· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - On the subject of losing.
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

On the subject of losing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    jakesy
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: On the subject of losing. Reply with quote

I've been told over and over that I need to let losses go. I don't do so well with that. They all stay with me. I found this quote from the upcoming Bellechick special on NFL network. If it works for Bill and Brady, it works for me.

"Lombardi asked Belichick about Brady's comment earlier this year that he hadn't gotten over the loss to the Jets in the 2010 postseason.

“I’m not sure how many losses I’ve ever gotten over," Belichick replied. "I remember a couple of games I lost in high school and I’m still not over those losses either. When you put a lot into the game, the losses stay with you. That’s part of sports. You can never get them back, but it just drives you a little harder next time.”
    S. Shore Super A, One Eyed Willy's Rockland Eagles #841
    Mervyn
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last part of the quote is the important part.

It's important what those losses staying with you do, do they inspire you ? or do you dwell on those and lose concentration or confidence as a result ??
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember losing a 50-yard dash in 2nd grade that haunts me to this day... Confused

Razz
    Budzooka
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody likes losing, but I have come across far too many players who need to learn how to be gracious losers. I am as upset as anyone when I don't play my best and lose a match I had a chance to win or "should" have won. But, I shake the other player's hand and congratulate them. I get so frustrated with the players that immediately start up with excuses or how they won't lose to said player again.

Losing should be self-motivation for any competitor, but don't take away from the winner of a match because your performance didn't meet your expectations.
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following a display of my lack of being able stick a dart where anyone even vaguely familiar with the game should be able, and I am once again relegated to the loser category and faced with how to congratulate the person who has been the recipient of my lack of execution, I've learned to recognize their succes without accepting it. I say, "Well I managed to out fumble you, congratulations." Confused Wink

This goes along with my comment when I lose the bull, which is: "OK, you get to go next to last." Laughing
    All this with my face looking like this Razz .
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: On the subject of losing. Reply with quote

jakesy wrote:
    I've been told over and over that I need to let losses go. I don't do so well with that. They all stay with me. I found this quote from the upcoming Bellechick special on NFL network. If it works for Bill and Brady, it works for me.

"Lombardi asked Belichick about Brady's comment earlier this year that he hadn't gotten over the loss to the Jets in the 2010 postseason.

“I’m not sure how many losses I’ve ever gotten over," Belichick replied. "I remember a couple of games I lost in high school and I’m still not over those losses either. When you put a lot into the game, the losses stay with you. That’s part of sports. You can never get them back, but it just drives you a little harder next time.”

Steve,
    As one who will never forget a loss, let me try to explain something to you. When you lose, you should never forget about it, but what you should do is not dwell on it.
    When playing a match, and you lose the first leg, you have to let it go. You need to act as it never happened, and move on to the 2nd and 3rd leg with a clear head, so you can focus on the game at hand, with no distractions.
    Once the match is over, that's when you can analyze what just happened. If you lost even a single leg, ask yourself why, and try to fix it. If you won the match, use it as your confidence builder, as you move on to your next match.
    So no, you should never forget a loss, just don't dwell on it while your still playing. Always go to the line with a clear mind of nothing but what you have to do, not what you should have done. If you can do this, you will find yourself losing less and less. Good luck, I know you have it in you.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosing is a test of ones courage, confidence and resolve.

Have the courage to congratulate your opponent on their victory, and allow them to enjoy it.

Have confidence that a loss is not the end of the world, even the greatest dart-players on the planet have bad days.

Resolve to play every future match to the best of your ability, and with good sportsmanship.

I also think that it's a good idea to remember how and why you lost a match, but don't dwell on the losses too much. If you just run into a guy that's shooting the best darts of his life, there might not be anything you can do about it. If you made dumb mistakes you can work to correct them. And sometimes you just can't do anything about just having a bad day...
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to remember that our bad days, bad losses, make our good days and great wins even better! =D
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: