· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Do you Struggle
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Do you Struggle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Do you Struggle Reply with quote

Do you struggle to play at your level vs not as accomplished players. I find I do. I get up to playing anyone whom I know is going to give me a run. But I often don't play as well against inferior competition.

I know this is clearly a glaring weakness of mine. I should be disciplined enough to simply play my game against the board and let the pieces fall where they may. But for some reason I fall short an alarming amount of the time.

Most of us understand that it is fool hardy to do this, as many players just need that little bit more to take the win off the better player. I could get away with it when everyone I played was top notch as it wasn't a concern. But since the league division expanded, there are a few teams which are in over their head.

I don't think it is because I feel bad for them. I just think its my nature to play without the killer instinct. It is something that I must remove. While I constantly tweek my physical game. I think its time to work on my mentality.

I see most of the Top pros have no issue upping their game no matter whom the opponent is. It is something I must incorporate in my game. Anybody else deal with this and have suggestions?

I intend to focus more on the board. Keeping it simple. Just throw to hit big and focus on lowering my dart count.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Worst part? Players who are generally less competitive OFTEN bring their game up to play you -- in my case I still joke sometimes that I have a 'bullseye' on my back! They just are DRIVEN to beat you/me and if you aren't on your game then guess what?

ya, you lose!
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed there is no doubt about the Bull being on your back. They have come to play. And some do roll over but then you get the few that are just determined to beat you. I have no issue taking my hat of to them. But I often look back and wonder what the heck was I thinking.

One of those whom won, even came up to me and told me how his hand was shaking as he was just happy to be in a game with me. I have always been gracious in defeat. As I understand I am the only person to blame for not playing to a standard.

I think its time to reevaluate my mental strength. Its something I have taken for granted. But like anything you neglect. It tends to come back and bite you in the ass.
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle playing against the less skilled player, and tend to excel against the top players. I know it is because I concentrate more against the better players, and not as much against others. Yes, I am guilty of the same weakness, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    davidsproull
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am safe as there arent any players less skilled than me.. Razz
    hammy73
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man. Someday I will give you some competition again.
    LBD
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've experienced. I haven't played darts forever only 5 seasons 2.5 years and the team I am on has gotten better and better and my darts have excelled at one point the division we were in it just ended up that we were by far a better team than everybody else and we crushed people and I was the best player on our team. I found that people would try really hard at first but as soon as they missed or slipped up would quite trying and I knew I could break them and then throw steady darts and win almost every time. In this case there bad darts did not deter me from playing well although I didn't hit a lot of highlights but that was because I wasn't pushed to. I didn't play poor but I didn't play great either just steady and got the win. Then we moved up and I was ready for the challenge and found other good players who had heard of me out to get me I definitely played a higher level of darts against them sometimes winning sometimes not. I also found the weaker players in the division raising there game to beat me too. I found all the better play and more competition weighed down my killer instinct that I had before probably cause I know know that I can't bully anybody anymore and even the weaker players in the division have some darn good darts in them when they want them even if it's not every leg.
    RP_BILL
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a moderate problem with this a few years back, but then I was able to correct it, for the most part, and keep the pedal on the gas right to the end. However, since putting down the darts for a while, and now coming back, I notice that a lot of my old problems have made a comeback, as well. This problem is no exception. My concentration definitely waivers when playing against a percieved weaker player, and more often than not, I am able to increase my concentration against percieved equal or stronger players. My own level of play shows accordingly.

In the end, the answer was simple. Focus and concentration. It was the execution of that theory that proved difficult. All the things that we have discussed and debated here over the years ring true. Topics that come to mind off the top of my head: Forgetting all previous darts and focus on the one in your hand./ Don't take anyone for granted./ "Flick the switch" when you're on the oche and take a mini-breather on your opponent's turn./ Play the board./ Can't win Cricket if you can't hit a bull, and you can't win '01 if you can't hit a double./ There's things that you learn by yourself on the practice board, and things that you learn while competing./ Don't waste darts, make every one count./ Mechanics... keep your form, trust your stroke./ Aim small, miss small./ Losing is easy, winning is hard./ A John Part gem... learn to know the difference between being half-focused and totally focused./ Seek out better competition and play them./ Throw every dart with meaning and purpose (practice or competition)./ If you get tired during practice, take a break./ Etc, etc., etc...

So many of these things are simple and common sense, yet they can easily be forgotten or ignored, particularly when fatigued, distracted, bored, overly relaxed, etc... One of the greatest things about a place like this, was to come here daily, discuss dart topics, or see problems others were going through, and then being able to re-examine my own game and reinforce even the most basic of basics. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: