· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Dartplayer Dot Net :: View topic - Why play darts?
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Why play darts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting"
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Why play darts? Reply with quote

I took a deep breath last thursday and asked myself why the heck do I play darts? Not a good thing to do before league as my game showed. I had previously always put it down to a past-time and a reason; as if I needed it, to hang out with my friends. I used to challenge myself and believed it was the competition I enjoyed also.

But for some reason I am struggling with justifying playing it. I have been overly distracted by simply sitting down and yapping with friends and almost find it a distraction with what I want to do. I used the four letter "quit" word last week and sadly it sounded good.

I have noticed a disturbing spiral. Practice is non existent. I play 2 times a week. One night for fun and the other in league. Unfortunately I have been enjoying playing for fun more.

Using the quit word surprised me a great deal. Its never been something I have done. So I have to reflect and ask myself what the heck is going on?

Do I need to take a break? Nah that can't be it . I play pseudo seriously once a week. Do I need to play LOD's and Tournaments?. I have done the LOD's and they were fun but for some reason lost their appeal for weekend past time. Tournaments have never interested me because of format and structure.

Hmm what to do?

I a big believer in having a "want" . What I mean by that; is that its important that I want to win league, that I want to play well, and I have to want success. If I don't have that I play incredibly sub par and disrespect the game.

Any ideas to get me motivated and back on track?
    BlackHorse
    OCD SMAG!
    OCD SMAG!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the entire thing centers around enjoying throwing a good round, or even a single good dart at a Double, DB, etc.

The pleasure of doing something well, the satisfaction of success, the feeling of the throw going just right, is what I enjoy.

Socializing is icing on the cake, I can do that elsewhere. Beating someone, some team, in competition is also superfluous to throwing well.

When I struggled heavily at the beginning of this year, I seriously considered quitting, but instead retooled and attacked the board. I considered quitting because the joy of success was barely there, and was overwhelmed in it's rarity.

I play to throw well (within my personal expectations) and the smile it puts on my face.

calebjkeen
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My enthusiasm for the game has come and gone over the years. There's no way I'm aware of to create the burning desire to practice and compete to win out of thin air. This desire can be affected by dissapointment or a slump, but a slump doesn't have to be the only reason it goes away. Alternately, I can't think of any one thing that triggers its return.

The implication (for me and for others for whom the desire to win is not always dominant to the point of the exclusion of other things) is that we'll never be top-flight shooters. But we can still improve to a certain extent, and enjoy the game while having the knoweldge and experience to appreciate the excellence of others. Maybe darts now occupies the place most appropriate to your personality and level of desire to win, and hence is not really a problem?
    jakesy
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph i think you need to answer the only question that's important here and it not why it isn't fun for you now. It's why it was fun for you before. That way you can figure out what's preventing you from achieving that or what you need to do to re-create it. I think we all get complacent from time to time but to play this game as i have for 20 years, I find it necessary to re-invent the game for myself every few years or so. set new goals, maybe mentor, find a new team to challenge my abilities. There are 100 ways to do it. All that being said, sometimes taking a season or two off is just what some need. It's the old adage, you never know what you'll miss till it's gone. Either way, I don't think you'll have an honest answer for yourself until you identify the why. Good luck, I hope you work through this. Wink
    S. Shore Super A, One Eyed Willy's Rockland Eagles #841
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough I am leading the league I play in. I remember when it used to be a herculean challenge for me to get to the top. I must admit I am spoilt in that sense as I have all the accolades I could want from league darts.
    I think I am actually being too focused on myself and how I am doing. Maybe I need to really focus on my team mates and friends progressions in the game. I haven't won league with my present team and I think thats going to be my focus till the end of this season.
    I have decided not to harp on it much. Put my own BS to the side and get it together for the team. I think seeing others being successful and doing well will put a desire back into myself.
    Thanks Blackie for the pm.
    Grey_Owl
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ugly FOUR letter word ... QUIT.

It seems that your inherent passion is gone .. for the moment. I am sure it has happened to everyone ... It did for me also.

Once I quit for 6 years ... then when I got back I changed my entire style and significantly reduced bad habits. Quitting helped me but it was a tough haul ... it took me 3 years to regain my level ,,, and then I improved.

The other time ... I simply took a break from practice and in fact from SEWA as I needed to get my personal life straightened and my day to day grind was surviving. I couldnt talk myself to the practice board as I had a love hate relationship. The thing that brought me so much pleasure was no longer.

I was the team captain during that time and an executive so I just went on auto pilot. I remember playing and knowing ... wow I am so much better than what I am playing and yet sadly was still the best player on my team but inside it bothered me not to be hitting those doubles and triples like I could. It was a numbing feeling and it sometimes ate me inside ... but I kept on going every Monday nite and I allowed myself to be kinder and not as judgmental.

On the odd time I would go to the practice board ... I hated the results because I remembered how good I used to be. So I stopped practicing.

Then something happened. Dont know what it was .. was it pride, desire, competitive spirit but the best decision I made was to see if it was true that 20 minutes everyday alone was good enough to improve. So tried it ... like 20 minutes goes fast .. cant get much done but this changed my thinking from results to groupings or around the clock singles and doubles. Then 10 days later I remember thinking ok I have done my 20 minutes ... let me play a game ... so I would play bob's 27 ... then it was 1 game ... then 2 games .,,, then it was until I scored over a certain score. Then I was averaging 40-60 minutes a day .. .then more and more. I didnt measure myself against what I used to be ... I simply practiced. Then the simple zen of throwing a dart over came me .. .AGAIN.. It provided me with joy. I fell in LOVE again with darts

I then browsed SEWA again and invested time back into the game and my game took off greater than ever. I treated my practice time like going to the gym. I created a routine similar actually to FS (FLIGHT SCHOOL IS BETTER) but this was something that got me to the board. Then I joined SEWA and participated ... then I joined flight school and did that. and my accuracy through my practice and commitment took off. It took me less than a year to regain the competitive enjoyment and pride in my game and my results made me proud as I had reached a level that I had obsessed for years. This came naturally through the practice and I know there in another level in me.

Kinda gave you my dart history Kops ... I hope between my ramblings that something hit home and give you hope, direction or new way of thinking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle. ~Author Unknown
    KopRalph11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do really want to thank you all for great responses. Its nice to know I am not the only one that has gone through this period. Ironic how I can deal with slumps and bad patches of game play, yet its the all important desire that I am struggling with.

I think I may hit a nail in solution. Thanks to the replies. Its got to be about the game and my team mates. If you cant get going for people you like and depend on you than you need to step aside. It will be challenge but I am going to try. I think I am going to vary things a bit. Try hitting the board and throw the SEWA games again. See where I actually stand LOL. And hopefully it will be infectious.
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph,
    I ask myself the very same question every morning while walking in my bar to start practicing. I think of all the reasons not to play, ie, all the drama, and backstabbing that goes on, the late nights coming home from a match., the nights where you couldn't walk the dart to the board and hit the number, to the long travel nights getting to the match, the drinking to much, and putting up with the smokers, in the places where smoking is allowed.

I then start thinking of why I do play the game. The competition, the friendships that are formed, seeing how all the practicing has paid off in my game, to helping others improve their games, driving back with your teammates after the match discussing how things went, and yes drinking and having a good time in general. I have quit the game for seasons at a time and not missed it at all, until the playoffs roll around.

Then it hits me,this is why I truly play the game. For that rush the playoffs bring. Going mono, a mono with some of the best talent darts has to offer. Feeling that ice water coarse through your veins when you hit that winning dart, and hearing your teammates yelling out "YES" as the dart splits that double to win the match.

"That's" why I play the game. Now all you have to do is search deep within yourself and find out the real reason you play the game. And we all know the answer is inside us somewhere, we just have to bring it to the surface. I wish you all the best my friend, in finding that reason. Once you find it, embrace it like you have never embraced anything before. I say this because there will come a time when you won't be able to play anymore, and it would be a sad day in Ralph ville, if someday you wake up and say, man I wish I had those years back, where I quit, and could have still enjoyed playing the game.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing

Last edited by Chitown599 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get like this week in and week out... and for me it's just plain laziness, procrastination. I never really want to quit throwing entirely, but I like to take a few days off and not want to even think of a dart. It helps focus for when I actually get back to the board sometimes. I have been playing pretty well lately. I have also been practicing a little more lately. It seems for me, new equipment always sparks renewed interest. Like I got the new Target HD dart board a couple of weeks back. It begs me and wants me to throw on it. It makes me want to practice. So this past Saturday night, I finished 2 cricket games with perfect darts. triple 15 single bull double bull. The latter, I hit a 9 count trip 18 trip 17 trip 16 before trip 15 bulls.

My cricket has really been struggling for a few months now, as my 01 has improved. I think my cricket play has jaded my feelings towards darts for a little while now. But im on an up swing right now, which is perfect timing for our huge music city classic tourney at the end of this month.

Im leading my team in stats and I have some really awesome players on my team.

I have also had a hand in handing Chuck his only 2 loses of the entire session. I hit a 9 count of 15's on him the past league night! He hit a deadeye on me earlier. I needed pay back! I beat their #2 player (chuck's team is by far the best in the entire league and it's not fair!) for the second time in singles 501.

I have quite a few little things to fall back on to boost confidence and to know I can get it done. My stroke is feeling pretty good. The weight and feel of my darts is the best it's ever been.

But yesterday, I didn't even pick up a dart Sad
    Taechon
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depression is a part of the game for me. I don't know anyone who has not asked themselves, "Why do I do this?" My greatest moments of self reflection tend to come after flying to another country, entering a tournament, and then throwing the worst darts of my life. Why do I do this to myself? I also had a one year bout with dartitis, I could release the dart but I could not control it at all.

What really gets to me is the hours and hours of practice and the minor results in performance. It is as if there is a wall that prevents better performance and it is so difficult to break through.

Then one day something happens and I am through the wall. My game level goes up. I throw great for a while and eventually become accostomed to the new level of play. What do I do next? I bash my head into a new wall! The depression and frustration start all over again. Why do I do this? Why can't I get better? What is it going to take? Am I really enjoying myself?

I honestly think that the driving force in those people who stick with it is a 'competitive nature. I used to do the exact same thing in martial arts. I got really good but then I would fight someone who was better and lose. Why would I lose? How much more do I need to work out? How could anyone be better than me? Man, I hated losing!

What drives us is probably different for different people. I think George S. and Flight school have an excellent philosophy, enjoy your games and your practice. He advocates not playing games against yourself (Games that you can lose.) Always finish on a positive, having accomplished something. I certainly think that is important and agree with it about 80%. I also find competing with myself an important aspect of my practice. To a degree, and probably because I hate losing. it is motivational.

Of course, I have no idea at all what motivates you. I share your frustration and have been there myself on several occasions. One of the things that seems to keep me going is that I have the dart board hung in my living room. Even when I am depressed, I have to walk by the stupid thing. Well, it isn't long, even when I am down in the dumps and cursing the day that I started playing the stupid game, before I pick up a dart and start to throw. Not long after that, I am hooked again.

I don't know that there is any help out there for you. I tend to see this "frustration" and "depression" associated with the game as quite personal. To me, it is an internal struggle. There may come a day when I do not win, put my darts down and walk away. But for now, the good times seem to outweigh the bad times. I enjoy meeting the challenges and I understand that another wall is just around the corner waiting for me.

Good Luck to you!

Darts is a simple game. It is the human mind that is complex. When the mind becomes as simple as the game, you have harmony.

Enjoy the Journey!
    Vic757
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing in college, when I was studying I would take quick breaks and throw a few darts. But, over time those short breaks turned into hours of play. Now, my little breaks have turned into a full blow addiction. Those college years have long passed but I still find myself playing endless hours of darts.
    spiderman
    Private

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: why play darts? Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading this one. In times of great weakness, one can find strength. Focus on what is important in life is the thing. Life is so short for us, we must go for what we enjoy with great gusto. I have been having difficulty with chronic physical problems lately and anytime I feel healthy, I go for it now because I do not know how long it will last. Thank you for making me think.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this exact issue many years ago but, fortunately for me, it came with the qualifier "soft-tip" in front of the word "darts" so, when I quit, it didn't interrupt the fun I was still having throwing "real" - er, I mean steel-tip darts. Twisted Evil Wink

(All kidding aside - this is a true story. Confused )
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see this topic come up again because it makes me think of a couple of key issues:

Goals - If you have reached your goals, you should crank them up another notch. Always try to keep raising the bar.

Mentoring - Find others who are trying to grow in the game, and help them develop their skills.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    Thorn
    Gunner
    Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply play because it's fun! Just a great game that involves so much and so many... Very Happy
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartplayer Dot Net Forum Index -> "Straight Shooting" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: