· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - What is the optimum back-stroke to cultivate?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

What is the optimum back-stroke to cultivate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    string
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: What is the optimum back-stroke to cultivate? Reply with quote

I have been working on the rearward motion part of my stroke of late, and wonder what others have found to be most successful in this initial part of the stroke and why.

In watching the pros play, you see many similarities and occasionally some large differences. Most opt for a very short back-stroke followed by a much longer "punch" stroke to get the dart to the target. Darin Young draws his darts way back under his ear for a very long stroke, both forward and backward. Wayne Mardel has this funny little jag to the side at the end of his rearward motion just before the dart starts to move forward.

For me, I find I have a smoother stroke with a longer back-stroke, but as there isn't room to draw the dart straight back, I have to curve the stroke slightly to draw back next to the corner of my mouth. That gives my rearward stroke a slight curve to it, which I think makes it a bit tricker to straighten out at the target when moving forward. If not done just right, the arm and dart curve to the right at the end of the stroke and if the release is late, the dart goes just into the 1 or treble 1.

If I go with a shorter straight back stroke, I don't have as much power to get the dart to the board, and my stroke takes on more of a "stabbing" motion rather than the smoothness that I like. It can be very accurate however, especially on the lower board doubles. But I'm thinking it may be a bad habit forming if I try to cultivate this stroke. But it seems closer to what the pros are actually doing rather than my longer and smoother stroke.

Any ideas, insights or comments?
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timely post string. I am struggling with that right now. I have read before about keeping your back stroke as short as possible to limit error http://john-lowe.net/ I think was where I saw that. I think there is a lot to be said on where you start your stroke. I am more accurate extending my hand to begin and having a short back stroke. If I start with my hand closer to my face. I have noticed that most pros do this. I struggle with accuracy. That very long forward stroke messes up my timing on release and I have a dropping dart. My prob is that starting extended is very uncomfortable to me. Almost a catch 22. But I'll practice it out hopefully.
    Ramses
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My perfect backstroke is one that doesn't have the flight hit me in the nose or eye!

Hunter
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the double pump like Wayne Mardel (spelling). But lately I have been attempting to implement the same philosophy as discussed above. I have found a way to stop the double pump and shorten the back swing. I'm not quite comfortable with it yet but it has not hurt my darts.

What I have done is practically lay my forearm on my bicep. At first the dart was launching really high but I have been gaining more and more control over it as I practice. I may get rid of the ole double pump yet.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    diddle
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I favor the short back stroke as I find that it forces me to
    really follow through and that I make less mistakes
    with the shorter back stroke.

I get all my velocity from that extension. Really more force than I
    need.

hth

Mike

Phil Taylor
    string
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stroke you are implimenting now Tae, sounds like the "pie-mans" stroke. Was watchin his stroke carefully during the World Championships and he has a glorious stroke. I would love to emmulate it, but I can't comfortably raise my forearm high like he does before the shot. Getting too old I guess. But he has that really high elbow pointing at the target and his arm almost lying on the bicept, as you have described. He destroyed Ray Carver with it.
    BigHonu
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to throw most accurately when I find a good tempo. My backstroke kinda varies a bit because I know my elbow moves around BUT for some reason it doesn't matter when I'm throwing at my 'natural' tempo. I do tend to settle into a shorter and quicker backstroke.
    OnAndGone
    Site Assistant & Admin
    Site Assistant & Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a shorter backstroke is better.

I personally equate it to a putting stroke in golf. A long backswing can lead to decelleration on the forward stroke, which is a killer. You should accerate the putter on the forward stroke.

Same in darts for me. A shorter backstroke allows me to accerate the dart on the forward stroke. A long slow backstroke makes me decellerate on the throw and causes a poor or mistimed release, or that sensation of aiming, or trying to place the dart rather than throw it.

Just my view.
    diddle
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigHonu wrote:
    I seem to throw most accurately when I find a good tempo. My backstroke kinda varies a bit because I know my elbow moves around BUT for some reason it doesn't matter when I'm throwing at my 'natural' tempo. I do tend to settle into a shorter and quicker backstroke.

I'll bet that when you use a shorter back stroke your elbow doesn't move as much if at all..

Phil Taylor
    Agent5432
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Ritchie Burnett Reply with quote

Have you seen Ritchie Burnett, No pull back to all, All Forward.

Shayne Burgess also a unique style, flight to face.
    diddle
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few players like that..

bet he really pop's the board eh?
    very flat trajectory etc..

Phil Taylor
    BigHonu
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddle wrote:
    BigHonu wrote:

I'll bet that when you use a shorter back stroke your elbow doesn't move as much if at all..

Probably right, but I honestly don't notice. When I'm thowing badly I tend to notice all the things I'm not doing right. When I'm throwing well, I'm more focused on the board and hardly notice my mechanics.

I'm thinking of setting up a camera so I can see what is going on.
    SEWAKiwi
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been working on my back stroke for a while now, and have adopted a shorter one. I find myself switching between a short and my old long one occasionally which i think is just old habits dying hard. I tend to start with the end of the flight just right of my right eye, and depending on how long it is since i last shaved i can feel it on my cheek in the backstroke. Darts are going better than they have in a long time.

The long forward stroke really helps me kinda force a follow through which i think i never really did.

god i love this site.
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that when I do get my forearm and upper arm aligned I have double or triple the power without the long backstroke.

My original stroke began from the L. The dart was drawn back slowly and as it approached my nose I did this little double pump, a bit forward, back again and then forward for the release.

Here is something I noticed the other night with the new stroke. I threw 10 rounds from under my right eye and hit a total of 7 fives. Then I shifted my darts and threw them from my left eye. I began wanking into the 1. This slight angle on the back-stroke seems to have a profound implication for me on the board. I can not throw from the side of my head or chin like many playerd do. If I keep the dart at the level of my upper lip or chin (I tend to vary between the two starting points) my accuracy improves.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    Ramses
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw with a standard draw and throw, with my hand coming back almost to my mouth or maybe a bit less (I've noticed greater accuracy throwing half-cocked). When I release late enough to feel like I'm going to throw the dart about an inch or two too low I'm usually VERY close or dead on.

Hunter
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find I like the "feel" of a longer backstroke...but generally am more accurate with a shorter one. Thus a constant battle ... Smile
    davidsproull
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well wont the 'perfect' back stroke change from individual to individual based on their height, arm length and proportions and so on?
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: