· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Check out app
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Check out app
    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    legion48
    Private

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Check out app Reply with quote

For anyone who struggles to workout their finishes, there is a neat app here that gives all the finishes from 170 down.

https://market.android.com/details?id=appinventor.ai_tonypirie.Checkouts6&feature=search_result
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly what people need yet another reason not to LEARN their freekin outs Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    overlord
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Catch 40 app? Reply with quote

how about an app to play "catch 40" that would be great practice and fun.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see an APP that teaches people to use their head for something other than a hat rack.

KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ShannonM. I can't help but agree.
    But hopefully people use it as a tool and not a replacement for their minds.
    Budzooka
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed at the amount of players that don't know their outs. I was in a singles 501 tournament this past weekend and there was a player that was in the quarter finals and was an extremely good shot, but he had no clue what to throw at. Luckily for him, there was someone behind him that would tell him what to throw at next, but it just baffles me that you can learn how to play this game and not learn your outs.

Maybe I was fortunate because my mentor pounded it into my head that I have to learn my outs. I practiced them over and over (and still do) and now it's just second nature. I can't imagine how much of a distraction it has to be to stop the rhythm of your throw to think about what to shoot next.

Selfishly, I love it when I see somebody throw at the wrong number, because I know I have a strategic advantage. But, it's simply inexcusable.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopRalph11 wrote:

But they WILL NOT. They will use it as a crutch. Just like the half wits that stare at the giant out chart on the wall after every dart they throw. I play with folks that have been playing 20 years that don't know their freekin math....... They have been using "out charts" since they started. They NEVER developed the SKILL of counting because of the charts. Out charts ARE the reason so many people don't know their dart math. Period. An electronic one is nothing more than a flashy idiot box.
    To add insult to injury probably 80 % of the out charts are WRONG from a logical "dart" math perspective anyway and I'm fairly sure this APP is no different.

BTW these people cannot mark a decent game either. They stare dumbly at the board until all the darts are thrown ……then use all their fingers and toes to figure out what has been thrown…… then dive into a 20 second arithmetic problem to figure out what’s remaining.

Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannonmiles wrote:
    KopRalph11 wrote:

But they WILL NOT. They will use it as a crutch. Just like the half wits that stare at the giant out chart on the wall after every dart they throw. I play with folks that have been playing 20 years that don't know their freekin math....... They have been using "out charts" since they started. They NEVER developed the SKILL of counting because of the charts. Out charts ARE the reason so many people don't know their dart math. Period. An electronic one is nothing more than a flashy idiot box.
    To add insult to injury probably 80 % of the out charts are WRONG from a logical "dart" math perspective anyway and I'm fairly sure this APP is no different.

BTW these people cannot mark a decent game either. They stare dumbly at the board until all the darts are thrown ……then use all their fingers and toes to figure out what has been thrown…… then dive into a 20 second arithmetic problem to figure out what’s remaining.

Larry, at least these people you speak of try. There are so many so called ringers out there that think they are to good to keep score.
    When you get a scorer that has trouble, just help them out. It sure beats doing it yourself.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank.... I hear ya. I'm not a freekin monster. I don't abuse scorekeepers. You know me better than that. But it is very frustrating when your teammates on a "A" division team cannot keep score because they never BOTHERED to learn how.

KopRalph11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM thanks for clarifying your position Wink

You bring up a great point. It amazes me how often people go exactly by the often incorrect 2 dart out chart. I can understand if there is a one dart leave chart or a 3 dart out percentage chart also.
    Just as example 81. I switch between T19 D12 and T15 D18 often simply because whichever i am most comfortable if I have only 2 darts. But if I have 3 its SB most of the time. Although don't be surprised with 3 darts I throw T20 1 D10 LOL And BTW don't forget the D16 out is a must crowd??? They can be mind boggling. I don't know how people are so hell bent on setting that out that they waste an opportunity for an out and win. I'd rather have a shot at any flippin out then set up a specific out. Heck I have 3 darts the next time to clean up if I screw up but at least I had a shot. Anyway thats for another thread.

Nothing can replace the out you hit and nothing can tell you what you're comfortable hitting.Just know your game and play the odds in your favor. Oh hey you need to know basic math.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopRalph11 wrote:
    SM thanks for clarifying your position Wink

No problem.

Chitown599

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannonmiles wrote:
    Frank.... I hear ya. I'm not a freekin monster. I don't abuse scorekeepers. You know me better than that. But it is very frustrating when your teammates on a "A" division team cannot keep score because they never BOTHERED to learn how.

Larry,
    You misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying you abuse scorekeepers, I was just saying there are people who are willing to keep score, when all the so called out masters walk away when asked, that's all.
    I know you are not like that, because your sons even offer to keep score, and they had to have gotten it from you, because I see you scoring all the time, and I have never seen you yell at a scorekeeper. Besides, you support the game more than most, and I couldn't see you discouraging anyone in the game.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Robot
    ADO TOP 10
    ADO TOP 10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to make a giant out chart for local bars that was wrong, but just can't bring myself to do it. Would be worth a couple of laughs though. The problem is, over half of the time the opponents wouldn't know it was wrong anyway!
    djsayre
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when people throw these...

http://www.a-zdarts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=90-2033
    vanduynl
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djsayre wrote:
    I love it when people throw these...

http://www.a-zdarts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=90-2033

I bet you do, cause you and I both played one of them at the MLD tourney Very Happy
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
    Gene
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, you are spot on, Sir! Cool
    jakesy
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize the original poster is the seller of the app. right?
    Legionware.
    S. Shore Super A, One Eyed Willy's Rockland Eagles #841
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I get it….. I’m a jerk. It is silly for me to expect an “A” division player to be able to mark a decent game. I have no right to expect a 15-20 year veteran of the game to be able to subtract. It is perfectly acceptable for it to take 20-30 seconds after every throw to mark down a score. I get it. It’s fine for them to get upset when I TELL them the score and what remains as I pull my darts from the board because they are offended that I am condescending to tell them how to score. Roger copy all. I’m a jerk because I draw a correlation between not knowing your dart math and not being able to mark a game worth a crap and vice versa. I’m a jerk because I EXPECT people to want to get better or at least try to do so. I now know that it is the score keeper’s game when I’m playing not mine. I am unreasonable to get upset when my rhythm is destroyed by a mule stubborn, galactically stupid, glacially slow scorekeeper because they are doing me the FAVOR of marking the game. Thanks for the insight.

barjo
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold onto your seat Larry, I agree with everything you said. But I'll extend it further - there is absolutely no excuse why ANY player, regardless of their level, who has been playing more than a couple of years is incapable of scoring a game. None whatsoever. It's not that difficult to learn outs.

There's a guy who shows up at one of the LODs here who needs to consult the out chart for 58. Seriously. Any time I see an opponent look at a chart, I know I'm getting at least 3 more darts.

But the people I see using the out flights are usually rank novices, and instead of castigating or ridiculing them, it is an opportunity to teach them.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barjo wrote:
    Hold onto your seat Larry, I agree with everything you said.
    Shocked Shocked Shocked Now THAT was a surprise! When I saw who had responded to my most recent post in this tread I expected a lashing and had girded myself for it. I am pleasantly surprised.

GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannonmiles wrote:
    exactly what people need yet another reason not to LEARN their freekin outs Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

My first season, after six years of not competing, just ended (got brave which is another story) where I played in a lower division of a not so strong league. In this setting someone who knows their outs is a rare thing, practically no one does. I could go on about this but - here is what applies to this thread:
    with a score some where below 100, and a long pause staring at the out chart on the wall and team members offering suggestions a dart is thrown, we go through all this again then another dart before they all discover there is a double left. It could be six or 22 or 18, but it is a double. And the guy sticks it!!! I could quietly cut my throat, but say, well done, nice shot, and reach for my scotch and water. Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George at least you said you were in a lower division. I play on an "A" team with some folks that can really throw some darts however, they are clueless when it comes to 501 math. I joined the team halfway through the season and nearly came to fisticuffs a few nights into it as I yelled out a teammates finish as he stood there frozen on the spot staring blankly at the out chart on the wall. He got mad because "I distracted him" lmfao . Shocked I now understand that not only do they not know......they don't freekin WANT to know. They might ask before the start of a turn but when you try to explain the "if this.....then this......if that .....then that" part of a bigger 501 out they say something like...."just tell me the first triple.....I cant remember all that other garbage" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

gmm213
    Private

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone go tto trivia nights? Went to one few weeks ago with my stepdad and a few of his buddies. One of the groups was full of college age kids. Some girl tried to use her cell phone to look an answer up. Wtf mate? Wouldn't be a big deal if it was all for fun but it was for $100. Seriously. Kids these days.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember having a bunch of out-of-towners staying at my house for the 2007 Oregon Open.

Wade Wilcox (from the mid-west) and Pat Breithaupt (then from the Tacoma area) were two of them. Now Pat was coming from soft-tip and could hit just about anything, but he didn't know his outs at all so he carried around this little notebook that he would flip through to figure out what to shoot at. While we were all playing in my downstairs bar, Wade was trying to impress on Pat that he really needs to learn his outs.

So what happens?

Pat goes out and wins the 501 Mens Singles event.

When we got back to the house, Wade grabbed Pat's notebook and threw it away - LOL! Laughing
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I remember that notebook! lol We all tried to get Pat to learn his outs but he liked his book.

One of the nicest dart players in the NW for certain!
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: