· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - You won -- now what?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

You won -- now what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: You won -- now what? Reply with quote

So you entered into a tournament and had a great run. In fact, you won.

What is your next step? Do you thank the organizers? Do you offer to help the next year? Maybe to promote the event? Are you willing to take steps to make the event more popular? Increase entrants? Seriously work to increase the sport in the area of the event?

Should you?

This is a take off of Georges post, but I decided to put it here, separate, so I could ask these questions and not derail his thread.
    hoopie
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win or lose, I normally thank the tournament director for everything before I leave. Without them I would have no where to go on the weekends.

Alan
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with hoopie 100% - always thank the people who run the show. As far as Erik's other points, you have to be careful not to step on people's toes. However, if I feel there are some things they can do to improve the tournament and/or participation (they will quite often ask my opinions anyway), I will offer some friendly advice.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    www.adodarts.com/browniesblog/index.php
    vanduynl
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well havent done the winning part yet, but I do have at least 6-7 tourneys that i go to every year. I do also thank the tourney organizers as I know them because i have been to them so many times. I do talk to local darters in my area about the tourneys we go to, to try and encourage them to venture out and give them a try.
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my money and run. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, couldn't resist. I always thank them after collecting the envelope. It doesn't matter if it's first or in the top 16 somewhere. The tournament directors have a thankless job, and even if it means nothing to them, I am sure they like to hear the words thankyou.

As far as offering my help, I have done so at local tournaments, but not to the few I travel to.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the tournament organizers know me. Thanking them is always in the cards. I have had my picture taken from promotions and have not yet said 'no' to that. I'm generally at the venues early and do not mind helping out a bit. I'm rarely there for the tear-down but always manage to say good by and thank you to players, refs, anyone I have met, and the organizers. It's just good form, win or lose.

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    catfish
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never have I left an event without thanking the entire group for their efforts and hard work. Without them we would have had nothing anyways. Even when you run into the occasional idiot on a tournament staff that could not find his butt in the mens room, they still deserve a Thank You.
    Remember without these folks willing to put the time and effort into hosting the event you would not have the chance to say I WON!. Kudos to all who run tournaments in the US.
    Punkin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From someone that is on the Houston tournament committee, I thank you for thanking us! It is people like you that, at the end of a very long weekend, take the time to come up to the control desk and thank us for doing our job that makes it all worthwhile. From all of us, thank you!
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanking the staff and endorsing the tournament are two things top players can do.

Though it may seem silly or inconsequential the endorsement/thank yous may go a long way to helping keep things alive.

But what else can be done? Perhaps nothing, perhaps just mentioning the event to others. But the bottom line I think, is that without participation and an atmosphere that makes folks want to organize, we lose.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
    Thanking the staff and endorsing the tournament are two things top players can do.

Though it may seem silly or inconsequential the endorsement/thank yous may go a long way to helping keep things alive.

But what else can be done? Perhaps nothing, perhaps just mentioning the event to others. But the bottom line I think, is that without participation and an atmosphere that makes folks want to organize, we lose.

Funny, I was reading old posts and came across this one.

one thing that is glaring at me is that the Mid-Columbia Tournament is gone. It ran a couple years ago but not last year and not this year...so I pretty much figure it's done.

Why? Lack of participation in running and organizing the event. Lot's of players around to compete, plenty of places to hold the event, boards available as well as stands etc etc etc...just no one willing to step up and make the event a reality.

Perhaps this is because the are this event was held didn't have enough supporting dart players to begin with? After all, if the players will play and come from all around, then why no event? Lack of those willing to do something other then play.

I see this for leagues too. It seems the problem is the players themselves because unless they are willing to organize events, the events just won't happen and if you have that one, or perhaps even 2 or 3 motivated individuals running things for a while, and you let them do all the work then what will eventually happen in most cases, is that they will quit.

I've seen it time and again and am seeing it now here.

So, to improve the sport and the events you must first improve yourselves. Make yourselves the focus of the inquiry and ask: what can I do to make a difference.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: