· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Gamesmanship: Can be so childish
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Gamesmanship: Can be so childish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Gamesmanship: Can be so childish Reply with quote

Admittedly, I havent been throwing to my best this season but I have also been dealing with an odd amount of gamesmanship. 2 incidents come to mind.
    The first was a chalker consistantly editing and changing things he had chalked. Now this guy is a super A player from accross the pond and definitely knows better. I have had run ins before with him in the past, but I thought the hatchet was buried. I figured i would simply wait till he was done. But then he would wait till an important shot to inexplicably need to change something on the scoreboard. This happened consistantly for 2 games. I actually turned and asked my opponent if he thought it was getting a bit ridiculous. He had no comment which said a lot imo.

The second was an old time pro. He was miffed with his loss to my teammate. And complained to me about the loss. I simply told him everyone losses. He didnt like that reply and decided he was going to chalk my game. Now this was almost comical. He would stand in front of the board after every turn, to I guess, make sure he wrote down everything right. Now I tend to like to stand on the line and lineup after my opponent shoots. Its part of my routine and having someone block the board after every turn was comical.

Both occasions I didn't say anything. I am from the school which says any response encourages the crap. But there seems to be a pattern emerging. I don't want to lash out at the next idiot whom deems this behavior appropriate. So I am in a catch 22.

Now I also noticed this started occuring more often after I won the last 3 lod's (sharing one with a friend) which those guys also played in. Now we play singles only in LOD's at the pub I frequent. I have eliminated both of them early and they have lost in the losers bracket. Before, they I guess figured they would get revenge.

Now I am not one to rub wins in. In fact I almost always hand back my winnings or buy everyone a round. The last time it was 18 people. I play the game because I enjoy it but this behavior in League is starting to get irritating. I admittedly understand its frustrating to lose , but really folks isnt that part of playing?
    AmericanBadAss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once said to a teammate "Phil Taylor doesn't win every time. Do you think you're better than Phil Taylor?" Nuff said..and yeah it's piss poor especially from people like you describe that have been around long enough to know.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Robot
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that type of stuff doesn't happen to me as often as it used to or I don't notice it as much.
    Once something is in your head, it's there. You can't just say to yourself, "Don't let it bother you." Then you're thinking about it.
    I either take that frustration out on the board, or simply thank them for chalking and pull them down and get a replacement scorer. I'll usually mention it to my opponent beforehand. I used to be timid to do so, but I've had enough horrible chalkers that I had to get over that. I appreciate their effort, but it's not helping.
    I look at gamesmanship as a lack of confidence. If my opponent or chalker is doing something to deliberately throw me off, it tells me they think I'm better. Then I prove them right. Twisted Evil
    Mervyn
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the first instance, I've noticed for years there is a tendency that certain players , when at a high skill level, will never be corrected for bad chalking habits, I think people are honestly intimidated and don't want to say anything, so bad habits are never corrected.

There is also a flipside to that, the higher level/greater the experience a player has, the greater expectations we have when they do chalk, so be mindful of that and make sure it's not a matter of perspective.

That being said, do with is allowed to do in the rules, it's better to have it dealt with so it never happens again then to stand at the line constantly having that gong through your head.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree i should not let it bother me. Its actually a new circumstance for me. Like robot says. I mostly don't ever notice much of anything when I am throwing. But like I said these were almost comical in nature. Ridiculous level of rubbish. No one stands in front of the board after every turn to check out darts. No one moves in perfect timing of the shot. I did leave out that i simulated a throw and presto the hand came up to do some correction. It was ludicrous.

Lesson learnt is all I can say. If they can't beat you straight up, then amazingly all the crap comes out. Its ok I'll finish out this season with a bang. And next season. Its take no prisoners.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tell them to behave and that trying to win through distraction is unbecoming of the game, then I'd kick their rears on the board and suggest they hit the practice board a little more often.

And maybe offer to teach them to chalk Twisted Evil

And the guy standing in front of the board might 'accidentally' get a dart zinging buy and hitting the D4 -- oops sorry, I was so concentrated on the board I didn't even notice the idiot, I mean you, standing in front of it! Twisted Evil

Chances are he'd move.

NOTE: I do not condone throwing darts at people!
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph, you are to nice, and they will continue to do this as long as you let them get away with it. With the scorer incident, I would have stopped the match and respectfully asked for a new score keeper, well maybe not respectfully, but you get my meaning. There is no excuse to make changes while you are throwing. The rule is, if it's not caught, it counts, and it is up to the participants to ask for the change, before the opponent throws their first dart.

Now for the one who kept standing in front of the board with each dart thrown, that person would have either gotten a dart in the back, or again, I would have requested another score keeper. There is no place for that kind of stuff in the game, and those who do this type of stuff, are normally losers. I say stand your ground the next time this happens, but do it in a classy way, not the way I would do it. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, and I don't condone throwing darts at people either, at least most of the time, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    CanadianBB
    Private

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing worse then playing against poor sports. Seems like they know they can get into our heads and tend to play that against us if the opportunity presents itself. Over the years I have seen my share of this, but what keeps me playing is the majority of the players are not like this.

I agree, next time stand your ground. Perhaps then they will learn to maybe either learn to chalk properly or leave it to the folks that know what they are doing.

After being away from darts for a long while, I have forgotten some of the silly stunts people pull. Usually though, after they are corrected in front a others, thety learn not to doit again. lol

Brian
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have been too nice. I just wanna play the game I enjoy. Didn't realize that was too much to ask LOL
    CanadianBB
    Private

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have forgotten how this happens sometimes. Last night in League play, the Chalker, just as I was about to throw, stepped back from the board about half way between me and the board, took a drink of his beer and stood there staring at me. lol I stopped, and said ummm no it throws me off. The rest of the game he kept asking me everyshot do Ihave my balance back.... uggg.... I did not play well.

In honesty, I do not think he was doing it on purpose. I think he has never been taught how to chalk and become invisible.

O well, I guess really it becomes my issue as I was the one who threw the bad darts.

Brian Smile
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: