· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Steel vs Soft Tip; Whats the whoop?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Steel vs Soft Tip; Whats the whoop?
    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    JDNY
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask how long ago was this was Craig? Was it a handicapped league?

What made it so terribly bad? Other then what you mentioned.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you asked, here's my entire playing history (which is only a small part of why I don't like the game):

The first time I ever played one was when they first came out (80's) down in San Diego. A bar owner let me borrow his darts to try the new machine and my first six darts were a perfect game of 301 DIDO. The bar owner was so impressed he gave me his darts (I think I still have them somewhere - VERY light and basic).

Then, after steel-tip basically died in Orange County, I played in a two-man Medalist league with a friend and had a blast because we weren't taking it seriously. We played out of a pizza parlor with the two owners being in our division. Lots of free beer and pizza - good times, bad diet and annoying hangovers (I even slept in the place a couple of times going to work the next day dressed as I was the day before - lol). This was in 1997. We then went to Vegas for their big tournament and I found that I wasn't allowed to play with my partner (the whole reason for going) because I was "rolling a 14" they said. So I end up with the husband of a girl who was playing because he was about the only person left I could have (and he doesn't play!). I hit back-to-back perfect cricket legs in the first round (which made us ineligible for the consolation event) while my partner hit one mark (a S17) during both games. Instead of being happy all I could think of was "Wow, 25 cents a turn!" since each game cost 75 cents for cricket then. The next round I didn't play as well and he did about the same. So we're out with nothing to show for it. My league partner didn't fare much better and soon we were all over at Circus Circus having a blast (but that's a different story).

Needless to say, all of that left a bad taste in my mouth and I didn't play any other soft-tip until I moved up here to the Pacific Northwest about nine years ago (mainly because they had a thriving steel-tip league). I got talked into playing a couple of local soft-tip events and, having not played for many years they put my in as a "temp 9." My partner and I did ok and squeeked through to play a tough team in the semis and, in the first leg which was 501, I kept trying to go for the bull and missing so the machine says I'm a 1 then, in the second leg which was cricket, I threw nine triples in a row and the machine says I'm a 17. The team we were playing (who had easily won the first leg thanks to a handicapped start and my crappy play) went balistic claiming that I wasn't a 9 (my non-diplomatic partner tried to say "Well, he was a 1 and then a 17 so that averages as a 9 - laff), but they remained the bitter pair and my partner basically won the next leg by himself which didn't help their attitudes. Throughout the event we kept playing teams that showed no form of sportsmanship whatever (in one match, one of the losing members threw his darts out the back door even). I tried one more time and it was just more of the same.

I will add that a lot of those same, rude soft-tippers have since gone over to playing steel and have adjusted their attitudes tremendously once they realized (and sometimes had to have it driven into them) that steel-tip is played with a bit more class. Many of these converts have said that if steel-tip had more money available, few of them would still play soft-tip.

------------------------------

Now, all of that said, even if everything was changed to straight-up competition and everyone was civil, I STILL would rarely, if ever, play. Why? Here's a partial list of what I can't stand:

- The Noise!
    - The distracting carnival / video game lights and effects
    - The bounceouts (which may have gotten better - my back and legs hate having to pick darts up off the ground)
    - The big targets (which, again, may have gotten better)
    - Shooting only at the bull (which hasn't changed according to the videos I've seen)
    - Paying to play (a real punishment for the better players too)
    - The *THWACK!* sound the darts make when hitting the board
    - Having to bring anything but my darts and a chalk holder (e.g., extra tips, pliers, quarter-holder, etc.)
    - The feel of the tips in my hands (part of my long-time pre-throw routine)
    - The balance of the dart with the plastic tip
    - Having to really pull to get the darts out of the board
    - Not having to keep score or verify the chalker (to me this is part of the game)
    - Having to remember to push the button and the wait (maybe this has changed too, but I don't like a machine dictating the pace of the match)
    - To be honest, I don't even like the looks of the board itself - it just looks like such a toy compared to a real dart board

Sure, there are other minor things like having bounceouts count, but most of those are just minor annoyances (although they all add up). I simply flat-out can't stand to throw darts at a machine regardless of how well I might do. Maybe that's part of it? I win lots of matches against fairly consistent players because I tend to hit more triples along with trash on the sides. Hey, 66 IS a better score than 60, right? However, on the machines, I'm still hitting the same 66 (or maybe a 78 ) but my opponent is now hitting 100's (even if he's still throwing at the 20's) because the triple is easier to hit.

I also guess that I'm failing to get across just how much less enjoyment you get from trying not to fail versus trying to succeed. In steel, if you start off with T20, T19, T18 you get pumped, your opponent might get put off and anyone watching is usually providing positive feedback - this is a great feeling! In soft-tip, if you do the same start, NONE of the above happens because you were expected to hit that anyway. The ONLY thing that can happen is you fail to hit that opening and you as well as anyone watching is disappointed (plus your opponent gets pumped up). There is no fun in that so I'll stick with steel or quit.

And, yes, I've seen the videos posted of the finals done in Asia (and you can quote me without the censorship if you want), but I find them boring as ****. That's coming from someone who has played with Paul Lim as a partner as well as against him and has seen what he can do in steel-tip. Paulie's the consummate professional and, as such, all darts is his life so I see no contradiction in anything he's doing (and wish him all the success possible). However, for those of us who make our incomes outside of darts, but love the competition, I'll stick with steel-tip.

That was WAY more than I wanted to write, but I hope it answers your questions.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So......Craig......let me get this straight....... You DON'T like soft tip? Laughing Laughing Laughing

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: