· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Disappointing Experience at a Luck of the Draw
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Disappointing Experience at a Luck of the Draw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Kapt. Kaos
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Disappointing Experience at a Luck of the Draw Reply with quote

Let me preface this entry by saying that I rarely post anything negative; but in this case I find that I am still bothered by the experience and I want to say something about it. I went to a benefit LOD yesterday in Pawtucket, R.I. I walked in to the bar and didn't know anyone as the one person I knew hadn't arrived yet. While warming up I looked around the room a bit and ended playing a couple of games against one guy. Final call for sign up came so I went over to the organizer, gave him my money and put my name on the list. Fairly standard procedure to this point. I waited until the white board was filled in, looked at it, and immediately went to the organizer because I was not on the board!! He showed me the board where at the very bottom there was one team that had a bye, comprised of two women. They were due to take on the winners of a match between a team of two women versus two men. He told me that I was the 31st name to sign up and one of the local women agreed to sit out so I could shoot and I would take her place on the board. I said thank you and walked back to warm up before the boards were called. A few minutes later I went back to the white board and saw that the line up had changed. Instead of the one woman's name being erased and mine entered the entire two brackets had been changed. No longer was one team of women playing against the men's team I mentioned earlier with the winner playing the bye team that I had been told I was on. Somehow the two teams of women were now lined up to play against each other at the bottom of the brackets and an addition team of men had been added. I am not sure how it was done but the bye was no longer there, and the four women were segregated into their own bracket. I was assured later that the draw had been completely up and up, but out of 30+ shooters to have the four women end up at the bottom of the board against each other, and with my name not included initially and then added in, and brackets rearranged I have a hard time not suspecting that the draw was tampered with.

I have not experienced such discrimination before, nor a draw being that blatantly tampered with. I found the organizer's treatment to be demeaning and insulting. I am discouraged and disappointed that in this day and age of prolific quality women shooters that the orgainzers of this event would assume that the women couldn't play with the men, or didn't want to. I paid my money just like all the men, I'd like to be treated in that draw the same way as the men.

I don't wish my comments here to portray all the men at the draw in a negative way. Most of the ones I spoke with were quite nice and very decent. The women that I played with were friendly and very welcoming to me. I really enjoyed meeting them. They were not competitive shooters, which is fine! This was a benfit event and their participation was what mattered! I hope that they continue shooting and that at some point the organizers become more enlightened in the area of women's darts and stop tampering with their draws.

After I posted this on FB a friend of mine encouraged me to post it here. I've never posted on SEWA before, but I read a lot. My purpose is to have this draw serve as an example of how not to run a draw. There are plenty of draws in Massachusetts that they could learn positive lesson from.

Last edited by Kapt. Kaos on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is possible for the 4 women to wind up on the bottom of the board, and play against each other, I find it highly unlikely. And as you said, the line ups were changed, so that tells me nothing about it was on the up and up. I would make a note never to go back there, and warn my friends as well. This is something that should never happen, but sadly does more than people think.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    LEGIONOFDOOM
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsten...you should stick to the franco Wink
    Skizrock
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristen i think you should share this thread with all of SEWA not just the MMDL folk. Id like to move it to the General Darts section if you wouldnt mind. It has the potential to be a good thread and not everyone on SEWA reads the MMDL area. At least they wont admit it. lol

Commissioner/Business Adminstrator
    Minute Man Dart League
    http://www.mmdl.org
    Flight Fighters NS Super A MMDL Spring 2016 Champions
    rob
    Chief Gunner
    Chief Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey kirsten sorry to hear bout that! my pahtna was livid for ya Wink
    seems like the guys were definitely in the wrong... and it takes away from ur enjoyment so thats just not fair!

but look at the bright side... it seems as though the benefit was a success with that many shooters?

AmericanBadAss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the bracket is up, it should NEVER be changed..unless there is a total redraw.

If you have an odd # of shooters, you play the first round and draw of the first round losers to be the "mystery partner" for the odd person.

I ran a LOD for 5 years and never had any problems that were not easily rectified..and more than once made mistakes but always fixed them and took ownership.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    bigguy
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats total bull sh-t
    Kapt. Kaos
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skizrock wrote:
    Kristen i think you should share this thread with all of SEWA not just the MMDL folk. Id like to move it to the General Darts section if you wouldnt mind. It has the potential to be a good thread and not everyone on SEWA reads the MMDL area. At least they wont admit it. lol

Hi, yes please feel free to place this thread whereever you think is best. I put it under the mmdl forum because Pawtucket isn't that far from us and I wanted the local shooters to know about this most of all. If this place was willing to mess with the women's brackets what's to say they weren't (or won't) messing with the men's?
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsten wrote:
    Skizrock wrote:

Hi, yes please feel free to place this thread whereever you think is best. I put it under the mmdl forum because Pawtucket isn't that far from us and I wanted the local shooters to know about this most of all. If this place was willing to mess with the women's brackets what's to say they weren't (or won't) messing with the men's?

I hope that this move to "Straight Shooting" will draw some added attention to the issue.

When I first read this post I wondered if this was the work of an inexperienced or careless tourney director.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing a LOD, wish I could say this dosn't happen much. I personally have grown numb to it, I have resided to not let it ruin my night of darts. Not to belittle the total lack of respect you recieved from these small minded morons.

You have every right to call out these fools running this event. However I think you will find your only true satisifcation will be to return and kick arse.

It took me almost a year to aquire the skill to beat the (home team), it was not mistake that the women running the draw, husband (one of the better players) ended up with a strong partner every week. The night I beat him (twice because I was coming from the 1 loss side of the bracket) was awesome - I broke his 8 week streak. Better yet was my partner had been playing almost 3 years and never won a dime (and they pay to 3rd place) . I didn't give a crap about the money, I just soaked in the pissed off look on the face when the cheating wife handed me the money.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out here in the Pacific Northwest everyone is mixed together. Sometimes a small blind-draw may be altered to make sure that two of the best shooters do not get partnered together (when I was league director I would request to be paired with someone from our lowest division).

We play a round robin prior to a knockout so everyone gets to play a lot of darts. Payouts are generally low so people don't get all bent out of shape. In the 80's, down in Southern California, I had a stretch of four years where I made over $10,000 each year just playing in blind draws. Up here, 20+ years later, if I won every blind draw for the entire year, I doubt I would make $1,000 (*sigh*).

That said, others like Christina have started putting together small events where the emphasis IS on high-quality darts with better payouts, but these are usually singles events or bring-your-partner type affairs.
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the majority of our local blind draws we have players pull numbers or draw cards with everyone present so that it is truly a luck of the draw and everyone can see it. Sometimes it's a bit of a struggle to get everyone together for the draw (some stragglers may not witness the draw), but in the end there is no question about how players were matched up.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: