· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Another great one taken way too soon..
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Another great one taken way too soon..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Non-Dart stuff
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Another great one taken way too soon.. Reply with quote

Grammy-winning guitarist Jeff Hanneman, a founding member of the heavy metal band Slayer, died Thursday of liver failure in Southern California, the band said in a statement. He was 49.
    "Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11 a.m. this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure," the band said in a statement posted on its website and Facebook page.
    Hanneman leaves behind his wife, Kathy, a sister and two brothers.
    "He ... will be sorely missed," the band said.
    The guitarist was with Slayer from its founding in 1981. Its breakthrough came five years later with the release of "Reign in Blood," an album that included two songs -- "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood" -- co-written by Hanneman.
    That was one of 10 studio albums that the band put out over three decades together, during which they performed thousands of shows.
    On Slayer's official website, Hanneman said that the last one -- "World Painted Blood" -- came together quickly because the band's members worked seamlessly.
    "The interaction between all of us on this record was really something special," he said. "... The chemistry was just good."
    In 2006 and 2007, Slayer won Grammy awards for best metal performance.
    The metal world -- in tweets from, among many others, the bands Rancid, Hatebreed, In Flames and Testament -- reacted to Hanneman's death with sadness and appreciation, referring to him as a "true heavy metal legend" and a "brother in thrash."
    "Jeff Hanneman will always be a metal god," wrote rocker Andrew WK. "A true master, he gave energy and excitement to millions, and will continue to. #PartyForSlayer."
    The news also spurred thousands of diehard fans to comment about Hanneman on Slayer's Facebook page.
    Wrote one: "One of the best shredders ever to walk Earth. RIP, good sir."
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    JinRI
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a sad day. I thought I read that he was 52? No matter. Dave Lombardo is also out due to financial issues in the band. I read that he had the band's finances audited and it seems that money wasn't going where it should... i.e. management getting a lot more? the band getting less. King didn't want to do anything about it.

Anyway...

When I read this, I posted it in FB. Tom Araya and Kerry King do not Slayer make. Perhaps they will start a Slayer tribute band?
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JinRI wrote:
    It is a sad day. I thought I read that he was 52?

Nope, 49. Another one younger than me gone!
    RP_BILL
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very sad news. I heard it the day after it happened. Slayer was one of my all-time favorite bands. They were awesome and legendary. So many bands over the years tried to copy them, but all of them fell short, and paled in comparison to the original.

Nowhere was this more evident, than at one of their live shows. Seeing them live was truly a unique experience. I saw them for the first time in Jan of '87 on their Reign In Blood tour, and saw them quite a few times after that. From their legion of loyal fans, to their insanely awesome shredding, to their consistent high energy, it was an experience that could not be duplicated by anyone other than Slayer. With the energy that was put out at one of their shows, you would have thought the place was going to crumble to the ground.

Jeff Hanneman was not only a great guitarist, but also one of the primary contributors to the creativity of their music. He wrote some of their best stuff, and his ideas and influences played a key role in the success of Slayer. At the young age of 49, Jeff Hanneman sadly passed away due to liver failure.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560534/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-dead-at-49

In 2011, Jeff had contracted an extremely rare skin disease known as "necrotizing fasciitis", possibly from a spider bite. This is what is commonly known as the "flesh eating" disease. The disease eats away at the tissues of the body, and often results in severe infections of the body's soft tissues, leading to gangrene, possible amputations, and potentially even death. Because of this, Jeff had not played with the band for the last two years.

Originally, there were reports that his bout with necrotizing fasciitis may have lead to the failure of his liver. However, it is likely that his undiagnosed liver problems predisposed him to contracting the rare skin disease that "almost" killed him, while the original problem of having liver disease went undiagnosed, until it was too late, and actually "did" kill him.

For those of you who may be interested in reading about this in more detail, here is an article about that:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/05/don-t-blame-spider-bite-for-felling-slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman.html

RIP Jeff Hanneman (1964-2013)
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Non-Dart stuff All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: