· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Training Boards... yes or no?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Training Boards... yes or no?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Jexodus
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Training Boards... yes or no? Reply with quote

G'day guys,

Do many of you use training boards? Boards with half sized doubles and trebles?

Are they a beneficial tool in the training arsenal? Or do they seem to throw you out when you are faced with a standard board?

Very interested in opinions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance....
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and still have one that sits leaning against a wall Wink

My best darts were thrown after working on standard boards BUT I didn't start on a pro choice / champions choice type board until years later and once you get used to it the standard doubles and triples seem to be HUGE.
    Jexodus
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Erik. I've thrown on one a few times and enjoyed it. I can see value in it but I was just a bit concerned about if the constant transition from training to standard board would have a negative effect on my game...
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you checkout the SEWA practice games (rules are in the Practice Forum and the results are on the SEWA Practice link on the menu to the left), you'll see an entry for John Part (Three time World Champion) which is him on a normal board then you'll see Darth Maple which is him on a Champion's Choice board.

Personally, I have more difficulty staying in the number pie I'm shooting at then in hitting triples and doubles so when I go from a trainer board to the real board, sure, the doubles and triples look huge, but the numbers themselves look skinny (not good!). So, I came up with a trainer board that had grey, non-scoring areas in-between each number in addition to the smaller doubles, triples and bull area. John liked it and we submitted it to Unicorn (his sponsor and a company who we used to have a rep that would post here), but it never went anywhere. Someday, I'm going to have them make that board for me...
    Jexodus
    Private

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigB wrote:
    the doubles and triples look huge, but the numbers themselves look skinny (not good!). So, I came up with a trainer board that had grey, non-scoring areas in-between each number in addition to the smaller doubles, triples and bull area.

That's a good point Craig. I can see how a standard board numbers would look skinny. That would put me off a bit too I reckon.

I love your idea about the practice board to fix that issue. I'd definitely look at getting one.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a board that was black and white only (still do somewhere) that had the doubles and triples white with the white area larger than the area inside the wires -- meaning a bigger target to look at.

I liked practicing on that board as it seemed to help me concentrate on the key points I wanted but in the end I found hours upon hours on a standard board did the trick for me.
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love using the practice board. I will put it up a week before a tournament. It seems to make me concentrate more on my targets. Then, a few days before the tournament, I will put the regular board back up, and like all has said, everything looks so much bigger. I don't see where using one would hurt in any way. At least it hasn't hurt me.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other options of course. I used to play games with a friend using colored stickers (both the 1/2" and 1/4" ones) where one person would put two of one color anywhere they wanted and the other person had to shoot at those. 1 point for a dart touching a 1/2" dot and 3 points for a dart touching a 1/4" dot (it didn't have to stick into or tear the dot since sometimes it would just dent the side). After that turn, the person who just shot would put dots of a different color up for the other person. Usually we kept the dots up until one fell then they were replaced. By having each person put the dots up for the other they usually got put all over the place and not just in the usual places. This made you think about hitting a spot - any spot.

Another option is to get extra single and double bulls (one of the members here makes them or you can save old ones from beat up boards). Then you put these in the fat areas of a number or even around the edge of the board. Again, the goal is to practice hitting a spot and this approach won't wear out the only area of the board you can't rotate - the center!
    Robot
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Puma Pro-Trainer board. I have that one and a regular board up.
    I use it for strictly accuracy. I don't play games on it, (beside maybe a race to 10 triple 20s or something) because it can lower you confidence if you practice 501 and get stuck on a double and throw 40 or 50 darts.

It's helped my bulls, I noticed that this weekend. The small double bull has helped my focus in practice and my arm remembered where it was. Smile
    Mervyn
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them , and I find I actually don't lose any confidence when I miss doubles on them as I'm always comforted by the fact that it would have probably been on hit on a regular board.

And playing for a practice board does make regular boards look much larger, and that's a nice thing.

The only think I dislike about my training board is they made the double and triple rings smaller by increasing the diameter of the inner most wires, which means you are effectively simply shooting at the outer half of the doubles. it would be much better if they increased the diameter of the inner wire and decreased the diameter on the outer wire.But that's a minor thing.
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Bandit Pro-Trainer. For a while, it was the only board I had. I still use it once in a while and 'for fun' have thrown games of 301 DIDO using Voks Mosquitos on it.
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Flight School technique of "Spot shooting" and the board you use will not be important.
    Rolling Eyes
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    cannibal
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be something to the use of trainer boards consider the following.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92357048
    Barry_French
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd try to resurrect this thread seeing as I am now using a Blade Champions Choice board.

Training boards are great as long as you are using them in the right way. When I play on a normal board I am aiming at the top wire of treble usually (for most trebles anyway) so that I can go underneath. I also can aim at half a bed if my vision is slightly blocked without moving. Not always dead accurate of course, but I never throw a lazy dart in a game.

When I play on the champions choice all I am doing is basically reducing the amount of 'slop' that I am getting and as I am using the board purely for technical purposes this helps me a lot.

What do I mean by slop? Well, I'm aiming for the top wire of a target yet I hit the bottom wire - I'd be happy for this on a normal board but the simple fact is that I was not hitting where I was aiming. I am not hard on myself if I do hit the wrong spot because in a match it is not necessary, but the board simply makes me aware and while I'm practising I can refine things better.

As soon as I get on a normal board if I do practise, I am practising things like my counting, experimenting with different outshots etc.

I do play some practice games on the Champions Choice board.

I play the occasional game of Bob's 27's on there. My aim is simply to get to the Bull with 50 or more so that I can complete the game. I've not played on it enough to see where I get yet. I have been on 75 after D& and gone downhill so it is entirely feasible that I can finish it and I will.

I also play 170 in 9 darts. First to 10 points wins, if I do not do it then the ghost gets a point. I've thought about some kind of system where if you do it in 3 you get 5 points, in 4-6 you get 2 and in 9 you get 1 but thats too complex for what I need now. It's just reinforcing the focus.

One interesting choice Winmau made when designing this board was to use very pale colours - it seems to re-inforce that need to focus as you cannot see the target so well. To me I'm intense anyway, but this would help a lot of players and then when you see that gorgeous lipstick red treble that is double in size, if you maintain the same focus you are doing very well.

I would not rule out playing scoring games on it because I look at things objectively - as long as I am around 24 darts a leg I will accept that - if you can do that then you are at very least staying in the big number segments. I beleive that it can help in those pressure situations where things feel like they are shrinking, and your arm tightens up - if you can throw on that then it makes the task easier on a normal board.

Sorry for waffling on, I'm very passionate about the use of trainer boards as a lot of people disagree with them. It's difficult for my confidence to be knocked as I'm using the board in a way to measure my technique. Not to try and improve my averages in practise!

Baz
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one about a year ago. Been meaning to get it back up on the wall, but I've been struggling mightily with my game for a while now in general.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: