· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Length of tournaments
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Length of tournaments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

PLEASE READ POST FIRST: What is your preference?
    Traditional US 2 day tournaments?
    59%
     59%  [ 16 ]
    Traditional US 3 day tournaments?
    40%
     40%  [ 11 ]
    Total Votes : 27

TrainerR77
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Length of tournaments Reply with quote

I was at a 3 day tournament this weekend and today (Monday) I am extremely exhausted. The tournament was about an hour away from home and I didnt get home until 9:30 last night. Granted we stopped and ate dinner, but we couldnt eat at the venue bc they stopped serving food. The reason they make this a 3 day tourney is because there are added events....an open double 501 friday night (still have mens and ladies double 501 over the weekend) and both mixed triples and doubles.

They also play a league challenge on Friday night, a challenge to another league Saturday night, and youth events Sunday morning in addition to all other events. (personally move all events not open to any darter to Sunday and let the rest of us go home is my thought).......the other issue is this tournament hardly ever runs on time.....the last event (Mens/Womens Single Cricket) was supposed to start at 2:30/3:00 and I dont believe we did until after 4....my friend took top 8 in womens and we left right after she lost and it was after 7....there were less than 32 ladies in the bracket.....

So I dont want this to veer off topic (though I can see how it might) to tourney format (ie, changing from best of three to RR, or decreasing number of events and the such)......I was just wondering if people preferred the traditional US 2 day tournaments or prefer the US 3 day tournaments?

RIP Mikey....I will truly miss you.

Wink Rhonda
    hooley
    Chief Gunner
    Chief Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personel opinion is it doesn't matter to me , I never play on Sunday's anyways , by the time I wake up from my stuper I've already misse a few , but as for the times , this happens at every tourny I've just started to grin and bear it , it's a shame but you have people that wonder off - go to there rooms - at the bar - don't hear there names , I was at the Port City and my 1st round we called the guys name 4 times before they made him forfeit....The best tourney run tourny I've been to is the Great Wide Open , there times are usually right on , even though this year they got alot more shooters they still did a great job...
    catfish
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been after a number of events reduction since the beginning of time. The wall you run into is the tournament directors who refuse to let the opportunity to make money for the event instead of for the players, not cut any events.
    This is the thought behind the singles series. Play more darts, Play less events, have more money and chances to win it for only 1 entry fee.
    If you shoot well and make the finals, Sunday can end up being a 50 + leg day and you will only play 4 matches. Nice thing is you can sleep in cause it don't start till noon. The consolation round starts at 10:30 for the last chance for gas money to get home on for playing the tournament.
    Those days of starting at 8:30 AM with the Adult/Youth shoot and ending at 5:15AM with the 4 person are long gone. Then used to really like the Mixed doubles at 10:30 on Sunday morning after all this if there was not already another youth event that needed adults Sunday morning.
    Dreadnaught
    ADO Top 25
    ADO Top 25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Tournament Structures Reply with quote

I was talking this over with a few guys in Texas yesterday, and I really would like to see at least one change in the way most tournaments are structured.

It's difficult to justify traveling to tournaments when the events are based on a) a short format, b) an emphasis on doubles, and c) unseeded. I understand the need for all the events we play, and aside from the competitive aspeacts, I really enjoy blind draws and trips and 4 person and mixed doubles (if I can find a girl that is). But for the singles, I'm not sure we promote the game as we should.

The problem is that there is seldom an effort made to create an atmosphere that allows the best players on any given day to exhibit their best game in a way that everyone can see. When the men's final is played on Sunday, other events are going on, and most of the eliminated players--tired from the 20 or so hours they've already played--are heading for the exits. I haven't played anywhere near as many finals as Darin or Johnny or Gary or Isen or Brad or Ray or Bill, but I must say, there's something weird about casting about for someone to chalk the final, and trying to make yourself heard over the sound of the tournament folks begining to tear down the other boards.

Obviously, it isn't this way all the time, but wouldn't it be nice to extend the format of the men's singles, maybe raise the entry fee 25%, and hold the final four or eight while stopping all the other events for an hour? Give everyone a chance to patronize the buffet or the bar and give everyone a bit of a show? Say, schedule the final 8 for between 5 and 6:20 saturday afternoon. Give everyone the opportunity to cheer the locals having the best day, or see what some of the touring players are really all about. Let Bill or Darin provide some inspiration to the ambitious beginner, or remind some of the veterans of how much fun a big match can be. I can't think of a match I enjoyed watching more than the first tournament I saw, when I ended up sitting next to Jimmy Damore as he explained what was happening on the board. Wouldn't something like that help grow a tournament, and darts in general?

Ours is such an obscure sport, but I don't think it has to be. I've seen some fantastic--World Class--play in some of the tournaments I've attended, and I think everyone would enjoy watching the top players strut their stuff if they actually had the chance...
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a traditional two-day event, however with a Friday night blind draw for those that arrive early (or the diehards).

In other words, I don't want any event that COUNTS (i.e., a singles event or a bring) to be on Friday. If I want to play for fun, fine, but if I choose to skip Friday's events, it shouldn't hurt.

Going farther... I feel that there should be three "real" events on Saturday (some type of mixed event, plus singles and doubles). Feel free to tack on some kind of fun event late - just make it not count like I mentioned above for Fridays. On Sunday there should only be two events that count (one singles and one doubles) with the final event getting people out of there in time to make their flights or drive home at a decent time (plus this gives the people running the event time to break everything down). Note that the tournament MAY have more events than what I listed, however I'm not counting mens and ladies' or consolation events separately.
    darter180
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today’s problem is not the Friday blind draw. I know there are a lot more dart players in this country today than there were in the late 70’s and early 80’s, but dart tournaments were growing in leaps and bounds back then. In 1982 there were approximately 17 $20,000+ tournaments that were growing each year. Most were backed and run by local leagues. In each of those tournaments, however there were at least 5 less events than in any tournament today. One doubles, and one singles event per sex, a mixed, and maybe a four person team event, and of course the blind draw opener on Friday. Tournaments back then typically paid down to top 8 or 16 below $20,000, top 16 to 32 in $20,000, and only the $30,000 to $50,000 tournaments paid down to 64 places. It was great, you had time to play all the events, sleep 8 hours a night, and even eat.
    Those tournaments had much better turn outs than today’s. It was not uncommon for a tournament director to negotiate the hall for free and a percentage of the bar, The hotels were happy to do that because the numbers were so high that the bar was huge. The North American, and Windy City would have in excess of 600 singles entries back then. It wasn’t perfect, they didn’t understand (what seems to be common knowledge with the promoters of every other sport I can think of) that to have the sport recognized, they need to have their top players recognized. But they never started seeding, and like it still is today, the top players played each other in the first round way too often.
    I have heard a lot of people claim that soft tip is the reason for the downfall in steel tip tournaments. That is simply not true, the event schedule and payout structure are responsible for the decline in steel tip tournaments. With a more enticing schedule and payout structure (something to play for) the soft tip darter would simply be another participant.
    I also agree that a longer format for the singles (if only from the top 8 on) would also entice more players to participate
    TalkShowHost
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the 2 day tournaments with the luck on Friday night. My only complaint is it seems that the Womens Cricket Event always seems to be the last event of the weekend which is my favorite event, and by that time I'm pretty wiped (my own fault of course). I agree completely w/ Ethiopian that there should be more fanfare surrounding the Final Events of BOTH the Women's and Men's Events. Not only would that create acknowledgment of the fine players that made it that far, it also creates excitement at the event of rooting for local players etc ., and gives darters the anticipation and motivation that they can also "someday" play in the finals Smile

Jenny Jones
    travislj
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a two-day event, But a Friday night blind draw is
    cool for the peeps that can get in early Friday.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: