· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Grrrrr I hate traffic tickets!
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Grrrrr I hate traffic tickets!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Non-Dart stuff
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Grrrrr I hate traffic tickets! Reply with quote

Got nailed for doing 73 in a 60 (passing lane section) this morning on my way to work. 2nd time in the last year (or less) in the same spot, same speed.

Radar detector didn't go off either.

Note: I don't advocate speeding but I do drive 5mph over all the time (it's perfectly safe I might add) but in this case was passing someone who didn't want to be passed (they do this all the time, drive 59 in a 60 until hitting the passing lane then kick it up to 70 until the end of the lane and back to 59)...I was tired of following, pulled out, he sped up, I sped up more...I got nailed.

$144 reminder that cops ticket you even though they don't follow the law.

GRRRRRR
    Drtr
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sayin, if it was OK to go 70 in a 60 zone, then the speed LIMIT would be 70, is it okay to hit 180 when you have 170 left??? Then say well close enough?? Just saying I dont feel bad
    2012 South A Area Champs
    Spring 2012 South A1 Division Champs
    Spring
    2010 B Division State Finalist
    4 Time SSDA Champion
    Fall 2003 B
    Division
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying 'it's ok' to do 70 in a 60 zone -- though I can argue it is safe in the car I was driving, and I can argue that the police do it all day long and aren't ticketed for it -- I'm just venting a little because I got nailed. LOL

Truth is, I don't normally drive more than 5 or 6 over because I don't want a ticket (not because of any safety concerns).

Can I vent? lol

OH and I'll pay the ticket, I always do, and I'll pay the increased insurance (which is nonsense as speeding doesn't cause accidents -- mistakes do)...

But anyway, just venting
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that I find the Radar Detector is really more of a 'slow down you fool' device. They do a good job of reminding me to limit my speed to reasonable levels. Without one I used to easily creep up to well beyond the legal limit (out of habit more than anything else) and with one I am constantly reminded to slow down....only this time it didn't remind me.

Darn it.

If a big rig can do 60 safely then ask yourself this: how long does it take a big rig to stop from 60? Turn? Avoid someone etc. Then ask yourself: how much difference is there in say a Subaru Outback?
    Drtr
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you know I was just bustin em!!
    2012 South A Area Champs
    Spring 2012 South A1 Division Champs
    Spring
    2010 B Division State Finalist
    4 Time SSDA Champion
    Fall 2003 B
    Division
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of your issue is the radar detector.

I've heard from a few officers (some family) over the years that if they pull someone over and see the radar detector, they almost always end up getting the ticket.

In their mind, speeding is so important to you that you have spent hundreds of dollars on this device to continue to speed. Also, they figure you have probably gotten away with it a lot thanks to the detector so you're still ahead of the game.

That said, I read a book that advised if you have one to maybe hide the cord and put the detector up in your visor somewhere..and cover the lights with some black tape. He may still see it but he may not.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is I use mine as a reminder because it's just too easy to 'speed'. It's a relative term really as anyone can argue that doing anything above the posted limit is 'speeding' but everyone, yes everyone, does that at some point.

There was once a study which defined what they called the '89th percentile rule' which as stated was the speed at which 89% of all people drive regardless of the posted limit. Might be under (rarely) or over (most often) and is based on perceived safety which the study concluded was indeed safe.

Speed limits are arbitrary at best and most people (89% reportedly) know what is a safe speed to travel.

Having said that, and have done a fair amount of performance driving I know that I tend to drive faster than what might be posted so I need a reminder to slow down. When the radar detector goes off I look at my speed and adjust accordingly. I also use cruise as often as possible as it keeps my lead foot off the gas Wink

In the end, police drive over the limit all the time and they perceive this as 'safe' to do because they have training in driving however the law isn't actually about 'safety' per say but rather 'rules' and we are to follow them regardless I guess.

Anyway, I no longer intentionally 'speed'. I could easily drive 80+ in most places as I was trained to drive fast -- very fast -- but I don't want to lose my license LOL so I keep it reasonable.

Passing, however, is something that you should do at a rapid pace to limit exposure to potential hazards and passing over the limit should be acceptable from a safety standpoint. But that's just me (and all my training) talking.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Non-Dart stuff All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: