· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Modern Soft-tip darts (game changers)
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Modern Soft-tip darts (game changers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Soft tip/Electronic Leagues
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Modern Soft-tip darts (game changers) Reply with quote

Like many Steel tip players, my 1st Soft tip game experience back in the 80's was a joke. The 14-16 gram brass darts seldom stuck in the board and when they did the tips broke. You had to count the bonce outs are a game would never end!

Why it's not hard to duplicate the experience even today - I hope any new players to the game will consider my advice before they get too fustrated with the game.

1: Replace the tips to a modern standard (see reviews) on any soft tip game sold in the US before 2011. The darts that come included with the board are cheap but the tips make them worthless - upgrade them. I see some new boards sold in Asia that provide modern tips but currently the highest end boards in the US still ship crappy 80's style tips. This go's for some high end darts as well, one of the largest suppliers of high end darts still puts in old style tips (if I had to use this tip today I would throw even the best darts in the trash).

2: Buy a quality dart and board, don't let a $20 dollar discount store board and a 16 gram brass dart ruin your impression. Today soft tip barrels match and even in some regions (surpass) steel tip barrel. No suprise (ask any manufacturer about sales) The current soft tip market is larger. The 18-20 gram darts vs steel tip weight is no longer the large gap of years ago, Steel dart weight treading much lighter these day (excluding Phil Taylor of course).

3: Why not play both, for me conversion darts didn't meet the mark. I tried 3 or 4 sets before giving up and carrying a set of steel and soft tip in my travel case. Today I throw a (Hard lip) style tip when I play steel tip games. I can change my setup from soft to steel in under a minute, more importantly the feel/balance of my dart is unchanged using either tip. I can practice on either type of board and play a tournment on another style board the same day.

With lots of new opportunities in Soft Tip coming to the US, I would hate to see any dart player miss out due to past bad impressions.

* I did not write this post as a Soft vs Steel dicussion, theres plenty to love/hate about both game. I just wanted to throw out some knowlege gained over the years as I included soft tip into my darting.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Soft tip/Electronic Leagues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: