· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Do you like playing Cricket?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Do you like playing Cricket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like playing Cricket?
    Yes
    100%
     100%  [ 7 ]
    No
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 7

BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Do you like playing Cricket? Reply with quote

I prefer Cricket over '01 because you are playing your opponent, directly affecting their game and reacting to theirs as well. I am not putting down '01, I understand its appeal and tradition.

There is almost no Cricket in my area.

Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are times all I want to play is 501 and then there are times I'd rather just play Cricket.

To me Cricket is far far more a chess match, a mental challenge, a battle than any other game but 501 is a race in which I can just concentrate on form and trying to score my way to that out.

Some years I want to drive my 501 game down to lower and lower numbers, some years I'd rather play cricket until the wee hours with people that understand the point game like no others.
    BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sums up things very well, Erik. Chess vs Race.

But also I think running the Online matches here hurt my outlook for 501 because all games submitted were played to completion. I saw how many times the Throw determined the winner. I saw how many times the luck of how the games matched up determined the winner. For a spectator sport, that makes things interesting. For gamblers, that makes things unknown. For me as a player, it sucks rocks.

Cricket lets me determine my own fate to a greater degree. I actually have to play my opponent. I honestly feel in many 01 games, I may as well be shooting at home by myself.

I can see many stages of my darting life as I look back. I see how my perspective changed. Now I am in a place where I pretty well know who I am going to beat, who I am going to lose to. My priorities now are enjoying playing and trying to get better yet.

I enjoy playing against someone and having the games unfold in many different ways. I don't want to simply shoot at a board inbetween when another guy shoots at the board. And I don't want to shoot most of my darts at T20 and do some simple math to leave 32 every frickin time.

And when you realize that you have shot at T20 a million times and still can't hit it at will, etc etc, and no one can, etc etc, it becomes a bit of a dice roll, know what I mean?

That's why Cricket is much much more enjoyable. Variety, determining my own fate, skill needed in attacking many different targets, and needing to pay attention.

Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh but for me there are two games going on in 501.

1. The game I play in which I try to my practice into reality. I try to push myself beyond normal limits and to drive the point of my darts into that t20 bed with even greater accuracy but that, to me, is what 501 is all about; your skill at perfectly placing darts over and over again until you have the out vs your opponents.

2, And that is the second game: your opponent. Some you KNOW you will beat, some you don't know (at no time do I think my opponent WILL always beat me or even will that game or I've already lost). It's the mental game in which you have to try to put the pressure on your opponent to drive them to get the nerves and 'break' their throw and it might take many games to get there but once you do and you learn you can, then you can make a game of it.

For me 501 is a game of raw skill vs raw skill yet with a hint of the mental battle of trying to force your opponent off their game.

I'm not talking about 501 played in local leagues mind you, I'm talking about the greater game, the one in which you might play best of many games....like maybe 21 or more.
    BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 straight "against" one person.... arrgghhh kill me now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: