle of rum to the cop shop and drank there.

Cop would come out and ask me what I thought I was doing? I told him I was saving everybody time, gas, money, wear and tear on vehicles and personal property. Plus I didn't need to do any field sobriety test.

Call me Darth Balls.

Those who dance are often considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
    magoo
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to drink, not anymore -
    SOUPR
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real good one. I started out not drinking and have played this way for almost 20 years. For me the choice is to drink when I want not that I need. Seems there are many that I know that can't hit the board with out several drinks down. I think it goes as to how you started your playing, sober or with .
    Andrew Campbell
    Isaac
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good one. I started only playing socially at the pub. Then I started playing a bit at the office with co-workers (and I was mostly sober at work). The past six months or so I felt really drawn towards darts and when I started going out 5 nights a week to play darts, and every dart night meant I'd get drunk, it caught up with me pretty quick. Now I mostly have a few lagers throughout a dart night rather than the 6-7 IPAs I used to. It helps my wallet and allows me to go out more, but not sure that it really helps my game one way or another. I guess I remember the good games more, but also remember the bad games better...

Reality for mingling dreams to scurry back and get in line.
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
    Shaunk
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well everyone in the dart team i play in drinks lol i think im the only one that stays on coke i never drink cose i believe it would inhibit my game the same as evaluation aprehention does
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Pace seems to only get better with more and more alcohol in his system. I do better with 3 or 4 beers in me in the course of a couple of hrs... then try to just maintain that over a long day. Calms my nerves. There is a line for me... I cross it and I start really stinking.
    HeRoDaRtS
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually buy between 4-5 beers plus my free house round and i occassionaly get a few handed to me from teammates thats when we play at home but unlike the rest of my team i can see my house from out the bars window...ie. 2 blocks away plus i somtimes eat dinner there too just to try and support the bar that supports us....away games are hit or miss most bars we play at are 5-10 minutes away but one bar is 45 minutes each way not super far but when your leaving the bar at 12:45 on a tuesday nite you tend to attract unwanted attention so when we are there 2 beers at most ...plus i aint much of a beer guy but im not gunna start to tip a bottle on a tuesday either....

co-capt- TWO GUNS UP"spring 2010"
    Grey_Owl
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont drink when I play in league or tournament play. The rationale is that I dont want to be in a state that I cannot control or duplicate on my own. Theory being that when I get to a place in my game where I am at my best I want to be able to understand it and recreate it ... just like my throw when I group the darts tightly.

Now .. here is the odd note ... when I practice at home ... I drink ... not too lose my nerves but because I enjoy a nice dark rum or Gibson's Finest 12 year old rye. It keeps me not thirsty, not hungry and rewarded for doing my daily practice regime.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle. ~Author Unknown
    Olys45
    Private

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I lived down here in 'ol Cowtown both the wife and I played on a team and if the bar offered it, we would eat, I would usually drink to get a buzz and she would have one or maybe two before she would switch to water or a Pop.

This time around, I work the Mid-Shift (Third or 11pm to 8am or so) so there is no legal way to drink before work. Heck, I cannot even stay for a whole night of Darts, I have to make sure I am out the door around 9:30 so I can get home to change to go to work! The home bar that this team throws out of sells the Monster Energy drinks and has a menu, so I at least have a Monster, maybe some food and make sure I tip well and when I settle up my tab, I remind the barkeep and waitress that I gotta get running to go to work.

If I attend the Friday night Blind Draw, I start the night with a beer, maybe some food and then my Monster before I switch to the iced tea. When people offer to buy me a beer, I politely refuse and tell them that I have to drive onto base housing (I'm in the USAF) so it is a face to face encounter with a Cop to get to my house.

Cheers,
    Oly
    YoungDrtr
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink for social reasons or to help my game. I just drink cause I love drinkin'! Laughing
    alex027
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YoungDrtr wrote:
    I don't drink for social reasons or to help my game. I just drink cause I love drinkin'! Laughing

Well put. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    psycosteve
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YoungDrtr wrote:

I usually start with a pitcher of yuengling while warming up and have one or two pints during each of the matches, I call it my liquid aim. I would have to say that if I was not shooting in my league I would be drinking at the bar so it all works out except the hangover in the morning .
    Joker78
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slight case of social anxiety so I drink to calm myself and kinda make the other people disappear. Very Happy
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycosteve wrote:
    YoungDrtr wrote:

I usually start with a pitcher of yuengling while warming up and have one or two pints during each of the matches, I call it my liquid aim. I would have to say that if I was not shooting in my league I would be drinking at the bar so it all works out except the hangover in the morning .

PA or NJ? There is a clue in there Wink
    munchie
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic of discussion. Yes, my wife and I drink when we play darts and its more a social and appreciation thing than we need to. Also, where can you go these days and spend 20 bucks for a good time with friends. We never drink more than 3 beers each and most the time only 1 each. The appreciation part is the bar owner who makes his living selling libations. In our case we have several owners who supply us a place to play, give us new boards , prize money and support for tournaments. If they can do this for us then I can surely buy a few beers.
    Chitown599

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker78 wrote:
    I have a slight case of social anxiety so I drink to calm myself and kinda make the other people disappear. Very Happy

Now I know what I have, and why I drink, lol.
    Presently not playing
    davidsproull
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be personal choice either way. Nobody should be shocked if a dart player likes to have a couple of pints, nor think less of them if they dont.

Now as for me, I have been finding a few pints between games, but drinking water during games works nicely.

That being said, I have started as of tonight not drinking at all on league nights as I want to save up some money to buy my Wife a set of Jeff Pickup customs.

I am very glad to do that for her, but for the love of ... what a horrible night of darts!!

Plan B might to have a tipple at home before setting out and then drink pop once at the game.

People will of course say i shouldn't 'need' a beer and well maybe once Im a lot better and a lot more confident, but until then....
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, I'm having a tough time with this anymore.

On one hand I want to give something to the bar for having me there, on the other hand I don't want to drink pop or for that matter anything else when at darts now.

The last two league nights I've ordered a Jack and Diet Coke and then milked it all night and left without finishing it.

I feel it's important to support the bar, that's why they let us play there, but on the other hand I feel the bar ought to offer something for everyone too -- so the non drinkers ought to have some options.

Erik
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a comment on Fb the othr day and all i posyed was " why do u Need to.drink.to play"

Man did that stirr up the crap!
    persinal.choice i guess realy

i dont drink while playing...but that may also be attributed to me teachung youth payers and having any there..and just sicking with that!
    Steven Ringer Wilcox, #1 WDF RANKED YOUTH IN NORTH AMERICA...WAY TO GO STEVEN
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Page 2 of 3

Jump to: