· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Match under protest
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Match under protest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Tubby
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Match under protest Reply with quote

I am the president of a small steel tip league in North Western PA. In the 20 plus years we have never had a match go under protest. Until last week. Actually, I am not really sure what is allowed to be protested. Does any ones league have a set boundary of what can be protested?

Im sure someone had some matches protested at some point. and it there are specific things that can cause a protest is it just that game in question or the whole match?

The details of the match are sorta long and I will get into them later if needed I wanted to start out with what can cause a protest and how they are handled.

thanks
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    C. Protests - a protest may be filed with the Board for any irregularities of interpretation of the SEWADL By-Laws and Policies by the Board
    D. Complaints - a complaint must be taken to Divisional Representative. The Divisional Rep will bring complaint to the Board by any member of the SEWADL for misconduct of another member.

Sec.3: Procedures
    A. If an irregularity occurs during a match, the opposing member or acting representative must be informed that the match is being played under protest from that point on. The protest of that match MUST be noted on ALL copies of the score sheet.
    B. A member wishing to file a complaint or protest (Complainant) against another member, officer, or decision of the Board (Defendant), must submit the complaint or protest in writing through the Divisional Rep to the President within 48 hours of the occurrence.
    C. The Defendant(s) and Sponsor of the Defendant shall be notified of the complaint or protest by the President.
    D. Complainant(s) and Defendant(s) must be notified of the time and place for a hearing by he board.
    E. ONLY Board members, Defendant(s), and Complainant(s) may be present at the hearing.
    F. The Complainant(s) and Defendant(s) shall have the right to present their side to the board.
    G. Failure of the Defendant(s) to appear at the hearing shall be considered as a 'plea of no contest' and the Board shall act upon the evidence before it.
    H. Action of the Board must be finalized within two (2) weeks of receipt of the written protest by the Complainant(s).
    I. A written notice of the judgment and action of the Board shall be sent to the Defendant(s) and Complainant(s).

That was our leagues rule.
    Tubby
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So anything can be protested no matter how minor?
    Tubby
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will try and describe what happened.

Team P
    Player C
    Player T

Team V
    Player S
    Player B

This was the first and 2nd place teams playing. It was obviously a heated match.
    Team V was playing at Team P

The tavern is a divided in half with maybe a foot rise going to the half where the dart area is. From the toe line to the board along the right hand side there is a small landing.

Team V won all 4 matches

Cricket
    Team P won first match
    Team V won second match and that was were the problem arose.

It was a very close game.
    team P needed 2buls to close one bull to score and a single 18 to close
    Team V needed 2 bulls

player C from Team P hit bull bull and single 18 and celebrated because he thought he won. The score keeper explained to him he needed points.

Player S from Team V went to the line to throw. in the process player C went back to the score keeper to verify the point issue. he then walked back to the said landing area to the right of the toe line between it and the board. Player S regrouped for his throw when Player C walked by him on the right back to the score keeper to discuss again. This happened 2 more times with player S backing of the line 4 times to throw. Player C then went over to the landing and stood there. Player S was mad and thought player C was doing it intentionally and player S missed his bulls and went over onto the exact same landing in the exact same spot and stood there looking at the line. Player T for team p then missed his bull and player b for team v hit 2 bulls to win.

Then player C and T came unglued and told player S he deliberately stood on the landing in player T line of sight to distract him and that caused him to miss. Player S argued that player C made him go the line 4 times intentionally to distract him and he only stood right were player C stood against him. And that player C also stood there during 301 and it was very distracting.

Then a prolonged shouting match occured and team p filed a protest of unsportsmanlike conduct on player S.

Team P wants to replay the whole match.

Player S admitted standing there on purpose because he thought player C was screwing with him.

In my opinion this never should have happened.
    Player S should have mentioned the distraction in 301 or atleast waited or asked player C to move before his bull shot.

If player S was distracting player T has he states he should have never thrown his bull shot with out waiting for player S to move or asking him to move. I feel player T wanted to hit and and then bring the issue up as a AHA moment, you screwed with me and I still one. and if he did hit the bull the protest would never have been done.

They were both in the wrong and both let it escalate out of control.

Now the captains are player S and PLayer C. They tried to discuss afterwards to resolve but It was more shouting by C then anything else and player T would not let them talk without putting his 2 cents in by mostly yelling.

In a situation like this I feel the first 5 matches should never be replayed since the where finished.
    as far as the 501 matches after.
    Team p won first
    Team V one second

So the argument that they were pissed/mad what ever after the 2nd cricket doesnt matter since they won the first 501.

so if anything maybe a forfeit by team S in the 2nd cricket but again they were both at fault and I dont Think player B should be penalized for the others actions.

And team P wants a compete rematch because even with a forfeit of the 2nd cricket they still lost the match.

I just wasn't sure in any protest:
    does the whole match get replayed?
    just the game in protest get replayed or forfeited?
    penalty points accessed?

just curious for future protests if there ever are any.
    Mervyn
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly was the player discussing with the scorer ? the amount scored ? then it's too late once the darts are pulled, or was it just the math ? it should not take that many discussion to figure that out.

The score wasn't tied after player "C" shot was it ?

You would have to refer to your own rules in regards to wether or not this can be protested.

As far as replaying matches if you go that route, at most I would only have them replay the match in question, with a member of the Board present to observe it if possible.

Another option is to simply void that game and remove any points given to players and teams for that match, both players are clearly guilty of bad sportsmanship.
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first player, player C I believe, acted inappropriately however the next player didn't immediately protest.

In this case if it came before out board (when I was running a league) I would have tossed the match and given the win to the 3rd team.

In my eyes both teams acted wrong and the issue should have been resolved in an adult and sportsmanlike fashion. Had player 2 pretested immediately (which is his right) and kept his cool then either he would have won or would have had a valid claim to the board if player C (the first one) had lost his cool.

One way or another people have to learn to act like adults.
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Match should have been stopped before the next throw..and both capts ONLY should have had a private conference to resolve.

Players should not stand in front of the line..ever. However, had match been stopped and conference of capts been held it wouldn't have had time to happen.

The player interjecting in the capts conference should have been told immediately to leave the area.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Tubby
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a meeting with the captains, and I believe things worked out. Player C really thought he won and was trying to make sure before player S threw his darts. Player S apologized and it was the heat of the moment that got him.

However a serious question arose that I did not have an answer for.

I believe at tournaments there is some set rule on how close the boards can be together. (I am thinking 2 feet between but not 100% sure).

Is there a rule on how close tables that people sit at can be? A few establishments have tables to the right or left of the board, and some are half way between the throw line and the board. Say 3 feet to the right of the the board. Can people sit at these tables, or should they be cleared during play?
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely cleared
    Anything in front of the oche (within 4 feet as a general rule) of the dart lane.
    Mervyn
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADO TOURNAMENT RULES

http://www.adodarts.com/pdffiles/TournamentRulesBooklet.pdf

Everyone should be behind the line, (except the chalker of course) , so there really shouldn't be anyone in a player's line of sight, but there is no specific rule regarding that that I am aware of, as in a Tournment is it assume everyon is behind the oche to begin with.

And there are no specific rules as to how far apart multiple boards have to be either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the DRA has specific rules about distance from raised oche. As most of us don't play on a raised oche which incidentally is a minimum 5 feet in width. And a player can not be within 30cm about a foot on his walk back. The distance behind the Oche requirement in 4 feet. So it is safe to say a non player cannot be within this imaginary area.
    Tubby
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then what is the spacing for boards at tournaments? Since obviously you will have throwers to the left and right of you walking to and from boards while you are shooting. Is it roughly 4 feet from the center of bull to center of bull?

the tables were brought up as part of the discussion since the landing with table are in front of the oche but to the right of the " Dart path" by a few feet. I didnt officially measure it.
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I see the question more clearly.
    Basically if the dart oche is 5 feet wide and a player cant be within 1 foot from the sides when retrieving his darts. That would create a darting lane of 6-7 feet of exclusion area. I know the ADO rules kinda suck in general for tournaments.
    Tubby
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. It is sort of hard to explain with out seeing, but basically you have your Oche and the board, roughly half way to the board there is a table a few feet right of the dart path. The question was are people allowed to sit there, even if it was 5ft to the right.

We have another very small tavern that also has wings on dart night, and the place is jammed packed. there is a long table to the right of the throwing lane maybe only 3ft from the right edge of the board. and the table sets from the Oche to the board. They reserve this for the visiting team. It has been that way for years, normally not a distraction but I remember distinctly last year throwing there I went T20, T20 and then in unison all my team mates heads turned to the board as I released the 3rd dart..... I missed LOL.

But in seriousness this was brought up by one of the captains during the meeting if there table is to close then the taverns table is way to close.
    Tubby
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I want to make sure I interpret this right. Lets say you have 7ft dart path leeway. So any thing 3.5 ft to the left or right of the bull is the shooters area. so if there was a table, pool table, whatever....outside that 3.5 ft and as long as the people outside that zone did not come into that 7 ft area then it is OK?
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
    lwindy1
    Private

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Similar to Match Under Protect Reply with quote

Can I get someone to send me an email or reply back I have a similar problem but has turned into being a nightmare for me regarding league.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar to Match Under Protect Reply with quote

lwindy1 wrote:
    Can I get someone to send me an email or reply back I have a similar problem but has turned into being a nightmare for me regarding league.

You can just ask here:)
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: