· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Should Tournaments be Random Draw?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Should Tournaments be Random Draw?
    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

ADO Sanctioned tournaments should be:
    Totally Random Draws!
    91%
     91%  [ 68 ]
    Seperated by city/state and then drawn randomly.
    5%
     5%  [ 4 ]
    Who cares?
    2%
     2%  [ 2 ]
    Total Votes : 74

UsualChaos
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not seeded and I think having pros play right off helps people like me out. Cool let two ranked guys go at it right away. Now it just made my chances of winning a little better. The more pros knocked out in the early rounds the easier it is for the average non traveling or occasional tourney shooter to win some cash.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    GRANITE STATE "A" DIV CHAMPS

MILL CITY DART LEAGUE
    "POLISH PUNISHERS" A DIVISION
    R.I.P. Mikey 2008
    Barleyman
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Tournament Draws Reply with quote

Seeded/Random. Place seeded players (4/8/16/32 - depending on the size of the draw) based on ADO ranking, then random. I think the "totally" in option one of the survey may have thrown some people. Any other manipulation is just that and will end up with someone being unhappy with the draw.

Of course, people will complain any time they get a 'bad' draw in their mind, no matter how fair the process.
    JME
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I am coming to the party late but what the heck. Erik wrote:
    Quote:
    ...in japan where they are not allowed to play for money, thousands show up to play, but I think the circumstances are different there. i think that if you offered them a chance to earn money they would play there instead.

I played in Japan for three years '90 to '93 and they had the same trouble there. Japanese Dart Association (JDA) tournaments were considered amature and thus no money. They got around this by providing high quality prizes. This is not what drew palyers. High turn out to tournaments was supported by strong league participation. They tend to focus on the group rather than the individual so when they go to the tournaments they represent their team first and themselves second and they are then rewarded back home for their participation alone.
    Many of the better "individual" players particularly in Tokyo didn't like this arrangement and organized the Tokyo Dart Organization (TDO). They were considered professional and money payouts were allowed however a player who joined and participated in TDO events lost their JDA status (couldn't qualify for Asia/Pacific Cup or World Cup). Sound familiar? Participation at TDO events was much smaller but more lucrative.
    I have kind of seen both sides of the random/seeded issue and as others have stated there are pros and cons to both. In the end I don't have a problem either way as long as the process is transparent and they let you know up front how they are going to do business. That way it is my choice to play or not. If I had to come down on one side or the other my vote would be for totally random. Over time this is the fairest way to deal with it.
    Once again stating that I have not played in a long time and thus may be severely out of touch it is my opinion that if tournaments are just about the money then participation will continue to drop. Only a limited number of players will finish in the money so why should your average league player show up. All things being equal odds are that it will be a local heavyweight or an out of town pro that will bring home the cash. My experience is that the average player doesn't have the desire to become a tournament level player. They want to have some fun, improve their game and enjoy the experience. When I started going to tournaments I went for the experience and the entertainment value. I knew that the best way to get better was to play better players in situations that mattered and I was willing to donate my entry fee for the experience but not all players are like me. If we want local participation (at any level) we need to provide entertainment value or something else that means something to the average player.
    6 Darter Me
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive voted for totally random draws as its luck in who you get that way

and everyone is in the same boat so to speak , its the fairest way Smile
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great feedback -- this threads been dead a while but I'm glad it still gets attention once in a while Wink

I'm a proponent of random draws and seeding into events depending on the events intent (meaning a simple luck should be random whereas the World championships could be seeded).
    The KingPin
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All tournaments for a fairer system should all be no matter what should be drawn from a computer
    as then its not a fixed draw for any individuals

As then its the luck of whom your playing .

At the end of the day you shall probs have to play one or two of the better players when or if you make progress

and so ye it should be a random draw by a computer in front of others to see at first hand it hasn't been fixed.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: